Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Employer–sponsored health insurance in the United States—origins and implications.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 82-88
Kaiser Family Foundation estimates based on the Census Bureau's March Current Population Survey (CPS: Annual Social and Economic Supplements), 2014–2017. www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/nonelderly-0-64/. Accessed December 28, 2018.
- Health insurance coverage for 50- to 64-year-olds.Insight on the Issues I59, AARP Public Policy Institute, 2012www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/public_policy_institute/health/Health-Insurance-Coverage-for-50-64-year-olds-insight-AARP-ppi-health.pdf(Accessed December 17, 2018)
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care (with CD).The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2003
- Marital status is associated with health insurance coverage for working-age women at all income levels, 2007.NCHS Data Brief. 2008; : 11
- Health insurance coverage of immigrants living in the United States: differences by citizenship status and country of origin.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 917-923
Brault MW, Blumenthal LF. Health Insurance Coverage of Workers Aged 18 to 64, by Work experience: 2008 and 2010. American Community Survey Briefs. U.S. Census Bureau. Published 2011.
Protecting Affordable Coverage for Employees Act, Pub L No. 114-60, 129 Stat. 543 (October 7, 2015).
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Pub L No. 111-148 (March 2010).
- U.S. healthcare reform: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.J Risk Insur. 2010; 77: 703-708
Cohen RA, Martinez ME, Zammitti EP. Health insurance coverage: early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2015. National Center for Health Statistics. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/releases.htm. Published May 2016. Accessed December 17, 2018.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in health care access and utilization under the Affordable Care Act.Med Care. 2016; 54: 140-146
- The policy implications of nonstandard work arrangements.Employment Research. 1999; 6: 5-7
- Classifying work in the new economy.Acad Manage Rev. 2013; 38: 575-596
- The potential effects of federal health insurance reforms on employment arrangements and compensation.in: Upjohn Institute Working Paper 15-228. W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, Kalamazoo, MI2015
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Worker Health Information from the National Health Interview Survey. www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/nhis/default.html. Accessed September 17, 2018.
Bushnell T, Scharf T, Alterman T, et al. Developing a taxonomy of work arrangements to examine relationships with worker safety, health, and well-being. Poster presented at Work, Stress and Health 2017; Minneapolis, MN, June 8. www.apa.org/wsh/past/2017/preliminary-program.pdf. Accessed December 28, 2018.
- Alternative work arrangements: two images of the new world of work.Annu Rev Organ Psychol OrganBehav. 2017; 4: 473-499
- Nonstandard work arrangements and worker health and safety.Am J Ind Med. 2017; 60: 1-10
- The effects of the Affordable Care Act on workers’ health insurance coverage.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1393-1395
- Design and estimation for the National Health Interview Survey, 2006–2015.Vital Health Stat. 2014; 2: 1-53
- Changes in self-reported insurance coverage, access to care, and health under the Affordable Care Act.JAMA. 2015; 314: 366-374
- Sustained gains in coverage, access, and affordability under the ACA: a 2017 update.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1656-1662
- The Affordable Care Act reduced socioeconomic disparities in health care access.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1503-1510
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. National Compensation Survey website. www.bls.gov/ncs/. Accessed September 17, 2018.
- 2017 Employer Health Benefits Survey website.www.kff.org/health-costs/report/2017-employer-health-benefits-survey/Date: Published September 19, 2017Date accessed: September 17, 2018
- Female self‐employment and demand for flexible, nonstandard work schedules.Econ Inq. 2001; 39: 214-237
- Contingent workers and contingent health: risks of a modern economy.JAMA. 2008; 299: 448-450
- Temporary employment and health: a review.Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34: 610-622
- Employers’ benefits from workers’ health insurance.Milbank Q. 2003; 81: 5-43
- Identifying vulnerableAsian Americans under health care reform: working insmall businesses and health care coverage.J Health Care PoorUnderserved. 2014; 25: 1898-1921
- Why are workers uninsured? Employer-sponsored health insurance in 1997.Health Aff (Millwood). 1999; 18: 213-218