Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
The US Burden of Disease Collaborators. The state of U.S. health, 1990–2016: burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors among U.S. states. JAMA. 2018;319(14):1444–1472. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.0158.
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245
- Health risks of being overweight.Published February 2015www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/health-risks-overweightDate accessed: July 29, 2019
- A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 380: 2224-2260
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk.Circulation. 2010; 121: 1356-1364
- Resolved: there is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 606-619
- Ounces of prevention: the public policy case for taxes on sugared beverages.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1805-1808
- To what extent have sweetened beverages contributed to the obesity epidemic?.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 499-509
- Trends in beverage consumption among children and adults, 2003–2014.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 432-441
- Forecasting the future of cardiovascular disease in the United States: a policy statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 933-944
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015–2020.8th ed. Published December 2015http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/Date accessed: November 10, 2016
- Dietary intake among U.S. adults, 1999–2012.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2542-2553
- Growing momentum for sugar-sweetened beverage campaigns and policies: costs and considerations.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 835-838
- Cigarette package health warnings: international status report.Published October 2016https://tobaccolabels.s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/2016/11/Cigarette-Package-Health-Warnings-International-Status-Report-English-CCS-Oct-2016.pdfDate accessed: July 3, 2019
- Effect of pictorial cigarette pack warnings on changes in smoking behavior: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 905-912
Sugar-Sweetened Beverages: Safety Warnings, SB 347, California Legislature, 2019–2020 Regular Sess. (2019).
Concerning Mitigation of the Adverse Impacts of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, HB 2798, Washington State Legislature, 2016 1st Special Sess. (2016).
Relating to Health, HB 1209, State of Hawaii House of Representatives, 29th Legislature (2017).
An Act Related to Health and Safety Warnings on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, H433, Vermont General Assembly, 2017–2018 Sess. (2017).
Requires Sugar-Sweetened Beverages to Be Labeled with a Safety Warning, S473, New York State Senate, 2019–2020 Legislative Sess. (2019).
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage health warning labels on parents’ choices.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20153185
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage warnings: a randomized trial of adolescents’ choices and beliefs.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 664-672
- Effects of plain packaging, warning labels, and taxes on young people's predicted sugar-sweetened beverage preferences: an experimental study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 95
- The effect of graphic warnings on sugary-drink purchasing.Psychol Sci. 2018; 29: 1321-1333
Grummon AH, Taillie LS, Golden SD et al. Sugar-sweetened beverage health warnings and purchases: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Prev Med. In press.
- Simulating the impact of sugar-sweetened beverage warning labels in three cities.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 197-204
- Dynamic microsimulation models for health outcomes: a review.Med Decis Mak. 2011; 31: 10-18
- Averting obesity and Type 2 diabetes in India through sugar-sweetened beverage taxation: an economic-epidemiologic modeling study.PLOS Med. 2014; 11e1001582
- A penny-per-ounce tax on sugar-sweetened beverages would cut health and cost burdens of diabetes.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2012; 31: 199-207
- Measuring weight outcomes for obesity intervention strategies: the case of a sugar-sweetened beverage tax.Econ Hum Biol. 2011; 9: 329-341
- Ending SNAP subsidies for sugar-sweetened beverages could reduce obesity and Type 2 diabetes.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1032-1039
- Nutritional policy changes in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: a microsimulation and cost-effectiveness analysis.Med Decis Mak. 2013; 33: 937-948
- Advanced policy options to regulate sugar-sweetened beverages to support public health.J Public Health Policy. 2012; 33: 75-88
- Outstanding questions in First Amendment Law related to food labeling disclosure requirements for health.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1986-1992
- Bottom-up federalism: the diffusion of antismoking policies from U.S. cities to states.Am J Pol Sci. 2006; 50: 825-843
- The calorie-labeling saga: federal preemption and delayed implementation of public health law.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 103-105
- Choosing an epidemiological model structure for the economic evaluation of non-communicable disease public health interventions.Popul Health Metr. 2016; 14: 17
- Quantification of the effect of energy imbalance on bodyweight.Lancet. 2011; 378: 826-837
Polglase B. NIH research model predicts weight with varying diet, exercise changes: findings challenge one-size-fits all weight assumptions. NIH; 2011. www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-research-model-predicts-weight-varying-diet-exercise-changes. Published August 25. Accessed July 17, 2019.
- Consumption patterns of sugar-sweetened beverages in the United States.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 43-53
- Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among U.S. adults: 1988–1994 to 1999–2004.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 89: 372-381
- Trends in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among youth and adults in the United States: 1999–2010.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 180-188
- Dietary patterns and trends in the United States: the UNC-CH approach.Appetite. 1999; 32: 8-14
- Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among U.S. children and adolescents, 1988–2004.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1604-e1614
Alameda county registrar of voters. Measure D- City of Berkeley. www.acgov.org/rov/current_election/226/index.htm. Accessed June 16, 2015. Published November 12, 2014.
An Ordinance Imposing a Tax on Engaging in the Business of Distributing Sweetened Beverages, Seattle Municipal Code Ordinance No. 125324, § 2, Chapter 5 (2017).
- Effect of drinking soda sweetened with aspartame or high-fructose crn syrup on food intake and body weight.Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 51: 963-969
- Implications of a sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) tax when substitutions to non-beverage items are considered.J Health Econ. 2013; 32: 219-239
- Long-term dietary compensation for added sugar: effects of supplementary sucrose drinks over a 4-week period.Br J Nutr. 2007; 97: 193-203
- Influence of repeated consumption of beverages containing sucrose or intense sweeteners on food intake.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003; 58: 154-161
- Liquid versus solid carbohydrate: effects on food intake and body weight.Int J Obes. 2000; 24: 794-800
- Cost effectiveness of a sugar-sweetened beverage excise tax in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 112-123
- Projected impact of Mexico's sugar-sweetened beverage tax policy on diabetes and cardiovascular disease: a modeling study.PLOS Med. 2016; 13e1002158
U.S. Census Bureau. PUMS Data. American Community Survey (ACS). www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/data/pums.html. Published August 23, 2018. Accessed October 2, 2018.
- Number of replications required in Monte Carlo simulation studies: a synthesis of four studies.J Mod Appl Stat Methods. 2011; 10: 4
- Number of replications required in control chart Monte Carlo simulation studies.Commun Stat Simul Comput. 2007; 36: 1075-1087
- Changes in effectiveness of cigarette health warnings over time in Canada and the United States, 2002–2011.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: 536-543
- Trajectories of responses to pictorial cigarette pack warnings.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 876-881
- Graphic Canadian cigarette warning labels and adverse outcomes: evidence from Canadian smokers.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1442-1445
- Over-time impacts of pictorial health warning labels and their differences across smoker subgroups: results from adult smokers in Canada and Australia.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 888-896
- Model transparency and validation: a report of the ISPOR-SMDM Modeling Good Research Practices Task Force–7.Med Decis Mak. 2012; 32: 733-743
- Prevalence of obesity among adults, by household income and education—United States, 2011–2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 1369-1373
- Pictorial cigarette pack warnings: a meta-analysis of experimental studies.Tob Control. 2015; 25: 341-354
- The impact of strengthening cigarette pack warnings: systematic review of longitudinal observational studies.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 164: 118-129
- Effects of strengthening cigarette pack warnings on attention and message processing: a systematic review.J Mass Commun Q. 2016; 94: 416-442
- Nutrition warnings as front-of-pack labels: influence of design features on healthfulness perception and attentional capture.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 3360-3371
- How should sugar-sweetened beverage health warnings be designed? A randomized experiment.Prev Med. 2019; 121: 158-166
- Social–cognitive beliefs, alcohol, and tobacco use: a prospective community study of change following a ban on smoking in public places.Health Psychol. 2009; 28: 753-761
- A longitudinal study of policy effect (smoke-free legislation) on smoking norms: ITC Scotland/United Kingdom.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11: 924-932
- An agent-based model of healthy eating with applications to hypertension.in: Giabbanelli PJ Mago VK Papageorgiou EI Advanced Data Analytics in Health. Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland2018: 43-58
Cawley J, Frisvold D, Hill A, Jones D. The impact of the Philadelphia beverage tax on prices and product availability. NBER Work Pap Ser. 2018;24990. www.nber.org/papers/w24990. Accessed 5 January 2019.
- First-year evaluation of Mexico's tax on nonessential energy-dense foods: an observational study.PLOS Med. 2016; 13e1002057
- Did the junk food tax make the Hungarians eat healthier?.Food Policy. 2015; 54: 107-115
- Update on NHANES dietary data: focus on collection, release, analytical considerations, and uses to inform public policy.Adv Nutr. 2016; 7: 121-134
- Assessing the potential effectiveness of food and beverage taxes and subsidies for improving public health: a systematic review of prices, demand and body weight outcomes.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 110-128