Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Vital Signs: prevalence of key cardiovascular disease risk factors for Million Hearts 2022 - United States, 2011-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 983-991
- Hypertension prevalence and control among adults: United States, 2015-2016.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; 289: 1-8
- Prevalence of excess sodium intake in the United States - NHANES, 2009-2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 64: 1393-1397
- Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
- Dietary guidelines for Americans.JAMA. 2016; 315: 457-458
- Sodium, blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease: further evidence supporting the American Heart Association sodium reduction recommendations.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2880-2889
- Guideline:Sodium Intake for Adults and Children.WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2012
- Mortality benefits from U.S. population-wide reduction in sodium consumption: projections from 3 modeling approaches.Hypertension. 2013; 61: 564-570
- Population strategies to decrease sodium intake and the burden of cardiovascular disease: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 481-487
- Projected effect of dietary salt reductions on future cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 590-599
- Potential societal savings from reduced sodium consumption in the U.S. adult population.Am J Health Promot. 2009; 24: 49-57
- Predicted national productivity implications of calorie and sodium reductions in the American diet.Am J Health Promot. 2009; 23: 423-430
- Estimating the health and economic effects of the proposed U.S. Food and Drug Administration voluntary sodium reformulation: microsimulation cost-effectiveness analysis.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002551
Agriculture Research Service. Nutrient intake from food and beverages: mean amounts consumed per individual, by gender and age. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2015-2016. Beltsville, MD: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service.www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400530/pdf/1516/Table_1_NIN_GEN_15.pdf. Published. 2018. Accessed June 14, 2019.
Healthy People 2020, nutrition and weight status. HHS.www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/nutrition-and-weight-status/objectives. Updated April 21, 2020. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020.8th Edition. Simon and Schuster, New York, NY2015
- Sources of sodium in U.S. adults from 3 geographic regions.Circulation. 2017; 135: 1775-1783
- Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to sodium intake and reduction among adult consumers in the United States.Am J Health Promot. 2017; 31: 68-75
- Draft guidance for industry: voluntary sodium reduction goals: target mean and upper bound concentrations for sodium in commercially processed, packaged, and prepared foods for voluntary sodium reduction goals.U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2016 (www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/ucm494732.htm. Accessed September 28, 2016)
Sodium reduction. U.S. Food and Drug Administration.www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/sodium-reduction. Updated 2018. Accessed October 17, 2019.
- Salt reduction initiatives around the world - a systematic review of progress towards the global target.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0130247
- Population-level interventions in government jurisdictions for dietary sodium reduction: a Cochrane Review.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46 (1551–1405.https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw361)
- Systematic review of dietary salt reduction policies: evidence for an effectiveness hierarchy.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0177535
- The salt factor in apoplexy and hypertension: epidemiological studies in Japan.in: Yamori Y Lovinberg W Freis E Perspectives in Cardiovascular Research. Raven Press, New York, NY1979: 467-474
- Sodium intake and hypertension.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2006; 49: 59-75
- Salt reduction in England from 2003 to 2011: its relationship to blood pressure, stroke and ischaemic heart disease mortality.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004549
- Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and colorectal cancer: a decision analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 777-786
- Modeled health and economic impact of team-based care for hypertension.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: S34-S44
- Health benefits and cost-effectiveness of asymptomatic screening for hypertension and high cholesterol and aspirin counseling for primary prevention.Ann Fam Med. 2017; 15: 23-36
Framingham Heart Study—Cohort. Calverton, MD: Biologic Specimen and Data Repository Information Coordinating Center, NIH; 2010
Framingham Heart Study—Offspring. Calverton, MD: Biologic Specimen and Data Repository Information Coordinating Center, NIH; 2010
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey; 2001–2010.http://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/. Accessed March 16, 2020.
Current Population Survey data for social, economic and health research. IPUMS CPS. https://cps.ipums.org/cps/. Accessed March 15, 2018.
SIPP 2008 Panel Data. U.S. Census Bureau. www.census.gov/programs-surveys/sipp/data/2008-panel.html. Updated 2008. Accessed 2014.
- Economic productivity by age and sex: 2007 estimates for the United States.Med Care. 2009; 47: S94-S103
- Measuring health-related productivity loss.Popul Health Manag. 2011; 14: 93-98
- Global sodium consumption and death from cardiovascular causes.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 624-634
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Sodium and Potassium.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2019
- Effect of longer-term modest salt reduction on blood pressure.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; CD004937
- Modeling the health and budgetary impacts of a team-based hypertension care intervention that includes pharmacists.Med Care. 2019; 57: 882-889
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to the congress: Medicare and the health care delivery system. Washington, DC. Medicare Payment Advisory Commission; 2018.http://medpac.gov/docs/default-source/reports/jun19_medpac_reporttocongress_sec.pdf.
Glied S, Kronick R. The value of health insurance: few of the uninsured have adequate resources to pay potential hospital bills. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, Office of Health Policy, HHS; 2011.http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2011/ValueofInsurance/rb.shtml.
Dehmer SP. The Economics of a New Health Technology: an Evaluation of the Impact of Statins on Lifestyle Behaviors. Minneapolis [dissertation], MN: University of Minnesota, 2012.
- Assessing sex differences in the risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality per increment in systolic blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis of follow-up studies in the United States.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0170218
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Estimated reductions in cardiovascular and gastric cancer disease burden through salt policies in England: an IMPACTNCD microsimulation study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e013791
- Measurement error corrected sodium and potassium intake estimation using 24-hour urinary excretion.Hypertension. 2014; 63: 238-244
- Comparison of self-reported dietary intakes from the automated self-administered 24-h recall, 4-d food records, and food-frequency questionnaires against recovery biomarkers.Am J Clin Nutr. 2018; 107: 80-93
- Evaluation of measurement error in 24-hour dietary recall for assessing sodium and potassium intake among U.S. adults - National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 2014.Am J Clin Nutr. 2019; 109: 1672-1682
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2199-2269
- Failure to compensate decreased dietary sodium with increased table salt usage.JAMA. 1987; 258: 3275-3278
- Reduced-sodium lunches are well-accepted by uninformed consumers over a 3-week period and result in decreased daily dietary sodium intakes: a randomized controlled trial.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1614-1625
- Fewer adults add salt at the table after initiation of a national salt campaign in the UK: a repeated cross-sectional analysis.Br J Nutr. 2013; 110: 552-558