Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
CDC. Social determinants of health: know what affects health. www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/index.htm. Updated January 29, 2018. Accessed May 19, 2019.
- Meeting individual social needs falls short of addressing social determinants of health.Health Affairs Blog. Published January 2019;www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20190115.234942/full/Date accessed: September 10, 2019
- Meanings and misunderstandings: a social determinants of health lexicon for health care systems.Milbank Q. 2019; 97: 407-419
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Associations between housing instability and food insecurity with health care access in low-income children.Ambul Pediatr. 2008; 8: 50-57
- Social isolation: a predictor of mortality comparable to traditional clinical risk factors.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 2056-2062
- Country health rankings working paper.Different perspectives for assigning weights to determinants. Published 2010;www.countyhealthrankings.org/sites/default/files/differentPerspectivesForAssigningWeightsToDeterminantsOfHealth.pdfDate accessed: November 8, 2019
- County Health Rankings: relationships between determinant factors and health outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 129-135
- The case for more active policy attention to health promotion.Health Aff. 2002; 21: 78-93
- Health equity and the fallacy of treating causes of population health as if they sum to 100%.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 541-549
Adler NE, Cutler DM, Fielding JE, et al. Addressing social determinants of health and health disparities: a vital direction for health and health care. NAM Perspectives. Discussion paper. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Medicine. Published September 19, 2016. https://doi.org/10.31478/201609t
- Accountable Health Communities—addressing social needs through Medicare and Medicaid.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 8-11
Lee J, Korba C. Social determinants of health: how are hospitals and health systems investing in and addressing social needs?https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/life-sciences-health-care/us-lshc-addressing-social-determinants-of-health.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed 8 November 2019.
Billioux A, Verlander K, Anthony S, Alley D. Standardized screening for health-related social needs in clinical settings: the Accountable Health Communities screening tool. NAM Perspectives. Discussion paper. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Medicine. Published May 30, 2017. https://doi.org/10.31478/201705b
Bachrach D. Addressing patients’ social needs: an emerging business case for provider investment. www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2014/may/addressing-patients-social-needs-emerging-business-case-provider. Published 2014. Accessed 27 April 2019.
- Poverty and child health in the United States.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20160339
- Capturing Social and Behavioral Domains and Measures in Electronic Health Records: Phase 2.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2015
- A systematic review of interventions on patients’ social and economic needs.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 719-729
- Addressing basic resource needs to improve primary care quality: a community collaboration programme.BMJ Qual Saf. 2016; 25: 164-172
- Addressing unmet basic resource needs as part of chronic cardiometabolic disease management.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 244-252
- Impact of social determinants of health on medical conditions among transgender veterans.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 491-498
- A social needs assessment tool for an urban Latino population.J Commun Health. 2018; 43: 137-145
- A randomized trial on screening for social determinants of health: the iScreen Study.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e1611-e1618
Health leads. Social needs screening toolkit. https://nopren.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Health-Leads-Screening-Toolkit-July-2016.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed November 8, 2019.
- Democratizing information creation from health care data for quality improvement, research, and education—the Montefiore Medical Center experience.Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1362-1368
U.S. Census Bureau. American community survey: areas published. www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/geography-acs/areas-published.html. Published 2018. Accessed November 8, 2019.
- Toward addressing social determinants of health: a health care system strategy.Perm J. 2018; 22: 18-095
- Addressing social determinants of health at well child care visits: a cluster RCT.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: e296-e304
- Improving social determinants of health: effectiveness of a web-based intervention.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 822-831
- Social needs and health-related outcomes among Medicaid beneficiaries.Health Educ Behav. 2019; 46: 436-444
- Promotoras as mental health practitioners in primary care: a multi-method study of an intervention to address contextual sources of depression.J Commun Health. 2011; 36: 316-331
- Adoption of social determinants of health EHR tools by community health centers.Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16: 399-407
- Effects of social needs screening and in-person service navigation on child health: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170e162521
- Community resource needs assessment among families presenting to a pediatric emergency department.Acad Pediatr. 2019; 19: 378-385
- Patient-centered community health worker intervention to improve posthospital outcomes: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 535-543
- Association of the social determinants of health with quality of primary care.Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16: 217-224
- Addressing social determinants of health in a clinic setting: the WellRx pilot in Albuquerque, New Mexico.J Am Board Fam Med. 2016; 29: 414-418
- National Academy of Medicine social and behavioral measures: associations with self-reported health.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 449-456
- 2017 American Community Survey.1-Year Public Use Microdata Sample Data , Published 2018 (www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/data/pums.html)
- Linking urban families to community resources in the context of pediatric primary care.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 79: 251-254
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Community Health Survey . https://a816-healthpsi.nyc.gov/epiquery/CHS/CHSXIndex.html. Published 2017. Accessed 8 November 2019.
- Sleep and the housing and neighborhood environment of urban Latino adults living in low-income housing: the AHOME study.Behav Sleep Med. 2016; 14: 169-184
- Characteristics and service use of Medicare beneficiaries using Federally Qualified Health Centers.Med Care. 2016; 54: 804-809
- The Southern Community Cohort Study: investigating health disparities.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 26-37