Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Non-binary/genderqueer identities: a critical review of the literature.Curr Sex Health Rep. 2017; 9: 116-120https://doi.org/10.1007/s11930-017-0111-8
- Health disparities between genderqueer, transgender, and cisgender individuals: an extension of minority stress theory.J Couns Psychol. 2019; 66: 385-395https://doi.org/10.1037/cou0000339
- Mental health of transgender youth in care at an adolescent urban community health center: a matched retrospective cohort study.J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56: 274-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.10.264
- Estimating the health status of privately insured gender minority children and adults.LGBT Health. 2019; 6: 289-296https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2018.0238
- Mental health of transgender veterans in U.S. states with and without discrimination and hate crime legal protection.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 534-540https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302981
James SE, Herman JL, Rankin S, Keisling M, Mottet L, Anafi M. The report of the 2015 U.S. transgender survey. Washington, DC: National Center for Transgender Equality. https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/USTS-Full-Report-FINAL.PDF. Published December 2016. Accessed April 24, 2020.
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease and cancer during cross-sex hormone therapy in a large cohort of trans persons: a case-control study.Eur J Endocrinol. 2013; 169: 471-478https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-13-0493
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors and myocardial infarction in the transgender population.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2019; 12e005597https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.119.005597
- Association of race and sex with risk of incident acute coronary heart disease events.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1768-1774https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.14306
- Gender, socioeconomic and ethnic/racial disparities in cardiovascular disease: a time for change.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 170: 255-257https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.10.082
- Disparities in diabetes deaths among children and adolescents - United States, 2000-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 502-505https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6619a4
- Association of modifiable risk factors in young adulthood with racial disparity in incident type 2 diabetes during middle adulthood.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2457-2465https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.19546
- Let's get serious about racial and ethnic disparities.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 19: 1271-1275https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2008040358
- Social determinants of racial disparities in CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016; 27: 2576-2595https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2016010027
- Addressing asthma health disparities: a multilevel challenge.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123: 1209-1219https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.02.043
- Demarginalizing the intersection of race and sex: a black feminist critique of antidiscrimination doctrine, feminisit theory, and antiracist politics.Univ Chic Leg Forum. 1989; 8 (Accessed April 24, 2020): 139-168
- Triple jeopardy and beyond: multiple minority stress and resilience among black lesbians.J Lesbian Stud. 2003; 7: 87-108https://doi.org/10.1300/J155v07n04_06
- Racial health disparities in a cohort of 5,135 transgender veterans.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2014; 1: 257-266https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-014-0032-4
- Disparities of HIV risk and PrEP use among transgender women of color in South Florida.J Natl Med Assoc. 2019; 111: 625-632https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnma.2019.08.001
- HIV prevalence, substance use, and sexual risk behaviors among transgender women recruited through outreach.AIDS Behav. 2014; 18: 1359-1367https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-013-0657-z
- Association between gender minority status and self-reported physical and mental health in the United States.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1210-1212https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.1460
- Demographic characteristics and health status of transgender adults in select U.S. regions: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2014.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 582-589https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303648
- Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System on health-related quality of life among U.S. transgender adults, 2014-2017.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1141-1144https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.7931
About the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/about/index.htm. Updated May 16, 2014. Accessed November 25, 2019.
- A two-question method for assessing gender categories in the social and medical sciences.J Sex Res. 2013; 50: 767-776https://doi.org/10.1080/00224499.2012.690110
- Estimating HIV prevalence and risk behaviors of transgender persons in the United States: a systematic review.AIDS Behav. 2008; 12: 1-17https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-007-9299-3
HHS. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Division of Adult and Community Health. Measuring healthy days: population assessment of health-related quality of life. Atlanta, GA: HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Adult and Community Health. https://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/pdfs/mhd.pdf. Published November 2000. Accessed April 24, 2020.
- Minority Stress and Lesbian Women.Lexington Books, Lexington, MA1981
- Sexual minority stress theory: remembering and honoring the work of Virginia Brooks.LGBT Health. 2020; 7: 124-127https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.20190223
- Considerations on sampling in transgender health disparities research.LGBT Health. 2019; 6: 267-270https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2019.0069
Cicero EC, Reisner SL, Merwin EI, Humphreys JC, Silva SG. Application of Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System sampling weights to transgender health measurement.Nurs Res. In press. Online February 20, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0000000000000428.
- Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence.Psychol Bull. 2003; 129: 674-697https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.129.5.674
- Minority stress factors associated with depression and anxiety among transgender and gender-nonconforming youth.J Adolesc Health. 2019; 64: 467-471https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2018.07.006
- Overlooked, misunderstood and at-risk: exploring the lives and HIV risk of ethnic minority male-to-female transgender youth.J Adolesc Health. 2006; 38: 230-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2005.03.023
- On the margins of marginalized: transgender homelessness and survival sex.Affilia. 2017; 32: 92-103https://doi.org/10.1177/0886109916651904