Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The direct costs of fatal and non-fatal falls among older adults—United States.J Safety Res. 2016; 58: 99-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2016.05.001
- The epidemiologic data on falls, 1998–2010: more older Americans report falling.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 443-445https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.7533
- Falls and fall injuries among adults aged ≥65 years—United States, 2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 993-998https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6537a2
- Geriatric falls: injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2001; 50: 116-119https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200101000-00021
- Deaths from unintentional injury among adults aged 65 and over: United States, 2000–2013.NCHS Data Brief. U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2015: 199
- An Aging Nation: The Older Population in the United States, Current Population Reports, P25-1140.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2014
- Risk factors for falls among older adults: a review of the literature.Maturitas. 2013; 75: 51-61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2013.02.009
- Interventions to prevent falls among older adults.in: Doll L.S. Bonzo S.E. Sleet D.A. Mercy J.A. Handbook of Injury and Violence Prevention. 1st ed. Springer, New York, NY2008: 37-53
WHO. WHO global report on falls prevention in older age. www.who.int/ageing/projects/falls_prevention_older_age/en.%20Published%202008. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- An Inventory of Canadian Programs for the Prevention of Falls Among Seniors Living in the Community.FPT Ministries Responsible for Seniors Fall Prevention Initiatives, Ottawa, Canada2001
- The epidemiology of falls and syncope.Clin Geriatr Med. 2002; 18: 141-158https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0690(02)00002-2
- Associations between obesity and overweight and fall risk, health status and quality of life in older people.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2014; 38: 13-18https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12152
- Effect of obesity on falls, injury, and disability.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 124-129https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03767.x
- The influence of obesity on falls and quality of life.Dyn Med. 2008; 7: 4https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-5918-7-4
CDC. Behavioral Risk Factors Surveillance System Web Enables Analysis Tool. https://nccd.cdc.gov/weat/#/. Accessed December 8, 2017.
National Obesity Observatory. Measures of central adiposity as an indicator of obesity. http://khub.net/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=4c335064-07d8-4203-9c61-c64bc50e7ee6&groupId=31798783. Published August 2009. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- BMI-related errors in the measurement of obesity.Int J Obes. 2008; 32: S56-S59https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.87
- Normal-weight central obesity: implications for total and cardiovascular mortality.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 827-835https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-2525
- Biomechanical effects of obesity on balance.Int J Exerc Sci. 2012; 5: 301-320
- Obesity in elderly subjects.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S398-S402https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-S347
- Increased risk for falling associated with obesity: mathematical modeling of postural control.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2001; 9: 126-136https://doi.org/10.1109/7333.928572
- Body anthropometry and the risk of hip and wrist fractures in men: results from a prospective study.Obes Res. 1998; 6: 12-19https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1998.tb00309.x
Health and Retirement Study. Health and Retirement Study 2014 core data description and usage. http://hrsonline.isr.umich.edu/modules/meta/2014/core/desc/h14dd.pdf. Published November 2016. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- Cohort profile: The Health and Retirement Study (HRS).Int J Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 576-585https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyu067
- Definition of metabolic syndrome report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association Conference on scientific issues related to definition.Circulation. 2004; 109: 433-438https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000111245.75752.C6
- Diabetes medications related to an increased risk of falls and fall-related morbidity in the elderly.Ann Pharmacother. 2010; 44: 712-717https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1M551
- Associated factors for falls among the community-dwelling older people assessed by annual geriatric health examinations.PLoS One. 2001; 6: e18976https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0018976
- Developmental origin of fat: tracking obesity to its source.Cell. 2007; 131: 242-256https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.10.004
- Advanced Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription. 7th ed. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2014
- Impact of overweight and obesity on the musculoskeletal system using lumbosacral angles.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2016; 10: 291-296https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S90967
- Kinesiology: Scientific Basis of Human Motion. 11th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2008
- Estimating deaths attributable to obesity in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1486-1489https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.9.1486
- Fall severity and bone mineral density as risk factors for hip fracture in ambulatory elderly.JAMA. 1994; 271: 128-133https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03510260060029
- Abdominal obesity and risk of hip fracture: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Osteoporos Int. 2017; 28: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-017-4142-9
- Sarcopenic obesity and its temporal associations with changes in bone mineral density, incident falls, and fractures in older men: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project.J Bone Miner Res. 2017; 32: 575-583https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.3016
- Waist and hip circumferences and all-cause mortality: usefulness of the waist-to-hip ratio?.Int J Obes. 2004; 28: 741-747https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802635