Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- A flood of opioids, a rising tide of deaths.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1981-1985
- Understanding risk factors for opioid overdose in clinical populations to inform treatment and policy.J Addict Med. 2016; 10: 369-381
- The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 276-286
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain—United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
- Vital signs: changes in opioid prescribing in the United States, 2006–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 697-704
- Drug Overdose Deaths in the United States, 1999–2016. National Center for Health Statistics. 2017/CDC. Wide-Ranging Online Data for Epidemiologic Research (WONDER).CDC, National Center for Health Statistics, Atlanta, GA2016http://wonder.cdc.govDate accessed: February 5, 2019
- Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2010–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1445-1452
- Addressing the opioid epidemic in the United States: lessons from the Department of Veterans Affairs.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 611-612
- Impact of the Opioid Safety Initiative on opioid-related prescribing in Veterans.Pain. 2017; 158: 833-839
- Decline in prescription opioids attributable to decreases in long-term use: a retrospective study in the Veterans Health Administration 2010–2016.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 818-824
- Suicide mortality among patients receiving care in the Veterans Health Administration health system.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 169: 1033-1038
Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention. VA National Suicide Data Report 2005–2015. www.mentalhealth.va.gov/docs/data-sheets/2015/OMHSP_National_Suicide_Data_Report_2005-2015_06-14-18_508.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed August 7, 2018.
- Opioid overdose education and naloxone distribution: development of the Veterans Health Administration's national program.J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2017; 57S168-S179.e4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2017.01.022
- Medications for opioid use disorder in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system: historical perspective, lessons learned and next steps.Subst Abus. 2018; 39: 139-144
- Standard death certificates versus enhanced surveillance to identify heroin overdose-related deaths.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 777-781
- Trends in deaths involving heroin and synthetic opioids excluding methadone, and law enforcement drug product reports, by Census region—United States, 2006–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 897-903
- Accidental poisoning mortality among patients in the Department of Veterans Affairs health system.Med Care. 2011; 49: 393-396
Moyo P, Zhao X, Thorpe CT, et al. Patterns of opioid prescriptions received prior to unintentional prescription opioid overdose death among Veterans. Res Social Adm Pharm. In press. Online October 17, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2018.10.023.
- Impact of chronic opioid therapy risk reduction initiatives on opioid overdose.J Pain. 2019; 20: 108-117
- Predictors of transition to heroin use among initially non-opioid dependent illicit pharmaceutical opioid users: a natural history study.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 160: 127-134
- Non-medical use of prescription opioids is associated with heroin initiation among U.S. Veterans: a prospective cohort study.Addiction. 2016; 111: 2021-2031
- Relationship between nonmedical prescription-opioid use and heroin use.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 154-163
- Medication for opioid use disorder after nonfatal opioid overdose and association with mortality: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 137-145