Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Transgender History: The Roots of Today's Revolution.2nd ed. Seal Press, New York, NY2017
- Transgender stigma and health: a critical review of stigma determinants, mechanisms, and interventions.Soc Sci Med. 2015; 147: 222-231
- Gendered restrooms and minority stress: the public regulation of gender and its impact on transgender people's lives.J Public Manag Soc Policy. 2013; 19: 65-80
- “I fear for my safety, but want to show bravery for others”: violence and discrimination concerns among transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals after the 2016 presidential election.Violence Gend. 2018; 5: 26-36
- State Anti-Transgender Bathroom Bills Threaten Transgender People's Health and Participation in Public Life.Center for American Progress, The Fenway Institute, Boston, MAPublished 2016https://fenwayhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/COM-2485-Transgender-Bathroom-Bill-Brief_v8-pages.pdfDate accessed: August 27, 2018
- The Report of the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey.National Center for Transgender Equity, Washington, DCPublished December 2016https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/USTS-Full-Report-FINAL.PDFDate accessed: May 10, 2017
Human Rights Campaign Foundation. Equality from state to state & state equality index archives.www.hrc.org/resources/equality-from-state-to-state. Published 2019. Accessed April 2019.
- Transgender inclusion in state non-discrimination policies: the democratic deficit and political powerlessness.Res Polit. 2015; 22053168015612246
- State-level policies and psychiatric morbidity in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2275-2281
- The state of transgender health care: policy, law, and medical frameworks.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e31-e38
- Psychosocial disparities among racial/ethnic minority transgender young adults and young men who have sex with men living in Detroit.Transgend Health. 2016; 1: 279-290
- Examining associations between state-level transgender policies and transgender health.Transgend Health. 2018; 3: 220-224
- Effects of state nondiscrimination laws on transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals’ perceived community stigma and mental health.J Gay Lesbian Ment Health. 2016; 20: 350-362
- Individual- and structural-level risk factors for suicide attempts among transgender adults.Behav Med. 2015; 41: 164-171
Human Rights Campaign Foundation. Violence against the transgender community in 2019. www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-transgender-community-in-2019. Published 2019. Accessed June 28, 2019.
- Racial and ethnic differences in experiences of discrimination in accessing health services among transgender people in the United States.Int J Transgend. 2015; 16: 68‒79
- African American experiences in healthcare: “I always feel like I'm getting skipped over”.Health Psychol. 2016; 35: 987-995
- Smedley BD Stith AY Nelson AR Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2003
- Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans From Colonial Times to the Present.Doubleday Books, New York, NY2006
- Racial Formation in the United States.3rd ed. Routledge, New York, NY2014
- Understanding Everyday Racism: An Interdisciplinary Theory.Sage, Newbury Park, CA1991
Movement Advancement Project. Equality maps snapshot: LGBTQ equality by state. www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps. Published 2018 Accessed May 2, 2018.
Movement Advancement Project. LGBT policy spotlight: state and federal religious exemptions and the LGBT community. https://www.lgbtmap.org/policy-and-issue-analysis/policy-spotlight-rfra. Published September 2015. Accessed May 6, 2019.
Movement Advancement Project. LGBT policy spotlight: nondiscrimination protections for LGBT people.https://www.lgbtmap.org/policy-and-issue-analysis/policy-spotlight-nondiscrimination-laws. Published October 2015. Accessed May 6, 2019.
Movement Advancement Project. LGBT policy spotlight: identity documents laws and policies.https://www.lgbtmap.org/policy-and-issue-analysis/policy-spotlight-identity-documents. Published November 2015. Accessed May 6, 2019.
- Syndemic theory and HIV-related risk among young transgender women: the role of multiple, co-occurring health problems and social marginalization.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1751-1757
- Barriers to quality health care for the transgender population.Clin Biochem. 2014; 47: 983-987
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress.Psychol Med. 2002; 32: 959-976
U.S. Census Bureau. American Community Survey.https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/news/data-releases/2017/release.html. Published 2017. Accessed August 16, 2018.
U.S. Department of Agriculture. Rural-urban continuum codes.www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes/. Updated October 25, 2019. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- What do we do with missing data? Some options for analysis of incomplete data.Annu Rev Public Health. 2004; 25: 99-117
- Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.3rd ed. Lawrence Erlbaurn Associates, Mahwah, NJ2003
- Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity.Simon and Schuster, New York, NY2009
- How does sexual minority stigma “get under the skin”? A psychological mediation framework.Psychol Bull. 2009; 135: 707-730
- A venue-based method for sampling hard-to-reach populations.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 216-222
- Race and Ethnicity of Adults Who Identify as Transgender in the United States.The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, CAPublished October 2016https://anony.link/https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Race-and-Ethnicity-of-Transgender-Identified-Adults-in-the-US.pdfDate accessed: August 27, 2018
- Innovative recruitment using online networks: lessons learned from an online study of alcohol and other drug use utilizing a web-based, respondent-driven sampling (webRDS) strategy.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2012; 73: 834-838
- Bias in online recruitment and retention of racial and ethnic minority men who have sex with men.J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13: e38
- Examining racial and ethnic minority differences among YMSM during recruitment for an online HIV prevention intervention study.AIDS Behav. 2012; 16: 1430-1435
- The demise of queer space? Resurgent gentrification and the assimilation of LGBT neighborhoods.J Plan Educ Res. 2011; 31: 6-25
- Demographics of the gay and lesbian population in the United States: evidence from available systematic data sources.Demography. 2000; 37: 139-154