Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Fast Food Consumption Among Adults in the United States, 2013–2016. NCHS Data Brief, no 322.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2018
- Caloric Intake From Fast Food Among Children and Adolescents in the United States, 2011‒2012. NCHS data brief, no 213.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2015
- Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: a systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 535-547
- Fast-food and full-service restaurant consumption and daily energy and nutrient intakes in U.S. adults.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 97-103
- Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 112-118
- Fast food consumption of U.S. adults: impact on energy and nutrient intakes and overweight status.J Am Coll Nutr. 2004; 23: 163-168
- Fast-food consumption among U.S. adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profile.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1332-1338
- The impact of restaurant consumption among U.S. adults: effects on energy and nutrient intakes.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 2445-2452
- Energy content of U.S. fast-food restaurant offerings: 14-year trends.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 490-497
- Fast-food offerings in the United States in 1986, 1991, and 2016 show large increases in food variety, portion size, dietary energy, and selected micronutrients.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 923-933
- Progress evaluation for transnational restaurant chains to reformulate products and standardize portions to meet healthy dietary guidelines and reduce obesity and non-communicable disease risks, 2000–2018: a scoping and systematic review to inform policy.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 2732
Oches S. The QSR 50. Durham, NC: QSR Magazine; 2018. www.qsrmagazine.com/reports/2018-qsr-50. Accessed July 6, 2019.
- Calorie changes in large chain restaurants: declines in new menu items but room for improvement.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: e1-e8
- Macronutrient composition of menu offerings in fast food restaurants in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: e91-e97
- Trends in sodium content of menu items in large chain restaurants in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 28-36
Reuters. Burger King to add healthier menu items. CNBC Markets. www.cnbc.com/id/20746175. Updated August 5, 2010. Accessed July 31, 2019.
Jones A. Why McDonald's added healthy menu options.https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-mcdonald-added-healthy-menu-210028763.html. Published 2014. Accessed July 31, 2019.
- Availability of healthier children's menu items in the top selling quick service restaurant chains (2004-2015).Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 267-269
- Calorie changes in chain restaurant menu items: implications for obesity and evaluations of menu labeling.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 70-75
Harris JL, Schwartz MB, Munsell CR, et al. Fast food FACTS 2013: Measuring progress in nutrition and marketing to children and teens. Hartford, CT: Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. www.fastfoodmarketing.org/media/FastFoodFACTS_Report.pdf. Published 2013. Accessed February 28, 2020.
- Changes in the nutritional quality of fast-food items marketed at restaurants, 2010 v. 2013.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 2117-2127
The MenuStat Project. http://menustat.org/. Accessed June 9, 2016.
The MenuStat project methods. New York, NY: MenuStat.http://menustat.org/Content/assets/pdfFile/MenuStat%20Data%20Completeness%20Documentation.pdf. Published January 2019. Accessed November 5, 2019.
- The accuracy of stated energy contents of reduced-energy, commercially prepared foods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 116-123
- Nutrition professionals’ perception of the ‘healthiness’ of individual foods.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 346-353
- Validating a nutrient profile model.Public Health Nutr. 2008; 11: 371-378
- Testing nutrient profile models using data from a survey of nutrition professionals.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 337-345
- Evaluating the healthiness of chain-restaurant menu items using crowdsourcing: a new method [published correction appears in Public Health Nutr.2017;20(1):190].Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 18-24
- Purchases of ready-to-eat cereals vary across U.S. household sociodemographic categories according to nutritional value and advertising targets.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 1456-1465
Rayner M, Scarborough P, Boxer A, Stockley L. Nutrient profiles: development of final model. Oxford, England: British Heart Foundation Health Promotion Research Group, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford; 2005.
- Defining and labelling ‘healthy’ and ‘unhealthy’ food.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 331-340
- Trends in nutrient content of children's menu items in U.S. chain restaurants.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 284-291
- The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the U.S. obesity epidemic.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 246-249
- Increased portion sizes from energy-dense foods affect total energy intake at eating occasions in U.S. children and adolescents: patterns and trends by age group and sociodemographic characteristics, 1977–2006.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1324-1332
- Fast foods, energy density and obesity: a possible mechanistic link.Obes Rev. 2003; 4: 187-194
- Fast-food menu offerings vary in dietary quality, but are consistently poor.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 924-931
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. 42 U.S.C § 18001 et seq. (2010).
- Menu labeling as a potential strategy for combating the obesity epidemic: a health impact assessment.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 1680-1686
- Restaurants with calories displayed on menus had lower calorie counts compared to restaurants without such labels.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1877-1884
- Supra-additive effects of combining fat and carbohydrate on food reward.Cell Metab. 2018; 28: 33-44.e3
- Dopamine and diet-induced obesity.Nat Neurosci. 2019; 22: 1-2
- Dopamine D2 receptors in addiction-like reward dysfunction and compulsive eating in obese rats.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 635-641