Older adults are a rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. Mobility problems that lead to further disability can be addressed through physical activity interventions. Quality of life outcome results are reported from a large trial of physical activity for sedentary older adults at risk for mobility disability.
Data were from the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders study. This multisite RCT compared physical activity to health education among 1,635 randomly assigned sedentary older adults at risk for mobility disability in 2010–2011. Measures included demographics; comorbidity; a timed 400-meter walk; the Short Physical Performance Battery; and the Quality of Well-Being Scale (0–1.0 scale). Baseline and long-term follow-up (2.6 years) health-related quality of life data were collected as a secondary outcome. Multivariate linear regression modeling was used to examine covariates of health-related quality of life over time in 2017.
The sample had an overall mean Quality of Well-Being score of 0.613. Both groups declined in quality of life over time, but assignment to the physical activity intervention resulted in a slower decline in health-related quality of life scores (p=0.03). Intervention attendance was associated with higher health-related quality of life for both groups. Baseline characteristics including younger age, fewer comorbid conditions, non-white ethnicity, and faster 400-meter walk times were also associated with higher health-related quality of life over time.
Declining mobility measured by physical performance is associated with lower quality of life in sedentary older adults. Physical activity interventions can slow the decline in quality of life, and targeting specific subgroups may enhance the effects of such interventions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Nutrition, physical activity, and quality of life in older adults: summary.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: 89-94
- U.S. norms for six generic health-related quality-of-life indexes from the National Health Measurement study.Med Care. 2007; 45: 1162-1170
- Quality of well-being in older people with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 49: 23-28
- The Quality of Well-Being Scale: Rationale for a Single Quality of Life Index.Centre for Medicines Research Workshop, CIBA Foundation, Lancaster, England, Boston1988
- Health-related quality of life in older adults at risk for disability.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 214-218
- Gender differences in health-related quality of life.Health Psychol. 1991; 10: 86-93
- Effect of changes in moderate or vigorous physical activity on changes in health-related quality of life of elderly British women over seven years.Qual Life Res. 2013; 22: 2011-2020
- Body mass index and quality of well-being in a community of older adults.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 26: 126-129
- Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of major mobility disability in older adults: the LIFE study randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2387-2396
- Cost-effectiveness of the LIFE physical activity intervention for older adults at increased risk for mobility disability.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 656-662
- Optimizing the benefits of exercise on physical function in older adults.PM R. 2014; 6: 528-543
- Physical activity and cognitive function: theoretical bases, mechanisms, and moderators.in: Acevedo EO The Oxford Handbook of Exercise Psychology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2012
- Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials.2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA1996
- The Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study: design and methods.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66A: 1226-1237
- Lower-extremity function in persons over the age of 70 years as a predictor of subsequent disability.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 556-561
- The Quality of Well-Being Scale: comparison of the interviewer-administered version with a self-administered questionnaire.Psych Health. 1997; 12: 783-791
- User's Manual: Quality of Well-Being Scale, Self-Administered.UCSD Health Services Research Center School of Medicine, University of California-San Diego, La Jolla, CA2003
- The cost-effectiveness of lifestyle modification or metformin in preventing type 2 diabetes in adults with impaired glucose tolerance.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 323-332
- Rationale and design of the Glycemia Reduction Approaches in Diabetes: A Comparative Effectiveness Study (GRADE).Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2254-2261
- Cost effectiveness of lung-volume-reduction surgery for patients with severe emphysema.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2092-2102
- Performance of a self-administered mailed version of the Quality of Well-Being (QWB-SA) questionnaire among older adults.Med Care. 1998; 36: 1349-1360
- Validity of self-administered Quality of Well-Being Scale in musculoskeletal disease.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 51: 28-33
- Assessing the impact of migraine on health-related quality of life: an additional use of the Quality of Well-Being Scale–Self-Administered.Headache. 2000; 40: 662-671
- Comparison of German language versions of the QWB-SA and SF-36 evaluating outcomes for patients with prostate disease.Qual Life Res. 2001; 10: 165-173
- The health-related quality-of-life impact of histamine dihydrochloride plus interleukin-2 compared with interleukin-2 alone in patients with metastatic melanoma.Support Care Cancer. 2003; 11: 304-312
- Measuring outcomes of cataract surgery using the Quality of Well-Being Scale and VF-14 Visual Function Index.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2005; 31: 369-378
- Valuing health-related quality of life in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 2238-2243
- Measurement of health-related quality of life in the National Emphysema Treatment Trial.Chest. 2004; 126: 781-789
- Use of the Quality of Well-Being Self-Administered version (QWB-SA) in assessing health-related quality of life in depressed patients.J Affect Disord. 2003; 76: 237-247
- The minimally clinically important difference in generic utility-based measures.COPD. 2005; 2: 91-97
- Methods for assessing relative importance in preference based outcome measures.in: Joyce CRBE McGee HM O'Boyle CA Individual Quality of Life: Approaches to Conceptualisation and Assessment. Harwood Academic, Amsterdam1999: 135-149
- An Internet-based physical activity intervention to improve quality of life of inactive older adults: a randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2016; 18: e74
- The effect of an outdoor activities’ intervention delivered by older volunteers on the quality of life of older people with severe mobility limitations: a randomized controlled trial.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2015; 27: 161-169
- Simultaneous Statistical Inference.Springer Verlag, New York1981
- Racial and educational disparities in mobility limitation among older women: what is the role of modifiable risk factors?.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014; 69: 772-783
- Socioeconomic disparities in health among older adults and the implications for the retirement age debate: a brief report.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014; 69: 973-978
U.S. Census Bureau. American FactFinder—Results. Factfinder.census.gov.
Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of American Journal of Preventive Medicine.