Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Prevalence of adverse childhood experiences from the 2011–2014 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System in 23 states.JAMA Pediatr. 2018; 172: 1038-1044
- Adverse childhood experiences and the risk of premature mortality.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 389-396
- Building a framework for global surveillance of the public health implications of adverse childhood experiences.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 93-98
- The effect of multiple adverse childhood experiences on health: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2017; 2: e356-e366
- Adverse childhood experiences: prevalence and related factors in adolescents of a Brazilian birth cohort.Child Abuse Negl. 2016; 51: 21-30
- Family-related adverse childhood experiences as risk factors for psychiatric disorders in Nigeria.Br J Psychiatry. 2010; 196: 186-191
- Adverse childhood experiences (ACE) and health-risk behaviors among adults in a developing country setting.Child Abuse Negl. 2010; 34: 842-855
- Childhood adversities of populations living in low-income countries: prevalence, characteristics, and mental health consequences.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2010; 23: 356-362
- Adversities in childhood and adult psychopathology in the South Africa Stress and Health Study: associations with first-onset DSM-IV disorders.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71: 1847-1854
Raleva M, Jordanova Peshevska D, Sethi D. Survey of adverse childhood experiences among young people in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Copenhagen, Denmark: WHO Regional Office for Europe. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/107315. Published 2013. Accessed November 7, 2019.
- Adverse childhood experiences and association with health, mental health, and risky behavior in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.Child Abuse Negl. 2016; 60: 10-17
- Violent experiences in childhood are associated with men's perpetration of intimate partner violence as a young adult: a multistage cluster survey in Malawi.Ann Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 723-728
- Global prevalence of past-year violence against children: a systematic review and minimum estimates.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20154079
- Adverse childhood experiences among patients with substance use disorders at a referral psychiatric hospital in Kenya.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18: 197
- Cumulative risk and AIDS-orphanhood: interactions of stigma, bullying and poverty on child mental health in South Africa.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 69: 1186-1193
- The frequency and predictors of poly-victimisation of South African children and the role of schools in its prevention.Psychol Health Med. 2017; 22: 81-93
- The relationship between parental presence and child sexual violence: evidence from thirteen countries in sub-Saharan Africa.Child Abuse Negl. 2016; 51: 172-180
- HIV/AIDS, declining family resources and the community safety net.AIDS Care. 2009; 21: 34-42
- The effect of lifetime victimization on the mental health of children and adolescents.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 62: 13-27
- The association between adverse childhood experiences and adolescent pregnancy, long-term psychosocial consequences, and fetal death.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 320-327
- Associations between childhood adversity and depression, substance abuse and HIV and HSV2 incident infections in rural South African youth.Child Abuse Negl. 2010; 34: 833-841
- Adverse childhood experiences and child health in early adolescence.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 622-629
- Systematic review of pediatric health outcomes associated with childhood adversity.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 83
- Child and adolescent suicide attempts, suicidal behavior, and adverse childhood experiences in South Africa: a prospective study.J Adolesc Health. 2015; 57: 52-59
- Adverse life events and delinquent behavior among Kenyan adolescents: a cross-sectional study on the protective role of parental monitoring, religiosity, and self-esteem.Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2014; 8: 24
- Self-reported drunkenness among adolescents in four sub-Saharan African countries: associations with adverse childhood experiences.Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2010; 4: 17
- Measuring adverse child experiences among young adolescents globally: relationships with depressive symptoms and violence perpetration.J Adolesc Health. 2019; 65: 86-93
- Cohort profile: the Malawi Longitudinal Study of Families and Health (MLSFH).Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 394-404
National Statistical Office (NSO) [Malawi] and ICF. 2015-16 Malawi demographic and health survey key findings. Zomba, Malawi, and Rockville, Maryland, USA: NSO and ICF. https://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/SR237/SR237.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed November 7, 2019.
Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare of the Republic of Malawi, United Nations Children's Fund, The Center for Social Research at the University of Malawi, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Violence against children and young women in Malawi: findings from a national survey, 2013. Lilongwe, Malawi: Government of Malawi. https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/2013_Malawi_Findings-from-a-Violence-Against-Children-Survey.pdf. Published December 2014. Accessed November 8, 2019.
UNICEF Malawi. Child poverty in Malawi, policy breif. Lilongwe, Malawi: National Statistical Office, Department for Economic Planning and Development in the Ministry of Finance, UNICEF. https://www.unicef.org/malawi/media/1221/file/Child%20Poverty%20in%20Malawi%20Brief%202018.pdf. Published December 2018. Accessed November 8, 2019.
Education Policy and Data Center. Malawi National Education Profile 2018. www.epdc.org/sites/default/files/documents/EPDC_NEP_2018_Malawi.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed September 6, 2019.
WHO. Adverse Childhood Experiences International Questionnaire (ACE-IQ): rationale for ACE-IQ. www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/activities/adverse_childhood_experiences/introductory_materials.pdf?ua=1. Published 2014. Accessed April 10, 2014.
WHO. Adverse childhood experiences international questionnaire (ACE-IQ). www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/activities/adverse_childhood_experiences/en/. Accessed April 2, 2014.
- The enduring effects of abuse and related adverse experiences in childhood. A convergence of evidence from neurobiology and epidemiology.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006; 256: 174-186
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults. The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
- Psychometric evaluation of the Adversity Childhood Experience International Questionnaire (ACE-IQ) in Malawian adolescents.Child Abuse Negl. 2019; 92: 139-145
- Subjective expectations in the context of HIV/AIDS in Malawi.Demogr Res. 2009; 20: 817-874
- Stunting risk of orphans by caregiver and living arrangement in low-income and middle-income countries.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2016; 70: 784-790
- Lifetime economic impact of the burden of childhood stunting attributable to maternal psychosocial risk factors in 137 low/middle-income countries.BMJ Glob Health. 2019; 4e001144
- Height deficit in early adulthood following substantiated childhood maltreatment: a birth cohort study.Child Abuse Negl. 2017; 64: 71-78
- Childhood maltreatment and obesity: systematic review and meta-analysis.Mol Psychiatry. 2014; 19: 544-554
- Linking psychosocial stressors and childhood obesity.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: e54-e63
- Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents.Bull World Health Organ. 2007; 85: 660-667
- Institute of Medicine report on fitness measures and health outcomes in youth.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 221-222
- Is grip strength a predictor for total muscle strength in healthy children, adolescents, and young adults?.Eur J Pediatr. 2010; 169: 281-287
- Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: twenty-five years of evaluation.Clin Psychol Rev. 1988; 8: 77-100
- PTSD-8: a short PTSD inventory.Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2010; 6: 101-108
Ballard T, Coates J, Swindale A, Deitchler M. Household hunger scale: indicator definition and measurement guide. Washington, DC: Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance II Project, FHI 360. https://www.fantaproject.org/sites/default/files/resources/HHS-Indicator-Guide-Aug2011.pdf. Published August 2011. Accessed November 8, 2019.
- The interrelatedness of multiple forms of childhood abuse, neglect, and household dysfunction.Child Abuse Negl. 2004; 28: 771-784
- Adverse childhood experiences and adult health.Acad Pediatr. 2009; 9: 131-132
- Depression and HIV risk behaviors among patients in a sexually transmitted disease clinic.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 912-914
- Depression and HIV risk behavior practices among “at risk” women.Women Health. 2008; 48: 167-188
- Are negative affective states associated with HIV sexual risk behaviors? A meta-analytic review.Health Psychol. 2001; 20: 291-299
- Prevalence of psychological trauma and association with current health and functioning in a sample of HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected Tanzanian Adults.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e36304
- Adverse childhood experiences and HIV sexual risk-taking behaviors among young adults in Malawi.J Interpers Violence. 2018; 33: 1710-1730
- A validation of the adverse childhood experiences scale in Nigeria.Res Humanit Soc Sci. 2015; 5 (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3b73/eb0df7d7b809d46602486a9cd098f42a5ffc.pdf. Accessed February 16, 2019.): 18-23
- Psychometric properties of the adverse childhood experiences abuse short form (ACE-ASF) among Romanian high school students.Child Abuse Negl. 2017; 72: 326-337
- The impact of cumulative childhood adversity on young adult mental health: measures, models, and interpretations.Soc Sci Med. 2008; 66: 1140-1151
- An analysis of retrospective and repeat prospective reports of adverse childhood experiences from the South African Birth to Twenty Plus cohort.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0181522
Fan AZ, Liu J, Kress H, et al. Applying structural equation modeling to measure violence exposure and its impact on mental health: Malawi Violence against Children and Young Women Survey, 2013. J Interpers Violence. In press. Online November 25, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260517741214.
- Associations between adolescent experiences of violence in Malawi and gender-based attitudes, internalizing, and externalizing behaviors.Child Abuse Negl. 2017; 67: 305-314
- Adverse childhood experiences and mental health in young adults: a longitudinal survey.BMC Public Health. 2007; 7: 30
- Does the influence of childhood adversity on psychopathology persist across the lifecourse? A 45-year prospective epidemiologic study.Ann Epidemiol. 2010; 20: 385-394
- Impact of childhood adversities on depression in early adulthood: a longitudinal cohort study of 478,141 individuals in Sweden.J Affect Disord. 2017; 223: 95-100
- Early adversity and risk for moderate to severe unipolar depressive disorder in adolescence and adulthood: a register-based study of 978,647 individuals.J Affect Disord. 2017; 214: 122-129
- Global Status Report on Violence prevention 2014.WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2014
- Transforming Our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.UN, New York, NY2015
- INSPIRE. Seven Strategies for Ending Violence Against Children.WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2016
- Worldwide application of prevention science in adolescent health.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1653-1664
- Preventing gender-based violence victimization in adolescent girls in lower-income countries: systematic review of reviews.Soc Sci Med. 2017; 192: 1-13