Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245
- Trends in smoking among adults with mental illness and association between mental health treatment and smoking cessation.JAMA. 2014; 311: 172-182
- Smoking cessation and reduction in people with chronic mental illness.BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 2015; 351: h4065
- Effects of varenicline on smoking cessation in adults with stably treated current or past major depression: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 390-400
- Varenicline for smoking cessation in bipolar disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.J Clin Psychiatry. 2014; 75: 765-772
- A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of bupropion sustained-release for smoking cessation in schizophrenia.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2005; 25: 218-225
- Smoking cessation interventions for patients with depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 351-360
- The Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Smoking Cessation clinical practice guideline.JAMA. 1996; 275: 1270-1280
- American Psychiatric Association.Am J Psychiatry. 1996; 153: 1-31
- U.S. Public Health Service clinical practice guideline: treating tobacco use and dependence.Respir Care. 2000; 45: 1200-1262
Fiore MC, Jaén CR, Baker TB, et al. Treating tobacco use and dependence. Update. Clinical Practice Guideline. 2008, HHS, Public Health Service; Rockville, MD:www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/professionals/clinicians-providers/guidelines-recommendations/tobacco/clinicians/update/treating_tobacco_use08.pdf. Accessed June 25, 2019.
- 42 U.S.C. § 2713.Coverage of Preventive Services, 2010
- U.S. physicians’ treatment of smoking in outpatients with psychiatric diagnoses.Nicotine Tob Res. 2001; 3: 85-91
- Tobacco use screening and treatment by outpatient psychiatrists before and after release of the American Psychiatric Association treatment guidelines for nicotine dependence.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 90-95
- Tobacco screening and counseling in the U.S.: smokers with mental health and substance use problems.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 524-532
CDC, Ambulatory health care data, www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd.htm, Updated 2019. Accessed August 20, 2017.
- Barriers to utilizing Medicaid smoking cessation benefits.Kans J Med. 2017; 10: 1-11
- Utilization of smoking cessation medication benefits among Medicaid fee-for-service enrollees 1999–2008.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0170381
- National trends in smoking cessation medication prescriptions for smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the United States, 2007–2012.J Prev Med Public Health. 2018; 51: 257-262
- Provision of lifestyle counseling and the prescribing of pharmacotherapy for hyperlipidemia among U.S. ambulatory patients: a national assessment of office-based physician visits.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2018; 18: 65-71
- Deaths: final data for 2014.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2016; 65: 1-122
CDC. Tobacco-related disparities, www.cdc.gov/tobacco/disparities/index.htm, Updated March 7, 2018. Accessed June 21, 2019.
- Tobacco use screening and counseling during hospital outpatient visits among U.S. adults, 2005–2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2015; 12 (140529)
- Racial and ethnic disparities in smoking-cessation interventions: analysis of the 2005 National Health Interview Survey.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 404-412
- Primary care physician smoking screening and counseling for patients with chronic disease.Prev Med. 2015; 71: 77-82
- Facilitating knowledge translation in the “real world” of community psychiatry.J Am Psychiatr Nurs Assoc. 2010; 16: 339-344
- A qualitative evaluation of mental health clinic staff perceptions of barriers and facilitators to treating tobacco use.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 1223-1230
- Perceived barriers to smoking cessation in selected vulnerable groups: a systematic review of the qualitative and quantitative literature.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e006414
- Financial distress and smoking-induced deprivation in smokers with depression.Am J Health Behav. 2019; 43: 219-227
- Financial implications of cigarette smoking among individuals with schizophrenia.Tob Control. 2004; 13 (206–206)
- Proactive tobacco treatment for smokers using Veterans Administration mental health clinics.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 620-629
- Proactive tobacco treatment and population-level cessation: a pragmatic randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 671-677
- A comparison of the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) measurement approach with direct observation of outpatient visits.Med Care. 2004; 42: 276-280