Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Outdoor air pollution and asthma.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1581-1592https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60617-6
- Air pollution and cardiovascular disease: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Expert Panel on Population and Prevention Science of the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2004; 109: 2655-2671https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000128587.30041.C8
- Traffic-Related Air Pollution: A Critical Review of the Literature on Emissions, Exposure, and Health Effects. HEI Special Report 17.Health Effects Institute, Boston, MA2010
- Health effects of outdoor air pollution.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 153: 3-50https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.153.1.8542133
- Fine particulate air pollution and hospital admission for cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1127-1134https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.10.1127
- Ambient air pollution exposure and incident adult asthma in a nationwide cohort of U.S. women.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 190: 914-921https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201403-0525OC
- The effects of ambient air pollution on school absenteeism due to respiratory illnesses.Epidemiology. 2001; 12: 43-54https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200101000-00009
- Urban air pollution, and asthma and COPD hospital emergency room visits.Thorax. 2008; 63: 635-641https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.2007.091371
- Ambient air pollution and cardiovascular emergency department visits.Epidemiology. 2004; 15: 46-56https://doi.org/10.1097/01.EDE.0000101748.28283.97
- An association between air pollution and mortality in six U.S. cities.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1753-1759https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199312093292401
- Particulate air pollution as a predictor of mortality in a prospective study of U.S. adults.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 151: 669-674https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm/151.3_Pt_1.669
- Lung cancer, cardiopulmonary mortality, and long-term exposure to fine particulate air pollution.JAMA. 2002; 287: 1132-1141https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.9.1132
- Fine particulate matter and mortality: a comparison of the six cities and American Cancer Society cohorts with a Medicare cohort.Epidemiology. 2008; 19: 209-216https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0b013e3181632c09
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Air Quality Index (AQI) Basics. https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.aqi. Published 2016. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Technical Assistance Document for the Reporting of Daily Air Quality—The Air Quality Index (AQI).Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, Research Triangle Park, NC2016
- Public perception and behavior change in relationship to hot weather and air pollution.Environ Res. 2008; 107: 401-411https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2008.03.005
- Awareness of and compliance with air pollution advisories: a comparison of parents of asthmatics with other parents.J Asthma. 2006; 43: 235-239https://doi.org/10.1080/02770900600567114
- Activity change in response to bad air quality, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007–2010.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50526https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0050526
- Association between media alerts of air quality index and change of outdoor activity among adult asthma in six states, BRFSS, 2005.J Community Health. 2009; 34: 40-46https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-008-9126-4
- Patterns of sunscreen use on the face and other exposed skin among U.S. adults.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015; 73: 83-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2015.02.1112
- Features in grocery stores that motivate shoppers to buy healthier foods, ConsumerStyles 2014.J Community Health. 2016; 41: 812-817https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-016-0158-x
- Self-reported prevalence of alcohol screening among U.S. adults.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 380-383https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.09.016
CDC. Most recent asthma data. www.cdc.gov/asthma/most_recent_data.htm. Published 2017. Accessed November 7, 2017.
CDC. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention. DHDSP data trends & maps. www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/maps/dtm/index.html. Published 2015. Accessed November 7, 2017.
- Cardiovascular effects of air pollution.Clin Sci (Lond). 2008; 115: 175-187https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20070444
WHO. Ambient air pollution: a global assessment of exposure and burden of disease. Geneva: WHO. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/250141/1/9789241511353-eng.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed November 20, 2017.