Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- National health care spending in 2017: growth slows to post–great recession rates; share of GDP stabilizes.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 96-106
- Demographic Turning Points for the United States: Population Projections for 2020 to 2060.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2018
Sawyer B, Sroczynski N. How do health expenditures vary across the population?www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/health-expenditures-vary-across-population/#item-start. Published 2017. Accessed December 19, 2019.
- BMI, physical activity, and health care utilization/costs among Medicare retirees.Obes Res. 2005; 13: 1450-1457https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2005.175
HHS. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2nd edition. https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/pdf/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed December 19, 2019.
- Physical activity is medicine for older adults.Postgrad Med J. 2014; 90: 26-32https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2012-131366
- A review of the effects of physical activity and exercise on cognitive and brain functions in older adults.J Aging Res. 2013; 2013657508
- Physical activity and functional limitations in older adults: a systematic review related to Canada's Physical Activity Guidelines.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 38
- American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and physical activity for older adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 1510-1530https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181a0c95c
- Physical activity promotion in primary care targeting the older adult.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012; 24: 405-416https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00703.x
- Prevalence and trends in physical activity among older adults in the United States: a comparison across three national surveys.Prev Med. 2016; 89: 37-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.05.009
CDC. Percent of adults who engage in no leisure-time physical activity.https://chronicdata.cdc.gov/Nutrition-Physical-Activity-and-Obesity/Percent-of-Adults-who-engage-in-no-leisure-time-ph/6nef-e823. Published 2019. Accessed December 20, 2019.
- Inadequate physical activity and health care expenditures in the United States.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 57: 315-323
- Relationship of body mass index and physical activity to health care costs among employees.J Occup Environ Med. 2004; 46: 428-436
- Health care costs associated with prolonged sitting and inactivity.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 265-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.11.014
- Variation across Canada in the economic burden attributable to excess weight, tobacco smoking and physical inactivity.Can J Public Health. 2015; 106: e171-e177https://doi.org/10.17269/cjph.106.4994
- The costs of physical inactivity in the Czech Republic in 2008.J Phys Act Health. 2014; 11: 489-494
- The economic burden of ill health due to diet, physical inactivity, smoking, alcohol and obesity in the UK: an update to 2006–07 NHS costs.J Public Health. 2011; 33: 527-535
- Physical inactivity: direct cost to a health plan.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 304-309https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.07.014
- How an aging society affects the economic costs of inactivity in Germany: empirical evidence and projections.Eur Rev Aging Phys Act. 2017; 14: 18
- The economic burden of physical inactivity: a global analysis of major non-communicable diseases.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1311-1324
- Access to parks and recreational facilities, physical activity, and health care costs for older adults: evidence from U.S. counties.J Leis Res. 2019; 50: 220-238
- An ecological perspective on health promotion programs.Health Educ Behav. 1988; 15: 351-377https://doi.org/10.1177/109019818801500401
- An ecological approach to creating active living communities.Annu Rev Public Health. 2006; 27: 297-322
DNPAO Public Inquiries. CDC nutrition, physical activity, and obesity - legislation.https://chronicdata.cdc.gov/Nutrition-Physical-Activity-and-Obesity/CDC-Nutrition-Physical-Activity-and-Obesity-Legisl/nxst-x9p4. Published 2018. Accessed September 28, 2019.
- Organized sport and physical activity participation and body mass index in children and youth: a longitudinal study.Prev Med Rep. 2017; 6: 336-338https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2017.04.005
- Isotemporal substitution analysis for physical activity, television watching, and risk of depression.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 474-483https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws590
- Physical activity and mortality: a prospective study among women.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 578-583https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.91.4.578
- Technical report: A standardized method for adjusting Medicare expenditures for regional differences in prices.The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, 2018https://atlasdata.dartmouth.edu/downloads/methods/Std_prices_techreport.pdfDate accessed: December 19, 2019
The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care. Research Methods. The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice.http://archive.dartmouthatlas.org/downloads/methods/research_methods.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2018.
- A systematic review of publications assessing reliability and validity of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), 2004–2011.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013; 13: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-13-49
- Modeling per capita state health expenditure variation: state-level characteristics matter.Medicare Medicaid Res Rev. 2013; 3: E1-E21https://doi.org/10.5600/mmrr.003.04.a03
- A spatial analysis of linkages between health care expenditures, physical inactivity, obesity and recreation supply.J Leis Res. 2005; 37: 216-235
- Health insurance coverage in the United States. 2017.U.S. Department of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, D.C.2018www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2018/demo/p60-264.pdfDate accessed: December 19, 2019
- An overview of Medicare.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CA2019www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/an-overview-of-medicare/Date accessed: July 9, 2019
- The spillover effects of health IT investments on regional healthcare costs.Manag Sci. 2018; 64: 2515-2534https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2017.2750
- Health care charges associated with physical inactivity, overweight, and obesity.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005; 2: A09www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1435706/Date accessed: November 27, 2017
- The influence of obesity and overweight on medical costs: a panel data perspective.Eur J Health Econ. 2015; 16: 161-173https://doi.org/10.1007/s10198-014-0562-z
- Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?.J Health Econ. 2001; 20: 461-494
- Health care expenses in relation to obesity and smoking among U.S. adults by gender, race/ethnicity, and age group: 1998–2011.Public Health. 2015; 129: 29-36
- Obesity paradoxes.J Sports Sci. 2011; 29: 773-782https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2011.553965
- Dying for a smoke: how much does differential mortality of smokers affect estimated life-course smoking prevalence?.Prev Med. 2011; 52: 66-70
- The health care costs of smoking.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1052-1057
- Modeling health care spending growth of older adults.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 138-155https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12640
- Rate of physical activity and community health: evidence from U.S. counties.J Phys Act Health. 2016; 13: 640-648https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2015-0399
- Report to the Congress: Medicare Payment Policy.Medical Payment Advisory Commission, Washington, DC2019