Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Injury prevention and control: data and statistics (WISQARS). www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/.
- Committee on Injury, Violence, and Poison Prevention. Child passenger safety. Technical report.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1050-e1066https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0213
- Motor Vehicle Occupant Protection Facts—Children, Youth, Young Adults (Fact Book).National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DCMarch 2016 (Report No.: DOT HS 812 251)
- The 2013 National Survey of the Use of Booster Seats.National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DCJune 2014 (Report No.: DOT HS 812 037)
- Results of the National Child Restrain Use Special Study.National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DCMay 2015 (Report No.: DOT HS 812 142)
- Providing car seat checks with well-child visits at an urban health center: a pilot study.Inj Prev. 2007; 13: 352-354https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2006.015099
- A systematic review of technology-based interventions for unintentional injury prevention education and behaviour change.Inj Prev. 2017; 23: 138-146https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2015-041740
- Using a computer kiosk to promote child safety: results of a randomized, controlled trial in an urban pediatric emergency department.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 330-339https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-2703
- Using the pediatric emergency department to deliver tailored safety messages: results of a randomized controlled trial.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013; 29: 628-634https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0b013e31828e9cd2
- Dog bites: an opportunity for parent education in the pediatric emergency department.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012; 28: 966-970https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0b013e31826c6c13
- Improving pediatric prevention via the internet: a randomized, controlled trial.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 1157-1166https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-0209
- A computerized kiosk to teach injury prevention: is it as effective as human interaction?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 77: S2-S7https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000317
- Baby, Be Safe: the effect of tailored communications for pediatric injury prevention provided in a primary care setting.Patient Educ Couns. 2002; 46: 175-190https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(01)00211-7
- Preventing unintentional pediatric injuries: a tailored intervention for parents and providers.Health Educ Res. 2008; 23: 656-669https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cym041
- Effectiveness of web-based tailored advice on parents’ child safety behaviors: randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2014; 16: e17https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2521
- Evaluation of kiosk-based tailoring to promote household safety behaviors in an urban pediatric primary care practice.Patient Educ Couns. 2005; 58: 168-181https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2004.08.015
White A. U.S. Smartphone use in 2015. Pew Research Center on Internet and Technology. www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/01/us-smartphone-use-in-2015/. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Evaluating a smartphone application to improve child passenger safety and fire safety knowledge and behaviour.Inj Prev. 2017; 23: 58https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2016-042161
Shields WC, Perry EM, McDonald EM, et al. Cell phone use among parents visiting an urban pediatric emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care. In press.
- An emergency department intervention to increase booster seat use for lower socioeconomic families.Acad Emerg Med. 2006; 13: 396-400
- Preventive care in the emergency department, part I: clinical preventive services—Are they relevant to emergency medicine?.Acad Emerg Med. 2008; 7: 1036-1041https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2000.tb02097.x
- A systematic review of emergency department technology-based behavioral health interventions.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 318-328https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2012.01299.x
American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. Resources for the Optimal Care of the Injured Patient 2014. www.facs.org/quality-programs/trauma/vrc/resources. Published 2014.
- A smartphone app to communicate child passenger safety: an application of theory to practice.Health Educ Res. 2015; 30: 683-692https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyv035
- The elaboration likelihood model of persuasion.Communication and Persuasion. Springer, New York, NY1986: 1-24https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4612-4964-1
- The precaution adoption process.Health Psychol. 1988; 7: 355-386https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.2065
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2011.568786
- A comparison of the ability of different propensity score models to balance measured variables between treated and untreated subjects: a Monte Carlo study.Stat Med. 2007; 26: 734-753https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.2580
- Reducing bias in observational studies using subclassification on the propensity score.J Am Stat Assoc. 1984; 79: 516-524https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1984.10478078
- Evaluation of Safe Kids Week 2004: age 4 to 9? It’s booster seat time!.Inj Prev. 2006; 12: 316-319https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2006.012138
- Legislating child restraint usage—its effect on self-reported child restraint use rates in a central city.J Safety Res. 2010; 41: 47-52https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2009.12.004
- Effects of booster seat education and distribution program in child care centers on child restrain use among children aged 4 to 8 years.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008; 163: 261-267https://doi.org/10.1001/archpediatrics.2008.564
- Booster seat use in an inner-city day care center population.Traffic Inj Prev. 2008; 9: 238-242https://doi.org/10.1080/15389580801958471
- Developing computerized tailored health messages.in: Bensley R.J. Brookins-Fisher J. Community Health Education Methods: A Practical Guide. 2nd ed. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Boston, MA2003: 255-289
- Carpooling and booster seats: a national survey of parents.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 290-298https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0575
- Disparities in age-appropriate child passenger restraint use among children aged 1 to 12 years.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 262-271https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1908
- Validation of two child passenger safety questionnaires.Inj Prev. 2010; 16: 343-347https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2009.022681