Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Human Rights Watch. World Report 2015: North Korea. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2015/country-chapters/north-korea. Published January 29, 2015. Accessed April 18, 2018.
- Freedom in the World 2014: North Korea.Freedom House, Washington, DC2014
UN Human Rights Council. Report of the detailed findings of the commission of inquiry on human rights in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G14/108/71/PDF/G1410871.pdf?OpenElement. Published February 7, 2014. Accessed April 18, 2018.
Darusman M. Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/RegularSessions/Session28/Documents/A_HRC_28_71_en.doc. Published March 18, 2015. Accessed June 1, 2018
Han D, Kim S, Lee K, Lee K, Cho J. White Paper on Human Rights in North Korea, 2014. http://www.kinu.or.kr/www/jsp/prg/api/dlLE.jsp?menuIdx=648&category=74&thisPage=1&searchField=&searchText=. Published July 2014. Accessed June 1, 2018.
Amnesty International. The Crumbling State of Health Care in North Korea. https://www.amnesty.org/download/Documents/36000/asa240012010en.pdf. Published July 15, 2010. Accessed April 19, 2018.
Human Rights Watch. A Matter of Survival: The North Korean Government’s Control of Food and the Risk of Hunger. https://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/northkorea0506/northkorea0506webwcover.pdf. Published May 4, 2006. Accessed April 18, 2018.
UN Human Rights Council. Report of the commission of inquiry on human rights in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/CoIDPRK/Pages/ReportoftheCommissionofInquiryDPRK.aspx. Published February 7, 2014. Accessed April 18, 2018.
- Trauma experience of North Korean refugees in China.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 225-229https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(00)00282-8
- Traumatic experiences and mental health of North Korean refugees in South Korea.Psychiatry Investig. 2008; 5: 213-220https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2008.5.4.213
- Prevalence and correlates of psychiatric symptoms in North Korean defectors.Psychiatry Investig. 2011; 8: 179-185https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2011.8.3.179
- Lifetime events and posttraumatic stress disorder in 4 postconflict settings.JAMA. 2001; 286: 555-562https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.286.5.555
- Mental health, social functioning, and disability in postwar Afghanistan.JAMA. 2004; 292: 575-584https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.292.5.575
- Mental health in complex emergencies.Lancet. 2004; 364: 2058-2067https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)17519-3
- Experiences of Iraqi doctors in Jordan during conflict and factors associated with migration.Am J Disaster Med. 2010; 5: 41-47https://doi.org/10.5055/ajdm.2010.0005
- Understanding the impact of conflict on health services in Iraq: information from 401 Iraqi refugee doctors in Jordan.Int J Health Plann Manage. 2012; 27: e51-e64https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.1091
- Prevalence of HIV risk behaviors among undocumented Central American immigrant women in Houston, Texas.AIDS Behav. 2012; 16: 1641-1648https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-011-0130-9
- Effectiveness of respondent driven sampling to recruit undocumented Central American immigrant women in Houston, Texas for an HIV behavioral survey.AIDS Behav. 2013; 17: 719-727https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-012-0306-y
- Months of Adequate Household Food Provisioning (MAHFP) for Measurement of Household Food Access: Indicator Guide.USAID, Washington, DC2007
- Introducing a Simple Method of Household Hunger for Cross-Cultural Use.USAID, Washington, DC2011
- The Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSCL): a self-report symptom inventory.Behav Sci. 1974; 19: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1002/bs.3830190102
- The Harvard Trauma Questionnaire. Validating a cross-cultural instrument for measuring torture, trauma, and posttraumatic stress disorder in Indochinese refugees.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1992; 180: 111-116https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-199202000-00008
- Concordance between symptom screening and diagnostic procedure: the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25 and the Composite International Diagnostic Interview I.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1998; 33: 345-354https://doi.org/10.1007/s001270050064
- Screening for depression and PTSD in a Cambodian population unaffected by war: comparing the Hopkins Symptom Checklist and Harvard Trauma Questionnaire with the structured clinical interview.J Nerv Ment Dis. 2007; 195: 152-157https://doi.org/10.1097/01.nmd.0000254747.03333.70
- Indochinese versions of the Hopkins Symptom Checklist-25: a screening instrument for the psychiatric care of refugees.Am J Psychiatry. 1987; 144: 497-500https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.144.4.497
- The Harvard Trauma Questionnaire (HTQ): Manual for Use with Cambodian, Lao, and Vietnamese Versions.Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma, Harvard School of Public Health, Cambridge, MA1994
- The Harvard Trauma Questionnaire: validating a cross-cultural instrument for measuring torture, trauma, and posttraumatic stress disorder in Indochinese refugees.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1992; 180: 111-116https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-199202000-00008
- The Harvard trauma questionnaire: adapting a cross-cultural instrument for measuring torture, trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in Iraqi refugees.Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2007; 53: 447-463https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764007078362
- The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity.Med Care. 1996; 34: 220-233https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199603000-00003
- Mental health, social functioning, and attitudes of Kosovar Albanians following the war in Kosovo.JAMA. 2000; 284: 569-577https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.5.569
- SF-36 Health Survey, Manual & Interpretation Guide. 2nd ed. The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA1997
- Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data—or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India.Demography. 2001; 38: 115-132
- The DHS Wealth Index. DHS Comparative Reports 6.ORC Macro, Calverton, MD2004
- White Paper on Korean Unification.Ministry of Unification, Jongno-gu, Republic of Korea2014
- Prevalence and correlates of DSM-IV mental disorders in South Korean adults: the Korean Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study 2011.Psychiatry Investig. 2015; 12: 164-170https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2015.12.2.164
- Common mental disorders in postconflict settings.Lancet. 2003; 361: 2128-2130https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13692-6
- Prevalence of serious mental disorder in 7000 refugees resettled in western countries: a systematic review.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1309-1314https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)61027-6
- Mental health symptoms following war and repression in eastern Afghanistan.JAMA. 2004; 292: 585-593https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.292.5.585
- Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2009; 302: 537-549https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1132
- Karenni refugees living in Thai-Burmese border camps: traumatic experiences, mental health outcomes, and social functioning.Soc Sci Med. 2004; 58: 2637-2644https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.09.024
- Predisplacement and postdisplacement factors associated with mental health of refugees and internally displaced persons: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2005; 294: 602-612https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.5.602
- Factors associated with poor mental health among Guatemalan refugees living in Mexico 20 years after civil conflict.JAMA. 2003; 290: 635-642https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.5.635
- The criterion a problem revisited: controversies and challenges in defining and measuring psychological trauma.J Trauma Stress. 2007; 20: 107-121https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20210
- Which instruments are most commonly used to assess traumatic event exposure and posttraumatic effects? A survey of traumatic stress professionals.J Trauma Stress. 2005; 18: 541-545https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.20062
- Epi + demos + cracy: linking political systems and priorities to the magnitude of health inequities—evidence, gaps, and a research agenda.Epidemiol Rev. 2009; 31: 152-177https://doi.org/10.1093/epirev/mxp002
- Political violence, ethnic conflict, and contemporary wars: broad implications for health and social well-being.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 55: 175-190https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00261-1
- Political violence and mental health: a multi-disciplinary review of the literature on Nepal.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 70: 35-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.09.037
- Commentary: explaining enormous variations in rates of disorder in trauma-focused psychiatric epidemiology after major emergencies.Int J Epidemiol. 2009; 38: 1045-1048https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyp203
- Health and human rights in Karen State, Eastern Myanmar.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0133822https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0133822
- Addressing social determinants of health inequities: what can the state and civil society do?.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1684-1689https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61693-1
- Individual and collective determinants of mental health during wartime. A survey of displaced populations amidst the July–August 2006 war in Lebanon.Glob Public Health. 2011; 6: 354-370https://doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2010.494163
- Epidemiology and social sciences: towards a critical reengagement in the 21st century.Epidemiol Rev. 2000; 22: 155-163https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.epirev.a018014
- Theories for social epidemiology in the 21st century: an ecosocial perspective.Int J Epidemiol. 2001; 30: 668-677https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/30.4.668
- Struggles with survey weighting and regression modeling.Stat Sci. 2007; 22: 153-164https://doi.org/10.1214/088342306000000691
- Using respondent-driven sampling methodology for HIV biological and behavioral surveillance in international settings: a systematic review.AIDS Behav. 2008; 12: S105-S130https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-008-9421-1
- Implementation challenges to using respondent-driven sampling methodology for HIV biological and behavioral surveillance: field experiences in international settings.AIDS Behav. 2008; 12: S131-S141https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-008-9413-1