Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Kidney disease: improving global outcomes (KDIGO) CKD Work Group. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int Suppl. 2013; 3 (Accessed April 3, 2019.): 1-150
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Chronic kidney disease in the United States, 2019.HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2019Accessed April 3, 2019.)
- Mortality in the United States, 2017.NCHS Data Brief. 2018; (Accessed April 3, 2019.): 1-8
- Social determinants of racial disparities in CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 2576-2595
- Social determinants of health: addressing unmet needs in nephrology.Am J Kidney Dis. 2018; 72: 582-591
About social determinants of health. WHO. www.who.int/social_determinants/sdh_definition/en/. Accessed April 3, 2019.
Social determinants of health. Office of Disease Prevention and HealthPromotion. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-health. Accessed April 3, 2019.
- A life course approach to chronic disease epidemiology.Annu Rev Public Health. 2005; 26: 1-35
- Life course health development: an integrated framework for developing health, policy, and research.Milbank Q. 2002; 80: 433-479
Keating DP, Hertzman C, eds. Developmental Health and Wealth of Nations: Social, Biological, and Educational Dynamics. New York, NY: Guilford Press, 2000.
- Relationship between individual categories of adverse childhood experience and diabetes in adulthood in a sample of U.S. adults: does it differ by gender.J Diabetes Complications. 2018; 32: 139-143
- Adverse childhood experiences and blood pressure trajectories from childhood to young adulthood: the Georgia Stress and Heart Study.Circulation. 2015; 131: 1674-1681
- Association of adverse childhood experiences with life course health and development.N C Med J. 2018; 79: 99-103
- Associations between adverse childhood experiences, high-risk behaviors, and morbidity in adulthood.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 344-352
- The effect of multiple adverse childhood experiences on health: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2017; 2: e356-e366
- Measuring mortality and the burden of adult disease associated with adverse childhood experiences in England: a national survey.J Public Health (Oxf). 2015; 37: 445-454
- Adverse childhood experiences and the risk of premature mortality.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 389-396
- The enduring effects of abuse and related adverse experiences in childhood. A convergence of evidence from neurobiology and epidemiology.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006; 256: 174-186
- The co-occurrence of diabetes and adverse childhood experiences and its impact on mortality in U.S. adults.J Affect Disord. 2019; 249: 20-25
- Adverse childhood experiences.Paediatr Child Health. 2018; 28: 132-137
- Childhood adversity and adult chronic disease: an update from ten states and the District of Columbia, 2010.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 345-349
- Using path analysis to examine the relationship between sexual abuse in childhood and diabetes in adulthood in a sample of U.S. adults.Prev Med. 2018; 108: 1-7
- Adverse childhood experiences and associations with health-harming behaviours in young adults: surveys in eight eastern European countries.Bull World Health Organ. 2014; 92: 641-655
- Relative deprivation and mortality–a longitudinal study in a Swedish population of 4.7 million, 1990-2006.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 664
- Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 14: 245-258
- The effect of adverse childhood experiences on adult health: 2012 North Carolina Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey.SCHS Studies, A Publication of The State Center for Health Statistics, Raleigh, NCMay 2014https://schs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/schs/pdf/SCHS_Study_167_FIN_20140505.pdf(Published)Date accessed: April 10, 2020
Midlife in the United States: a national longitudinal study of health & well-being. MIDUS, National Institute of Aging. http://midus.wisc.edu/scopeofstudy.php. Accessed March 4, 2019.
- Childhood disadvantage and health problems in middle and later life: early imprints on physical health?.Am Sociol Rev. 2016; 81: 107-133
- Retrospective reports of childhood misfortune are associated with positive and negative affect in adulthood: exploring the moderating role of control beliefs.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2017; 84: 276-293
- Children of misfortune: early adversity and cumulative inequality in perceived life trajectories.Am J Sociol. 2011; 116: 1053-1091
- Performance of the Cockcroft-Gault, MDRD, and new CKD-EPI formulas in relation to GFR, age, and body size.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 1003-1009
Ryff C, Almeida D, Ayanian J, et al. Midlife in the United States (MIDUS 3), 2013–2014. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor]. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR36346.v7
- Fitting cox model using PROC PHREG and beyond in SAS.Maryland Medical Research Institute, Baltimore, MD2009http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/236-2009.pdf(Published)Date accessed: April 10, 2020
- Adverse childhood experiences and premature all-cause mortality.Eur J Epidemiol. 2013; 28: 721-734
- Adverse childhood experiences and adult risk factors for age-related disease: depression, inflammation, and clustering of metabolic risk markers.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 1135-1143
- What is fetal programming?: a lifetime health is under the control of in utero health.Obstet Gynecol Sci. 2017; 60: 506-519
- Developmental origins of disease - crisis precipitates change.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016; 39: 919-938
- Trends in social inequalities for premature coronary heart disease mortality in Great Britain, 1994-2008: a time trend ecological study.BMJ Open. 2012; 2e000737
- Lifelong socioeconomic trajectory and premature mortality (35–65 years) in France: findings from the GAZEL Cohort Study.J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2006; 60: 937-944
- Multimorbidity in people with chronic kidney disease: implications for outcomes and treatment.Curr Opin NephrolHypertens. 2016; 25: 465-472
American Heart Association. Screening for adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and referral pathways. Position statement of the American Heart Association. Washington, DC: American Heart Association. www.heart.org/-/media/files/about-us/policy-research/policy-positions/socialdeterminants-of-health/aces--screening-and-referralpathways.pdf?la=en&hash=6CDCD7CCD68604390A79DF081E100CF31DAADD20. Accessed March 3, 2020.
- Adverse childhood experiences and prescription drug use in a cohort study of adult HMO patients.BMC Public Health. 2008; 8: 198
- Rethinking the patient: using Burden of Treatment Theory to understand the changing dynamics of illness.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 281