Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Increases in the use of prescription opioid analgesics and the lack of improvement in disability metrics among users.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2014; 39: 6-12
- Trends in long-term opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009; 18: 1166-1175
Volkow ND. America's addiction to opioids: heroin and prescription drug abuse. Bethesda, MD: HHS, NIH; 2014. https://www.nih.gov/sites/default/files/institutes/olpa/20140514-senate-testimony-volkow.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Vital signs: changes in opioid prescribing in the United States, 2006-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 697-704
- A 1980 letter on the risk of opioid addiction.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2194-2195
- History of the Joint Commission's pain standards: lessons for today's prescription opioid epidemic.JAMA. 2017; 317: 1117-1118
- Prevalence of persistent pain in the U.S. adult population: new data from the 2010 National Health Interview Survey.J Pain. 2014; 15: 979-984
- Changing trends in opioid use among patients with rheumatoid arthritis in the United States.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017; 69: 1733-1740
- Trends in prescription of opioids from 2003-2009 in persons with knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014; 66: 1489-1495
- Opioid use in patients with rheumatoid arthritis 2005-2014: a population-based comparative study.Clin Rheumatol. 2016; 35: 1137-1144
- Association of geography and access to health care providers with long-term prescription opioid use in Medicare patients with severe osteoarthritis: a cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019; 71: 712-721
- Chronic opioid use in rheumatoid arthritis: prevalence and predictors.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019; 71: 670-677
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States, 2016.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016; 65: 1-49
- Tapering long-term opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain: evidence and recommendations for everyday practice.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 828-842
MEPS-HC sample design and collection process. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. https://meps.ahrq.gov/survey_comp/hc_data_collection.jsp. Accessed October 31, 2014.
MEPS-HC panel design and data collection process. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. https://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/survey_comp/hc_data_collection.jsp. Accessed March 27, 2020.
MEPS-HC response rates by panel. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. https://meps.ahrq.gov/survey_comp/hc_response_rate.jsp. Accessed October 16, 2018.
- Defining arthritis for public health surveillance: methods and estimates in four U.S. population health surveys.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017; 69: 356-367
Data Resources. Analyzing Prescription Data and Morphine Milligram Equivalents, 2017 version. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/resources/data.html. Accessed October 9, 2019.
- Age adjustment using the 2000 projected U.S. population.Healthy People 2010 Stat Notes. 2001; : 1-10
- National trends in long-term use of prescription opioids.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2018; 27: 526-534
- Prevalence of severe joint pain among adults with doctor-diagnosed arthritis - United States, 2002-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1052-1056
- Patterns and predictors of persistent opioid use following hip or knee arthroplasty.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017; 25: 1399-1406
- Estimating model-adjusted risks, risk differences, and risk ratios from complex survey data.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 171: 618-623
- The analysis of categorical data from complex sample surveys: chi-squared tests for goodness of fit and independence in two-way tables.J Am Stat Assoc. 1981; 76: 221-230
Schreiber-Gregory DN. Multicollinearity: what is it, why should we care, and how can it be controlled? Seattle, Washington: Henry M Jackson Foundation/National University; 2017. https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/1404-2017.pdf. Accessed December 6, 2018.
- Patient characteristics and healthcare utilization of a chronic pain population within an integrated healthcare system.Am J Manag Care. 2017; 23: e50-e56
- Psychological aspects of chronic musculoskeletal pain.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2015; 29: 147-155
- Examining the association between pain severity and quality-of-life, work-productivity loss, and healthcare resource use among European adults diagnosed with pain.J Med Econ. 2016; 19: 858-865
- Influence of opioid-related side effects on disability, mood, and opioid misuse risk among patients with chronic pain in primary care.Pain Rep. 2017; 2: e589
- The brain on opioids.Pain. 2018; 159: S24-S30
- Prevalence and changes in analgesic medication utilisation 1 year prior to total joint replacement in an older cohort of patients.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018; 26: 356-362
- Prescription opioid use, misuse, and use disorders in U.S. adults: 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 293-301
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual Surveillance Report of Drug-Related Risks and Outcomes—United States. Surveillance Special Report 1. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, HHS. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/pubs/2017-cdc-drug-surveillance-report.pdf. Published August 31, 2017. Accessed January 3, 2019.
- The prevalence of chronic pain in Canada.Pain Res Manag. 2011; 16: 445-450
- Prevalence, causes, severity, impact, and management of chronic pain in Australian general practice patients.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 1346-1361
- Opioid prescriptions by U.S. primary care physicians from 1992 to 2001.J Pain. 2006; 7: 225-235
- Treatment of Osteoarthritis of the Knee, 2nd edition. Summary of Recommendations.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL2013https://www5.aaos.org/cc_files/aaosorg/research/guidelines/oaksummaryofrecommendations.pdfDate accessed: November 29, 2018
- 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation Guideline for the management of osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020; 72: 149-162
- OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee, hip, and polyarticular osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2019; 27: 1578-1589
- Opioids for osteoarthritis pain: benefits and risks.Can Fam Physician. 2012; 58: e708
- Comparative pain reduction of oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and opioids for knee osteoarthritis: systematic analytic review.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016; 24: 962-972
- Effect of opioid vs nonopioid medications on pain-related function in patients with chronic back pain or hip or knee osteoarthritis pain: the SPACE Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA. 2018; 319: 872-882
- Psychotherapeutic approaches in the treatment of pain.Psychiatry (Edgmont). 2005; 2: 19-24
The Interagency Pain Research Coordinating Committee. National pain strategy: a comprehensive population health-level strategy for pain. Bethesda, MD: National Institute of Health, HHS.https://www.iprcc.nih.gov/sites/default/files/HHSNational_Pain_Strategy_508C.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain is effective, but for whom?.Pain. 2016; 157: 2115-2123
- Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane Reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 1CD011279
- Effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction vs cognitive behavioral therapy or usual care on back pain and functional limitations in adults with chronic low back pain: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1240-1249
- Community-deliverable exercise and anxiety in adults with arthritis and other rheumatic diseases: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e019138
- Effects of exercise on depression in adults with arthritis: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Arthritis Res Ther. 2015; 17: 21
- Effects of community-deliverable exercise on pain and physical function in adults with arthritis and other rheumatic diseases: a meta-analysis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: 79-93
- Depression and anxiety in pain.Rev Pain. 2010; 4: 8-12
- Changes in pain perception following psychotherapy: the mediating role of psychological components.Pain Res Manag. 2018; 20188713084
- Symptoms of anxiety and depression among adults with arthritis - United States, 2015-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1081-1087
- A meta-analysis of health status, health behaviors, and healthcare utilization outcomes of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10120112
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pocket guide: tapering opioids for chronic pain. Atlanta, GA: HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/clinical_pocket_guide_tapering-a.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. Respondent payment experiment with MEPS Panel 13. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. https://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/data_files/publications/rpe_report/rpe_report_2010.shtml. Published October 6, 2010. Accessed March 27, 2020.