Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Geriatric falls: injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism.J Trauma. 2001; 50: 116-119https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200101000-00021
CDC. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS). www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- U.S. spending on personal health care and public health, 1996–2013.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2627-2646https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.16885
- Medical costs of fatal and nonfatal falls in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 693-698https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15304
- Falls in older people: epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: ii37-ii41https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afl084
- Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1701-1707https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198812293192604
- Clinical review: the effect of vitamin D on falls: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 2997-3006https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2011-1193
- A Quality Use of Medicines program for general practitioners and older people: a cluster randomised controlled trial.Med J Aust. 2007; 187: 23-30
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 9https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007146.pub3
- Does the ‘Otago exercise programme’ reduce mortality and falls in older adults?: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 681-687https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afq102
- Effect on falls of providing single lens distance vision glasses to multifocal glasses wearers: VISIBLE randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2010; 340: c2265https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c2265
- Falls and health status in elderly women following first eye cataract surgery: a randomised controlled trial.Br J Ophthalmol. 2005; 89: 53-59https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2004.049478
- Prevention of falls in the elderly: a review.Scand J Public Health. 2013; 41: 442-454https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494813483215
O’Hara B, Caswell K. Health status, health insurance, and medical services utilization: 2010. Current Population Reports. www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p70-133.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed August 3, 2017.
- Summary of the updated American Geriatrics Society/British Geriatrics Society clinical practice guideline for prevention of falls in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 148-157https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03234.x
- Perceptions of physicians on the barriers and facilitators to integrating fall risk evaluation and management into practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 117-122https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-006-0244-3
- Fall-risk assessment and management in clinical practice: views from healthcare providers.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1522-1526https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52416.x
- Detection and management of falls and instability in vulnerable elders by community physicians.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1527-1531https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52417.x
U.S. Census Bureau. Population estimates. www.census.gov. Published 2014. Accessed August 3, 2015.
- Prevalence and burden of gait disorders in elderly men and women aged 60–97 years: a population-based study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e69627https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069627
- Prevalence of disability and disability type among adults—United States, 2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 777-783https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.MM6429a2
- Potentially inappropriate medication use in the community-dwelling elderly: findings from the 1996 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2823-2829https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.286.22.2823
Looker AC, Johnson CL, Lacher DA, Pfeiffer CM, Schleicher RL, Sempos CT. Vitamin D status: United States, 2001–2006. NCHS Data Brief. 2011;(59):1–8.
NIH National Eye Institute. U.S. Age-Specific Prevalence Rates for Cataract by Age, and Race/Ethnicity. https://nei.nih.gov/eyedata/cataract/tables. Published 2010. Accessed February 13, 2018.
- Costs of refractive correction of distance vision impairment in the United States, 1999–2002.Ophthalmology. 2006; 113: 2163-2170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2006.06.033
- The prevalence and demographic associations of presenting near-vision impairment among adults living in the United States.Am J Ophthalmol. 2017; 174: 134-144https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2016.11.004
- Environmental hazards in the homes of older people.Age Ageing. 1997; 26: 195-202https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/26.3.195
CDC. A CDC Compendium of Effective Fall Interventions: What Works for Community-Dwelling Older Adults. www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/compendium.html. Published 2015. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Disorders of balance and vestibular function in U.S. adults: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001–2004.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 938-944https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.66
- Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2012.Vital Health Stat. 2014; 10: 1-161
- Psychotropic medication withdrawal and a home-based exercise program to prevent falls: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 850-853https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb03843.x
- Randomised factorial trial of falls prevention among older people living in their own homes.BMJ. 2002; 325: 128https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7356.128
- Adherence to community based group exercise interventions for older people: a mixed-methods systematic review.Prev Med. 2016; 87: 155-166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.02.037
- Exercise adherence following physical therapy intervention in older adults with impaired balance.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 401-410
- Adherence to exercise programs for older people is influenced by program characteristics and personal factors: a systematic review.J Physiother. 2014; 60: 151-156https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2014.06.012
- Falls and fall injuries among adults aged >/=65 years—United States, 2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 993-998https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6537a2
- The direct costs of fatal and non-fatal falls among older adults—United States.J Safety Res. 2016; 58: 99-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2016.05.001
- Lessons learned from implementing CDC’s STEADI falls prevention algorithm in primary care.Gerontologist. 2017; 57: 787-796https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnw074
- Implementing a clinically based fall prevention program.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1177/1559827617716085
- Implementing STEADI in academic primary care to address older adult fall risk.Innov Aging. 2017; 1: igx028https://doi.org/10.1093/geroni/igx028
- A cost-benefit analysis of three older adult fall prevention interventions.J Safety Res. 2015; 52: 65-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2014.12.007
- Development of STEADI: a fall prevention resource for health care providers.Health Promot Pract. 2013; 14: 706-714https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839912463576
- The CDC’s STEADI Initiative: promoting older adult health and independence through fall prevention.Am Fam Physician. 2017; 96: 220-221