Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Wide-ranging online data for epidemiologic research. http://wonder.cdc.gov/. Accessed January 25, 2016.
- Trends and geographic patterns in drug-poisoning death rates in the U.S., 1999–2009.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: e19-e25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.07.012
Rossen LM, Bastian B, Warner M, Khan D, Chong Y. Drug poisoning mortality: United States, 1999–2014. National Center for Health Statistics. https://blogs.cdc.gov/nchs-data-visualization/drug-poisoning-mortality/. Accessed January 20, 2016.
- Trends in premature mortality in the USA by sex, race, and ethnicity from 1999 to 2014: an analysis of death certificate data.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1043-1054https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30187-3
- Patterns and trends in accidental poisoning death rates in the U.S., 1979–2014.Prev Med. 2016; 89: 317-323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.04.007
- Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century.JAMA. 2015; 112: 15078-15083https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1518393112
- Morbidity and mortality in the 21st century. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity.The Brookings Institution, 2017Accessed March 23, 2017)
- Geographic variation in opioid and heroin involved drug poisoning mortality rates.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 745-753https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.06.009
- Social conditions as fundamental causes of disease.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 35: 80-94https://doi.org/10.2307/2626958
- Differential mortality across the United States: the influence of place-based inequality.in: Lobao L.M. Hooks G. Tickamyer A. The Sociology of Spatial Inequality. State University of New York Press, Albany, NY2007
- Explaining inequalities in women’s mortality between U.S. states.SSM Popul Health. 2016; 2: 561-571https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2016.07.004
- Exploring the inequality-mortality relationship in the U.S. with Bayesian spatial modeling.Popul Res Policy Rev. 2015; 34: 437-460https://doi.org/10.1007/s11113-014-9350-9
Pierce JR, Schott PK. Trade liberalization and mortality: evidence from U.S. counties. Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2016-094. Washington, DC: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. www.federalreserve.gov/econresdata/feds/2016/files/2016094pap.pdf. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- Disparities in disability by educational attainment across U.S. states.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1101-1108https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303768
- A conceptual framework for action on the social determinants of health. Social determinants of health discussion paper 2 (policy and practice).WHO, Geneva2010
- Place effects on health: how can we conceptualize, operationalise and measure them?.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 55: 125-139https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00214-3
- The examination of neighborhood effects on health: conceptual and methodological issues related to the presence of multiple levels of organization.in: Kawachi I. Berkman L.F. Neighborhood Effects and Health. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2003https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195138382.003.0003
- Mental health outcomes in times of economic recession: a systematic literature review.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 115https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-2720-y
- Economic recession, alcohol, and suicide rates: comparative effects of poverty, foreclosure, and job loss.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 469-475https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.09.021
- Cut Loose: Jobless and Hopeless in an Unfair Economy.University of California Press, Oakland, CA2015
- Those Who Work, Those Who Don’t: Poverty, Morality, and Family in Rural America.University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN2009
- Linking job loss, inequality, mental health, and education.Science. 2017; 356: 1127-1128https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aam5347
- “There’s nothing here”: deindustrialization as risk environment for overdose.Int J Drug Policy. 2016; 29: 19-26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2016.01.009
- Rural America in a Globalizing World: Problems and Prospects for the 2010s.West Virginia University Press, Morgantown, WV2014
- Economic Restructuring and Family Well-being in Rural America.Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, PA2011
- Challenges for Rural America in the Twenty-First Century.Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, PA2003
- Janesville: An American Story.Simon & Schuster, New York, NY2017
- Economic contraction, alcohol intoxication and suicide: analysis of the National Violent Death Reporting System.Inj Prev. 2015; 21: 35-41https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2014-041215
- Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of the All-American Town.Macmillan St. Martin’s Press, New York, NY2017
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic.Bloomsbury Press, New York, NY2015
- What explains the association between neighborhood-level income inequality and the risk of fatal overdose in New York City?.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 662-674https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.02.001
- Understanding the rural-urban difference in nonmedical prescription opioid use and abuse in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e52-e59https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301709
- The social environment and health: a discussion of the epidemiologic literature.Annu Rev Public Health. 1999; 20: 287-308https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.20.1.287
- Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community.Touchstone Books, New York, NY2001
- Declining autopsy rates and suicide misclassification.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 1050-1057https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.66
- Beyond suicide: action needed to improve self-injury mortality accounting.JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; 71: 231-232https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.3738
U.S. Census Bureau. Decennial Census 2000. https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. Accessed January 15, 2016.
U.S. Census Bureau. Small Area Health Insurance Estimates. www.census.gov/programs-surveys/sahie.html. Published 2008. Accessed June 14, 2017.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. County typology codes, 2015 edition. www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/county-typology-codes/. Accessed January 15, 2016.
Rupasingha A, Goetz SJ, Freshwater D. County-level measure of social capital. Northeast Regional Center for Rural Development. http://aese.psu.edu/nercrd/community/social-capital-resources. Accessed June 30, 2016.
U.S. DHHS, Health Resources and Services Administration. Area Health Resource Files Database. http://ahrf.hrsa.gov/download.htm. Accessed May 13, 2016.
- Reducing potentially excess deaths from the five leading causes of death in the rural United States.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 1-7https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6602a1
- Trends in abuse and misuse of prescription opioids among older adults.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 149: 117-121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.01.027
Tanielian T, Jaycox LH, Schell T, et al. Invisible wounds: mental health and cognitive needs of America’s returning veterans. RAND Corporation. www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9336.html. Accessed February 8, 2017.
- Missing Data.Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2002https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412985079
- Disordered neighborhood environments and risk-taking propensity in late childhood through adolescence.J Adolesc Health. 2012; 50: 100-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.04.008
- Health effects of economic instability: a test of economic stress hypothesis.J Health Soc Behav. 1983; 24: 46-60https://doi.org/10.2307/2136302
- Socioeconomic disparities in health: pathways and policies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2002; 21: 60-76https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.21.2.60
- Pharmaceutical overpromotion liability: the legal battle over rural prescription drug abuse.KY Law J. 2005; 93: 269
- What does the community say: key informant perceptions of rural prescription drug use.J Drug Issues. 2007; 37: 503-524https://doi.org/10.1177/002204260703700302
- Decline in drug overdose deaths after state policy changes—Florida, 2010–2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 569-574
Selby RJ. The impact of substance abuse insurance mandates. Working Paper. http://pages.uoregon.edu/rebekahs/rebekahselby_jmp.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed July 17, 2017.
- Prescription drug laws, drug overdoses, and drug sales in New York and Pennsylvania.J Public Health Policy. 2010; 31: 422-432https://doi.org/10.1057/jphp.2010.27
- Medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in the United States, 1999–2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1668-1673https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.4005
- Mandatory provider review and pain clinic laws reduce the amounts of opioids prescribed and overdose death rates.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1876-1883https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0448
Monnat SM. Drugs, alcohol, and suicide represent growing share of U.S. mortality. Carsey School of Public Policy. https://carsey.unh.edu/publication/drugs-alcohol-suicide. Accessed February 8, 2017.
- A theoretical proposal for the relationship between context and disease.Soc Health Illness. 2001; 23: 776-797https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9566.00275