Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
March of Dimes. Born too soon. www.marchofdimes.org/mission/global-preterm.aspx. Updated 2017. Accessed September 20, 2017.
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Low birth weight.www.oecd.org/els/family/CO_1_3_Low_birth_weight.pdf. Updated October 31, 2018. Accessed April 18, 2019.
- Why is US maternal mortality rising?.JAMA. 2017; 318: 321
- The contribution of maternal birth cohort to term small for gestational age in the United States 1989–2010: an age, period, and cohort analysis.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2014; 28: 312-321
- Births: final data for 2017.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2018; 67 (PMID: 30707672): 1-50
- Where is the “W”oman in MCH?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: S259-S265
- Medicaid: a review of the literature.NBER Work Pap. 2014; 20169 (Ser.): 1-42
- Re-examining the effects of Medicaid expansion for pregnant women.NBER Work Pap. 2008; 14591 (Ser.): 1-41
- The impact of the Medicaid expansions for pregnant women: a synthesis of the evidence.Med Care Res Rev. 2001; 58: 3-30
- The clinical content of preconception care: an overview and preparation of this supplement.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: S266-S279
- A national action plan for promoting preconception health and health care in the United States (2012–2014).J Womens Health. 2013; 22: 797-802
- March of Dimes updates: is early prenatal care too late?.Contemp OBGYN. 2002; 12: 54-72
- The clinical content of preconception care: the use of medications and supplements among women of reproductive age.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: S367-S372
- The clinical content of preconception care: nutrition and dietary supplements.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: S345-S356
- Recommendations to improve preconception health and health care–United States. A report of the CDC/ATSDR Preconception Care Work Group and the Select Panel on Preconception Care.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006; 55 (RR06): 1-23
- The importance of preconception care in the continuum of women's health care. ACOG Committee Opinion number 313.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 665-666
- Exploring preconception care: insurance status, race/ethnicity, and health in the pre-pregnancy period.Matern Child Health J. 2018; 22: 1103-1110
Guttmacher Institute. Uninsured rate among women of reproductive age has fallen more than one-third under the Affordable Care Act.www.guttmacher.org/article/2016/11/uninsured-rate-among-women-reproductive-age-has-fallen-more-one-third-under. Published November 17, 2016. Accessed August 17, 2017.
U.S. Congress. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, 42 U.S.C. § 18001 (2010).
Kaiser Family Foundation. Medicaid's role for women.www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/medicaids-role-for-women/. Published March 28, 2019. Accessed April 18, 2019.
- Effects of ACA Medicaid expansions on health insurance coverage and labor supply.J Policy Anal Manag. 2017; 36: 608-642
- The effects of Medicaid expansion under the ACA: a systematic review.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 944-950
- Early coverage, access, utilization, and health effects associated with the Affordable Care Act Medicaid expansions: a quasi-experimental study.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 795-803
Gunja M, Collins S, Doty M, Beutel S. How the affordable care act has helped women gain insurance and improved their ability to get health care. The Commonwealth Fund.www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2017/aug/how-affordable-care-act-has-helped-women-gain-insurance-and?redirect_source=/publications/issue-briefs/2017/aug/aca-helped-women-gain-insurance-and-access. Published August 10, 2017. Accessed February 2019.
- Impacts of the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion on women of reproductive age: differences by parental status and state policies.Womens Health Issues. 2018; 28: 122-129
- Preconception coverage before and after the Affordable Care Act Medicaid expansions.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: 1394-1400
- Prepregnancy insurance and timely prenatal care for Medicaid births: before and after the Affordable Care Act in Ohio.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2019; 28: 654-664
CDC. The BRFSS data user guide. www.cdc.gov/brfss/data_documentation/pdf/UserguideJune2013.pdf. Published August 15, 2013. Accessed February 2019.
Kaiser Family Foundation. Trends in Medicaid eligibility limits. www.kff.org/data-collection/trends-in-medicaid-income-eligibility-limits/. Updated 2019. Accessed February 2019.
- The impact of the ACA Medicaid expansions on health insurance coverage through 2015 and coverage disparities by age, race/ethnicity, and gender.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 1248-1271
- Health insurance eligibility, utilization of medical care, and child health.Q J Econ. 1996; 111: 431-466
- Crowd-out 10 years later: have recent public insurance expansions crowded out private health insurance?.J Health Econ. 2008; 27: 201-217
- Core state preconception health indicators - Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System and Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2009.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014; 63 (ss03):1–62
- The impact of health insurance on preventive care and health behaviors: evidence from the first two years of the ACA Medicaid expansions.J Policy Anal Manag. 2017; 36: 390-417
- Women's affordability, access, and preventive care after the Affordable Care Act.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 56: 631-638
- Tobacco use in pregnancy: a window of opportunity for prevention.Lancet Glob Health. 2014; 2: e489-e490
- Periconception window: advising the pregnancy-planning couple.Fertil Steril. 2008; 89: e119-e121
- Pregnancy: a “teachable moment” for weight control and obesity prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 135.e1-135.e8
- Role of Medicaid family planning waivers and Title X in enhancing access to preconception care.Womens Health Issues. 2008; 18: S47-S51
- Association of state Medicaid expansion status with low birth weight and preterm birth.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1598-1609
- Unintended pregnancy and associated maternal preconception, prenatal and postpartum behaviors.Contraception. 2009; 79: 194-198
- Intention to become pregnant and low birth weight and preterm birth: a systematic review.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 205-216
- The effect of state Medicaid expansions on prescription drug use: evidence from the Affordable Care Act.NBER Work Pap Ser. 2017; 23044: 1-35
- The association of health insurance with use of prescription contraceptives.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2007; 39: 226-230