Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Diabetes: a 21st century challenge.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 56-64
WHO. Global Report on Diabetes. www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/. Published 2016. Accessed January 18, 2018.
- Physical activity/exercise and diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 2065-2079
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National Diabetes Statistics Report. www.cdc.gov/diabetes/data/statistics/statistics-report.html. Published July 17, 2017. Accessed January 18, 2018.
- Sedentary time in adults and the association with diabetes, cardiovascular disease and death: systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 2895-2905
- Barriers to regular exercise among adults at high risk or diagnosed with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review.Health Promot Int. 2009; 24: 416-427
- Gamification and Health.in: Walz SP Deterding S The Gameful World: Approaches, Issues, Applications. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA2015: 597-623
- Autonomous exercise game use improves metabolic control and quality of life in type 2 diabetes patients—a randomized controlled trial.BMC Endocr Disord. 2013; 13: 57
- Effects of exergaming on physical activity in overweight individuals.Sports Med. 2016; 46: 845-860
- Mobile exergaming for health-effects of a serious game application for smartphones on physical activity and exercise adherence in type 2 diabetes mellitus-study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2017; 18: 103
WMA Declaration of Helsinki—Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/. Published October 19, 2013. Accessed March 16, 2016.
- ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription.9th ed. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Health, Philadelphia, PA2014
- Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Population-based reference values for the 1-min sit-to-stand test.Int J Public Health. 2013; 58: 949-953
- ATS statement: guidelines for the six-minute walk test.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 111-117
- A refined taxonomy of behaviour change techniques to help people change their physical activity and healthy eating behaviours: the CALO-RE taxonomy.Psychol Health. 2011; 26: 1479-1498
- Are physical activity interventions for healthy inactive adults effective in promoting behavior change and maintenance, and which behavior change techniques are effective? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Transl Behav Med. 2019; 9: 147-157
- The features of interventions associated with long-term effectiveness of physical activity interventions in adults aged 55–70 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Health Psychol Rev. 2015; 9: 417-433
- Exertion Games. Found Trends® Human–Computer Interact.Now Foundations and Trends, Boston, MA2016
HHS. 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Be Active, Happy, and Healthy.Washington, DC: HHS. www.health.gov/paguidelines/. Accessed February 28, 2019.
- Freiburg Questionnaire of physical activity—development, evaluation and application [in German].Soz- Präventivmedizin. 1999; 44: 55-64
- Methodological approach to the first and second lactate threshold in incremental cardiopulmonary exercise testing.Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2008; 15: 726-734
- Age-predicted maximal heart rate revisited.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 37: 153-156
- Criterion-validity of commercially available physical activity tracker to estimate step count, covered distance and energy expenditure during sports conditions.Front Physiol. 2017; 8: 725
- Validity of activity trackers, smartphones, and phone applications to measure steps in various walking conditions.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2018; 28: 1818-1827
- Use of accelerometers in a large field-based study of children: protocols, design issues, and effects on precision.J Phys Act Health. 2008; 5: S98-S111
- Statistics notes: analysing controlled trials with baseline and follow up measurements.BMJ. 2001; 323: 1123
- The effects of a pedometer-based behavioral modification program with telephone support on physical activity and sedentary behavior in type 2 diabetes patients.Patient Educ Couns. 2011; 84: 275-279
- Association between change in daily ambulatory activity and cardiovascular events in people with impaired glucose tolerance (NAVIGATOR trial): a cohort analysis.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1059-1066
- Oxygen uptake at aerobic threshold is inversely associated with fatal cardiovascular and all-cause mortality events.Ann Med. 2017; 49: 698-709
- Long-term effect of intensive lifestyle intervention on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with diabetes in real-world clinical practice: a 5-year longitudinal study.BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2017; 5: e000259
- Changes in body composition over eight years in a randomized trial of a lifestyle intervention: the Look AHEAD Study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 565-572
- Prevalence and determinant factors of sarcopenia in patients with type 2 diabetes: the Korean Sarcopenic Obesity Study (KSOS).Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1497-1499
- Obesity and diabetes as accelerators of functional decline: can lifestyle interventions maintain functional status in high risk older adults.Exp Gerontol. 2013; 48: 888-897
- Impact of walking on glycemic control and other cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e109767
- Step counter use in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.BMC Med. 2014; 12: 36
- Physician step prescription and monitoring to improve ARTERial health (SMARTER): a randomized controlled trial in patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017; 19: 695-704
- A team-based online game improves blood glucose control in Veterans with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 1218-1225
- Cardiorespiratory exertion while playing video game exercises in elderly individuals with type 2 diabetes.Clin J Sport Med. 2016; 26: 326-331
- Gotta catch ’em all! Pokémon GO and physical activity among young adults: difference in differences study.BMJ. 2016; 355: i6270