Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Tobacco control and the reduction in smoking-related premature deaths in the United States, 1964‒2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 164-171
- Gauging the effect of U.S. tobacco control policies from 1965 through 2014 using SimSmoke.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 535-542
- The Health Consequences of Smoking—50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General.HHS, Atlanta, GA2014
- Effect of the Arizona tobacco control program on cigarette consumption and healthcare expenditures.Soc Sci Med. 2011; 72: 166-172
- The effect of the California tobacco control program on smoking prevalence, cigarette consumption, and healthcare costs: 1989‒2008.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e47145
- Tobacco policies in Louisiana: recommendations for future tobacco control investment from SimSmoke, a policy simulation model.Prev Sci. 2016; 17: 199-207
- The role of public policies in reducing smoking: the Minnesota SimSmoke tobacco policy model.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: S179-S186
- The role of public policies in reducing smoking prevalence: results from the Michigan SimSmoke tobacco policy simulation model.Cancer Causes Control. 2016; 27: 615-625
- The role of public policies in reducing smoking prevalence in California: results from the California tobacco policy simulation model.Health Policy. 2007; 82: 167-185
- The role of public policies in reducing smoking prevalence and deaths caused by smoking in Arizona: results from the Arizona tobacco policy simulation model.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2007; 13: 59-67
- The Kentucky SimSmoke tobacco policy simulation model: reaching Healthy People 2010 goals through policy change.South Med J. 2008; 101: 503-507
- Concurrent use of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco in Minnesota.J Environ Public Health. 2012; 2012493109
- The land of 10,000 tobacco products: how Minnesota led the way in regulating tobacco products.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e10-e12
- Tobacco product prices before and after a statewide tobacco tax increase.Tob Control. 2016; 25: 166-173
- The US SimSmoke tobacco control policy model of smokeless tobacco and cigarette use.BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 696
U.S. Census Bureau. Population estimates 1993-1999. www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/tables/1990-2000/state/asrh/. Accessed June 14, 2019.
U.S. Census Bureau. Population estimates 2010-2015. http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk. Accessed June 14, 2019.
U.S. Census Bureau. Population estimates 2000-2009. www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/datasets/2000-2010/intercensal/state/st-est00int-agesex.csv. Accessed June 14, 2019.
Minnesota State Demographic Center. Population projections for 2016-2067. https://mn.gov/admin/demography/data-by-topic/population-data/our-projections/. Accessed April 5, 2018.
CDC. Fertility rates, mortality and birth rates by age and gender. http://wonder.cdc.gov/cmf-icd10.html. Accessed August 15, 2015.
- Current Population Survey, September 1993: Tobacco Use Supplement File, Technical Documentation CPS-01.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2001
- Harm reduction approaches to reducing tobacco-related mortality.Annu Rev Public Health. 2004; 25: 377-395
- Smokeless tobacco use: harm reduction or induction approach.Prev Med. 2004; 38: 309-317
- Smokeless tobacco: the epidemiology and politics of harm.Biomarkers. 2009; 14: 79-84
- Is use of smokeless tobacco a risk factor for cigarette smoking? The U.S. experience.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003; 5: 561-569
- Epidemiologic perspectives on smokeless tobacco marketing and population harm.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: S387-S397
- Cessation and cessation measures among daily adult smokers: national- and state-specific data.Monograph 12: Population Based Smoking Cessation Proceedings of a Conference on What Works to Influence Cessation in the General Population. NIH, National Cancer Institute, Washington, DC2000
- Quitting cigarettes completely or switching to smokeless tobacco: do US data replicate the Swedish results?.Tob Control. 2009; 18: 82-87
- A systematic review of transitions between cigarette and smokeless tobacco product use in the United States.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 258
- Examining the transitions between cigarette and smokeless tobacco product use in the United States using the 2002-2003 and 2010-2011 longitudinal cohorts.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 1412-1416
- Past year quit attempts and use of cessation resources among cigarette-only smokers and cigarette smokers who use other tobacco products.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 41-47
- Cigarette smoking cessation attempts among current U.S. smokers who also use smokeless tobacco.Addict Behav. 2015; 51: 113-119
- Predictors of quitting smoking: the NHANES I followup experience.J Clin Epidemiol. 1990; 43: 1399-1405
- Duration of smoking abstinence and success in quitting.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997; 89: 572-576
- Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress: a Report of the Surgeon General.CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA1989
- The Health Benefits of Smoking Cessation: a Report of the Surgeon General.HHS, Public Health Service, CDC, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA1990
- Age and the exposure-response relationships between cigarette smoking and premature death in Cancer Prevention Study II.Monograph 8: Changes in Cigarette Related Disease Risks and Their Implication for Prevention and Control. National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD1997: 383-475
- Burns D Garfinkel L Samet J Changes in Cigarette-Related Disease Risks and Their Implication for Prevention and Control. NIH, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD1997
- Two large prospective studies of mortality among men who use snuff or chewing tobacco (United States).Cancer Causes Control. 2005; 16: 347-358
- Increasing taxes as a strategy to reduce cigarette use and deaths: results of a simulation model.Prev Med. 2000; 31: 279-286
- The effect of tobacco control policies on US Smokeless Tobacco use: a structured review.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 20: 3-11
- A comprehensive examination of own- and cross-price elasticities of tobacco and nicotine replacement products in the U.S.Prev Med. 2018; 117: 107-114
- U.S. demand for tobacco products in a system framework.Health Econ. 2017; 26: 1067-1086
- The impact of implementing tobacco control policies: the 2017 Tobacco Control Policy Scorecard.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2018; 24: 448-457
- The Tax Burden on Tobacco Volume 51, 1970-2016.Orzechowski and Walker, Arlington, VA2017
Federal Trade Commission. Smokeless tobacco report for 2017. www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/federal-trade-commission-cigarette-report-2017-federal-trade-commission-smokeless-tobacco-report/ftc_smokeless_tobacco_report_2017.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2019.
- Prices and Taxes of Smokeless Tobacco.Georgetown University, Washington, DC2017 ([working paper])
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer price index. www.bls.gov. Accessed January 5, 2019.
- Effect of clean indoor air laws on smokers: the clean air module of the SimSmoke computer simulation model.Tob Control. 2001; 10: 345-351
American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation. Chronological table of U.S. population protected by 100% smokefree state or local laws. https://no-smoke.org/wp-content/uploads/pdf/EffectivePopulationList.pdf. Accessed March 2, 2019.
- A computer simulation model of mass media interventions directed at tobacco use.Prev Med. 2001; 32: 284-294
- State tobacco control program spending‒United States, 2011.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 673-678
Tobacco free-kids. History of Spending for State Tobacco Prevention Programs. www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0209.pdf. Accessed July 4, 2019.
- Modeling the impact of smoking cessation treatment policies on quit rates.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: S364-S372
North American Quitline Consortium. Quitline stats. www.naquitline.org/?page=800QUITNOWstats. Accessed August 30, 2015.
- Tobacco Use in Minnesota: 2014 Update.ClearWay MinnesotaSM, Minnesota Department of Health, Minneapolis, MNJanuary 2015
Clearway Minnesota. Minnesota adult tobacco survey (MATS) 2014. http://clearwaymn.org/minnesota-adult-tobacco-survey-mats-2014/. Accessed May 15, 2018.
- Effect of policies directed at youth access to smoking: results from the SimSmoke computer simulation model.Tob Control. 2001; 10: 108-116
- Public policy and youth smokeless tobacco use.South Econ J. 1997; 64: 503-516
- The demand for smokeless tobacco among male high school students in the United States: the impact of taxes, prices and policies.Appl Econ. 2007; 39: 31-41
- Availability of snus and its sale to minors in a large Minnesota city.Tob Control. 2014; 23: 449-451
- Minnesota Session Laws - 2013, Regular Session, Chapter 143, Article 5 (HF 677).Published 2013www.revisor.mn.gov/data/revisor/law/2013/0/2013-143.pdfDate accessed: August 14, 2017
- Tobacco Use in Minnesota: 2010 Update.ClearWay Minnesota, Minnesota Department of Health, Minneapolis, MN2011
- Smokeless tobacco use 1992‒2002: trends and measurement in the Current Population Survey-Tobacco Use Supplements.Tob Control. 2006; 15: 166-171
- Smokers who are also using smokeless tobacco products in the US: a national assessment of characteristics, behaviours and beliefs of ‘dual users’.Tob Control. 2011; 20: 239-242
National Cancer Institute, CDC. 2014 Smokeless Tobacco and Public Health: A Global Perspective.https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/global-perspective/SmokelessTobaccoAndPublicHealth.pdf. Accessed April 5, 2018.
- Tobacco industry consumer research on smokeless tobacco users and product development.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 78-87
- Developing smokeless tobacco products for smokers: an examination of tobacco industry documents.Tob Control. 2009; 18: 54-59
- Noncombustible tobacco product advertising: how companies are selling the new face of tobacco.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: 606-614
- Quasi-experimental evidence on tobacco tax regressivity.Soc Sci Med. 2018; 196: 19-28
- Cigarette price minimization strategies in the United States: price reductions and responsiveness to excise taxes.Nicotine Tob Res. 2013; 15: 1858-1866
- Per-pack price reductions available from different cigarette purchasing strategies: United States, 2009‒2010.Prev Med. 2014; 63: 13-19
- Reaching Healthy People 2010 by 2013: a SimSmoke simulation.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: S373-S381
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. Broken promises to our children. www.tobaccofreekids.org/problem/toll-us/minnesota. Accessed June 6, 2019.
- Modeling the future effects of a menthol ban on smoking prevalence and smoking-attributable deaths in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 1236-1240
- Multiple tobacco product use among adults in the United States: cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes, hookah, smokeless tobacco, and snus.Prev Med. 2014; 62: 14-19
- A framework for evaluating the public health impact of e-cigarettes and other vaporized nicotine products.Addiction. 2017; 112: 8-17