Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2014; 384: 766-781
- Prevalence of obesity in the United States.JAMA. 2014; 312: 189-190
- Trends in obesity and severe obesity prevalence in US youth and adults by sex and age, 2007-2008 to 2015-2016.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1723-1725
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
- Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults–the evidence report.Obes Res. 1998; 6: 51S-209S
Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Apovian CM, et al. 2013. AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Obesity Society. Circulation. 2014;129(25 suppl 2):S102-S138. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000437739.71477.ee.
- Summary of revisions: standards of medical care in diabetes-2019.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: S4-S6
- Long-term drug treatment for obesity: a systematic and clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 74-86
- Cardiovascular safety of lorcaserin in overweight or obese patients.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1107-1117
- Liraglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in adults with overweight or obesity: a post hoc analysis from SCALE randomized controlled trials.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2018; 20: 734-739
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. CPT and ICD-9 codes for bariatric surgery. https://asmbs.org/resources/cpt-and-icd-9-codes-for-bariatric-surgery. Published 2014. Accessed March 27, 2019.
CDC. Adult obesity prevalence maps. www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html. Updated October 29, 2019. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Trends in obesity among adults in the United States, 2005 to 2014.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2284-2291
- Adult obesity management in primary care, 2008-2013.Prev Med. 2017; 99: 128-133
- Underdiagnosis of obesity in adults in US outpatient settings.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 313-314
- Adult obesity and office-based quality of care in the United States.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 1077-1085
- Prevalence and recognition of obesity and its associated comorbidities: cross-sectional analysis of electronic health record data from a large US integrated health system.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e017583
- A silent response to the obesity epidemic: decline in US physician weight counseling.Med Care. 2013; 51: 186-192
- Treatment of obesity: pharmacotherapy trends in the United States from 1999 to 2010.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 1721-1728
- Barriers to obesity management: a pilot study of primary care clinicians.BMC Fam Pract. 2006; 7: 35
- Primary care physicians’ attitudes about obesity and its treatment.Obes Res. 2003; 11: 1168-1177
- Barriers to providing nutrition counseling by physicians: a survey of primary care practitioners.Prev Med. 1995; 24: 546-552
- The role of obesity training in medical school and residency on bariatric surgery knowledge in primary care physicians.Int J Fam Med. 2015; 2015841249
- Provider attitudes and practice patterns ofobesity management with pharmacotherapy.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2017; 29: 543-550
- The challenges and opportunities associated with reimbursement forobesity pharmacotherapy in the USA.Pharmacoeconomics. 2015; 33: 643-653
- An evidence-based guide for obesity treatment in primary care.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 115.e1-115.e7
- A two-year randomized trial of obesity treatment in primary care practice.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1969-1979
- Managing obesity in primary care practice: an overview with perspective from the POWER-UP study.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37: S3-S11
- Will obesity treatment reimbursement benefit those at highest risk.Am J Med. 2015; 128: 670-671
- Coverage for obesity prevention and treatment services: analysis of Medicaid and state employee health insurance programs.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 1834-1840
Stern JS, Kazaks A, Downey M. Future and implications of reimbursement for obesity treatment. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105(5 suppl 1):S104-S109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2005.02.048.
- Management of obesity: improvement of health-care training and systems for prevention and care.Lancet. 2015; 385: 2521-2533
- Meta-analysis: pharmacologic treatment of obesity.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 532-546
- Physician knowledge about and perceptions of obesity management.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2015; 9: 573-583