Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.HHS, Washington, DC2008
- Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report.HHS, Washington, DC2008
HHS. Healthy People 2020: Data 2020. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/data-search/. Accessed July 13, 2017.
- Step It Up! The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities.HHS, Office of the Surgeon General, Washington, DC2015
- Walking to health.Sports Med. 1997; 23: 306-332
- Walking for transportation and leisure among U.S. adults—National Health Interview Survey 2010.J Phys Act Health. 2015; 12: S62-S69
- Prevalence of transportation and leisure walking among U.S. adults.Prev Med. 2008; 47: 329-334
- Correlates of walking for transportation or recreation purposes.J Phys Act Health. 2006; 3: S77-S98
- Walking behaviors reported in the American Time Use Survey 2003–2005.J Phys Act Health. 2008; 5: 633-647
- Modes Less Traveled—Bicycling and Walking to Work in the United States: 2008–2012.U.S. Census Bureau, New York2014
- Walking distance by trip purpose and population subgroups.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 11-19
- Commuting in America 2013: The National Report on Commuting Patterns and Trends.American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, DC2015
- National Household Travel Survey.http://nhts.ornl.gov/tools.shtml(Accessed May 4,)Date: 2018
- Walking and cycling in the United States, 2001–2009: evidence from the National Household Travel Surveys.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: S310-S317
- Urban, rural, and regional variations in physical activity.J Rural Health. 2005; 21: 239-244
- Nonoccupational physical activity by degree of urbanization and U.S. geographic region.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004; 36: 2093-2098
- Environmental correlates of walking and cycling: findings from the transportation, urban design, and planning literatures.Ann Behav Med. 2003; 25: 80-91
- Built environment correlates of walking: a review.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: S550-S566
- A cross-sectional study on health differences between rural and non-rural U.S. counties using the County Health Rankings.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 441
- Widening rural-urban disparities in life expectancy, U.S., 1969–2009.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: e19-e29
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Health Statistics, 2015. Survey description, National Health Interview Survey. ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_ Documentation/NHIS/2015/srvydesc.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed July 13, 2017.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Health Statistics. National Health Interview Survey. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/index.htm. Accessed July 17, 2017.
U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau. Census Regions and Divisions of the United States. Published 2013.
- Health Insurance Coverage: Early Release of Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2015.National Center for Health Statistics, 2016
- The cost and coverage implications of the ACA Medicaid expansion: national and state-by-state analysis.Published 2012. Accessed September 25,)
- Defining rural at the U.S. Census Bureau: American Community Survey and Geography Brief.U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau, 2016
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 129: e28
- Regional disparities in obesity prevalence in the United States: a spatial regime analysis.Obesity. 2015; 23: 481-487
- Walking and the perception of neighborhood attributes among U.S. adults, 2012.J Phys Act Health. 2017; 14: 36-44
- Environmental supports for physical activity, National Health Interview Survey—2015.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 294-298
- Prevalence of Complete Streets policies in U.S. municipalities.J Transp Health. 2017; 5: 142-150
- Destination and route attributes associated with adults’ walking: a review.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012; 44: 1275-1286
- Review of studies on pedestrian and bicyclist safety, 1991–2007 (Report No. DOT HS 811 614).National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC2012
- Understanding the demographic differences in neighborhood walking supports.J Phys Act Health. 2017; 14: 253-264
- Popkin BM. Environment and physical activity dynamics: the role of residential self-selection.Psychol Sport Exerc. 2011; 12: 54-60
- Peak millennials: three reinforcing cycles that amplify the rise and fall of urban concentration by millennials.Hous Policy Debate. 2016; 26: 928-947
U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. Small Town and Rural Multimodal Networks; 2016.
- Stories from Small Towns: America Paves the Way for Connected Citizens, Health, and Town Pride.Atlanta, GA;.2016
- Active Transportation Beyond Urban Centers: Walking and Bicycling in Small Towns and Rural America.Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Washington, DC2012