Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
WHO. Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Physical inactivity: A global public health problem. www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_inactivity/en/. Accessed April 1, 2016.
- Recent evidence on worldwide trends on sleep duration.Curr Sleep Med Rep. 2015; 1: 195‒204
- Does nighttime exercise really disturb sleep? Results from the 2013 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America Poll.Sleep Med. 2014; 15: 755‒761
- Greater bed- and wake-time variability is associated with less healthy lifestyle behaviors: a cross-sectional study.Z Gesundh Wiss. 2016; 24: 31‒40
- Sleep health of Australian adults in 2016: results of the 2016 Sleep Health Foundation national survey.Sleep Health. 2017; 3: 35‒42
The Department of Health. Australia's Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines for Adults (18–64 years). www.webcitation.org/6pseaziKS. Published 2014. Accessed February 15, 2017.
- Sleep health: can we define it? Does it matter?.Sleep. 2014; 37: 9‒17
- Physical activity and cardiovascular health: lessons learned from epidemiological studies across age, gender, and race/ethnicity.Circulation. 2010; 122: 743‒752
- Physical activity and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and dose–response meta-analysis.Eur J Epidemiol. 2015; 30: 529‒542
- Sleep duration and risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 529‒537
- Sleep duration and sleep quality in relation to 12-year cardiovascular disease incidence: the MORGEN study.Sleep. 2011; 34: 1487‒1492
Deloitte Access Economics. Asleep on the Job: Costs of Inadequate Sleep in Australia. Sleep Health Foundation. www.sleephealthfoundation.org.au/news/special-reports/asleep-on-the-job-costs-of-inadequate-sleep-in-australia.html. Accessed January 4, 2018.
- The economic burden of physical inactivity: a global analysis of major non-communicable diseases.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1311‒1324
- Health and economic costs of physical inactivity.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014; 15: 7499‒7503
- A cross-sectional cluster analysis of the combined association of physical activity and sleep with sociodemographic and health characteristics in mid-aged and older adults.Maturitas. 2017; 102: 56‒61
- mHealth: a mechanism to deliver more accessible, more effective mental health care.Clin Psychol Psychother. 2014; 21: 427‒436
- The effectiveness of e−& mHealth interventions to promote physical activity and healthy diets in developing countries: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 109
- Internet-based cognitive-behavioural therapy for insomnia (ICBT-i): a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e010707
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of cognitive and behavioral interventions to improve sleep health in adults without sleep disorders.Sleep Med Rev. 2018; 40: 160‒169
- Examining the active ingredients of physical activity interventions underpinned by theory versus no stated theory: a meta-analysis.Health Psychol Rev. 2018; 13: 1‒17
- Do single and multiple behavior change interventions contain different behavior change techniques? A comparison of interventions targeting physical activity in obese populations.Health Psychol. 2015; 34: 960‒965
- The bidirectional relationship between exercise and sleep: implications for exercise adherence and sleep improvement.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2014; 8: 375‒379
- Interrelationship between sleep and exercise: a systematic review.Adv Prev Med. 2017; 20171364387
- BeWell24: development and process evaluation of a smartphone “app” to improve sleep, sedentary, and active behaviors in U.S. Veterans with increased metabolic risk.Transl Behav Med. 2016; 6: 438‒448
- The role of sleep and physical activity on the risk for cardiovascular disease.Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep. 2014; 8: 1‒10
- Comparative efficacy of simultaneous versus sequential multiple health behavior change interventions among adults: a systematic review of randomised trials.Prev Med. 2016; 89: 211‒223
- Multiple risk behavior interventions: meta-analyses of RCTs.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: e19‒e30
- Randomised controlled trial using a theory-based m-health intervention to improve physical activity and sleep health in adults: the Synergy Study protocol.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e018997
- Randomization and allocation concealment: a practical guide for researchers.J Crit Care. 2005; 20: 187‒191
- Balanced: a randomised trial examining the efficacy of two self-monitoring methods for an app-based multi-behaviour intervention to improve physical activity, sitting and sleep in adults.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 670
- The Active Australia Survey: A Guide and Manual for Implementation, Analysis and Reporting.AIHW, Canberra2003
- Measuring physical activity change in broad-reach intervention trials.J Phys Act Health. 2010; 7: 194‒202
- Reliability and validity of a modified self-administered version of the Active Australia physical 2 activity survey in a sample of mid-age women.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008; 32: 535‒541
- The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research.Psychiatry Res. 1989; 28: 193‒213
- Test–retest reliability and validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in primary insomnia.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 53: 737‒740
- Profiles of resistance training behavior and sedentary time among older adults: associations with health-related quality of life and psychosocial health.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 773‒776
- A tool for measuring workers’ sitting time by domain: the Workforce Sitting Questionnaire.Br J Sports Med. 2011; 45: 1216‒1222
- Assessment of sleep hygiene using the Sleep Hygiene Index.J Behav Med. 2006; 29: 223‒227
- Measuring sleep habits without using a diary: the sleep timing questionnaire.Sleep. 2003; 26: 208‒212
- The Insomnia Severity Index: psychometric indicators to detect insomnia cases and evaluate treatment response.Sleep. 2011; 34: 601‒608
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.Sleep. 1991; 14: 540‒545
- A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity.Med Care. 1996; 34: 220‒233
- The RAND-36 measure of health-related quality of life.Ann Med. 2001; 33: 350‒357
- The short-form version of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS-21): construct validity and normative data in a large non-clinical sample.Br J Clin Psychol. 2005; 44: 227‒239
- Using Web 2.0 applications to promote health-related physical activity: findings from the WALK 2.0 randomised controlled trial.Br J Sports Med. 2017; 51: 1433‒1440
SUS BJ. A quick and dirty usability scale. In:. Jordan PW, Thomas B, Weerdmeester BA, McClelland AL, eds. Usability Evaluation in Industry. Vol. 189. London: Taylor & Francis; 1996:194.
Cohen J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Mahwah, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates; 1988.
- Meta-analysis of internet-delivered interventions to increase physical activity levels.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 52
- A heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance-matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroskedasticity.Econometrica. 1980; 48: 817‒838
- Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence.CMAJ. 2006; 174: 801‒809
- Control group improvements in physical activity intervention trials and possible explanatory factors: a systematic review.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: 884‒895
- Muscle-strengthening activities and participation among adults in the United States.Res Q Exerc Sport. 2013; 84: 30‒38
- The descriptive epidemiology of total physical activity, muscle-strengthening exercises and sedentary behaviour among Australian adults - results from the National Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 73
- Combined aerobic and resistance training decreases inflammation markers in healthy men.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2018; 28: 40‒47
- Participation in muscle-strengthening activities as an alternative method for the prevention of multimorbidity.Prev Med. 2015; 81: 54‒57
- Efficacy of internet-delivered cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Sleep Med Rev. 2016; 30: 1‒10
- Insomnia: prevalence, consequences and effective treatment.Med J Aust. 2013; 199: S36‒S40
- “Stepped care”: a health technology solution for delivering cognitive behavioral therapy as a first line insomnia treatment.Sleep. 2009; 32: 1549‒1558
- Efficacy of brief behavioral treatment for chronic insomnia in older adults.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 887‒895
2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Scientific Report. Washington, DC: HHS; 2018.
- The effect of resistance exercise on sleep: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Sleep Med Rev. 2018; 39: 52‒68
- Engagement in muscular strengthening activities is associated with better sleep.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2: 927‒929
- Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: the remarkable universality of half a standard deviation.Med Care. 2003; 41: 582‒592
- Relationships between perceived stress and health behaviors in a sample of working adults.Health Psychol. 2003; 22: 638‒642
- Engagement and nonusage attrition with a free physical activity promotion program: the case of 10,000 Steps Australia.J Med Internet Res. 2015; 17: e176
Vandelanotte C, Duncan MJ, Kolt GS, et al. More real-world trials are needed to establish if web-based physical activity interventions are effective. Br J Sports Med. In press. Online July 3, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2018-099437.
- Activity trackers implement different behavior change techniques for activity, sleep, and sedentary behaviors.Interact J Med Res. 2017; 6: e13
- Recruitment, screening, and baseline participant characteristics in the WALK 2.0 study: a randomized controlled trial using web 2.0 applications to promote physical activity.Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2016; 2: 25‒33
- A randomized trial of sequential and simultaneous multiple behavior change interventions for physical activity and fat intake.Prev Med. 2008; 46: 232‒237
- Lessons learned in participant recruitment and retention: the EXCITE trial.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 1520‒1533
- Physical activity and sleep quality in breast cancer survivors: a randomized trial.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017; 49: 2009-2015
Australian Communications and Media Authority. Access to Internet broadband and mobile phones family households. Media and Communications in Australian Families series. 2008;3. www.acma.gov.au/-/media/Research-and-Analysis/Report/pdf/no3_access_to_internet_broadband_and_mobile_phones_family_households-pdf.pdf?la=en. Accessed May 9, 2019.