Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Health care use, health behaviors, and medical conditions among individuals in same-sex and opposite-sex partnerships: a cross-sectional observational analysis of the Medical Expenditures Panel Survey (MEPS), 2003-2011.Med Care. 2016; 54: 547-554
- A population-based study of cardiovascular disease risk in sexual-minority women.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 1845-1850
- Sexual orientation disparities in physical health: age and gender effects in a population-based study.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2016; 51: 289-301
- Cancer and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) populations.CA Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 384-400
- The American Cancer Society's approach to addressing the cancer burden in the LGBT community.LGBT Health. 2016; 3: 15-18
- Mental health characteristics of sexual minority veterans.J Homosex. 2013; 60: 419-435
- The association between sexual orientation, susceptibility to social messages and disordered eating in men.Appetite. 2016; 99: 25-33
- Physician awareness of sexual orientation and preventive health recommendations to men who have sex with men.Sex Transm Dis. 2011; 38: 63-67
- Sexual orientation and all-cause mortality among U.S. adults aged 18 to 59 years, 2001-2011.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 918-920
- Sexual victimization, health status, and VA healthcare utilization among lesbian and bisexual OEF/OIF veterans.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: S604-S608
- Communication between VA providers and sexual and gender minority veterans: a pilot study.Psychol Serv. 2014; 11: 235-242
- Veterans administration health care utilization among sexual minority veterans.Psychol Serv. 2013; 10: 223-232
- Perceived stigma, discrimination, and disclosure of sexual orientation among a sample of lesbian veterans receiving care in the Department of Veterans Affairs.LGBT Health. 2015; 2: 147-153
Collecting sexual orientation and gender identity information: importance of the collection and use of these data. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/clinicians/transforming-health/health-care-providers/collecting-sexual-orientation.html. Accessed April 1, 2020.
- Planning and implementing sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in electronic health records.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019; 26: 66-70
- The Fenway Institute release new tools to help healthcare organizations collect sexual orientation and gender identity data to improve quality of care and reduce LGBT health disparities.Fenway Health, Boston, MA2019https://fenwayhealth.org/the-fenway-institute-released-new-tools-to-help-healthcare-organizations-collect-sexual-orientation-and-gender-identity-data-to-improve-quality-of-care-and-reduce-lgbt-health-disparities/(Published June 25Accessed March 9, 2020)
- Required sexual orientation and gender identity reporting by U.S. health centers: first-year data.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1111-1118
- Introducing sexual orientation and gender identity into the electronic health record: one academic health center's experience.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 154-160
Patient Care Services. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.http://www.patientcare.va.gov/LGBT/LGBT_Veteran_Training.asp. Updated February 6, 2020. Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Maximizing clinical cohort size using free text queries.Comput Biol Med. 2015; 60: 1-7
- Using clinician text notes in electronic medical record data to validate transgender-related diagnosis codes.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2018; 25: 905-908
- Classifying the indication for colonoscopy procedures: a comparison of NLP approaches in a diverse national healthcare system.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015; 216: 614-618
- Healthcare costs and resource utilization of patients with binge-eating disorder and eating disorder not otherwise specified in the Department of Veterans Affairs.Int J Eat Disord. 2015; 48: 1082-1091
Gundlapalli AV, Carter ME, Palmer M, et al. Using natural language processing on the free text of clinical documents to screen for evidence of homelessness among U.S. veterans. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2013;2013:537–546.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3900197/. Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Strategies for handling missing data in electronic health record derived data.EGEMS (Wash DC). 2013; 1: 1035
- Unlocking echocardiogram measurements for heart disease research through natural language processing.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017; 17: 151
- Insights from advanced analytics at the Veterans Health Administration.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1203-1211
- Nurse documentation of sexual orientation and gender identity in home healthcare: a text mining study.Comput Inform Nurs. 2019; 37: 213-221
Feller DJ, Zucker J, Don't Walk OB 4th, et al. Towards the inference of social and behavioral determinants of sexual health: development of a gold-standard corpus with semi-supervised learning. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2018;2018:422–429. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6371339/. Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Creating a queer ontology: the gender, sex, and sexual orientation (GSSO) ontology.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2019; 264: 208-212
- Using enriched samples for semi-automated vocabulary expansion to identify rare events in clinical text: sexual orientation as a use case.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2019; 264: 1532-1533
- Stability of sexual attractions across different timescales: the roles of bisexuality and gender.Arch Sex Behav. 2017; 46: 193-204
- Gay men and lesbians in the military: estimates from Census 2000.The Urban Institute, Washington, DC2004Published September 28Accessed March 10, 2020)
- Collecting Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data in Electronic Health Records: Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
- Evaluating the state of the art in coreference resolution for electronic medical records.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012; 19: 786-791
- Relationships among sexual identity, sexual attraction, and sexual behavior: results from a nationally representative probability sample of adults in the United States.Arch Sex Behav. 2019; 48: 1483-1493
- Patterns and predictors of disclosure of sexual orientation to healthcare providers among lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals.Sex Res Social Policy. 2013; 10: 35-42
- Collecting sexual orientation and gender identity information in the emergency department: the divide between patient and provider perspectives.Emerg Med J. 2019; 36: 136-141
- Open arms, conflicted hearts: nurse-practitioner's attitudes towards working with lesbian, gay and bisexual patients.J Clin Nurs. 2016; 25: 3716-3727
The Joint Commission. Advancing effective communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community: a field guide. Oak Brook, IL: The Joint Commission; 2011.https://www.jointcommission.org/-/media/deprecated-unorganized/imported-assets/tjc/system-folders/topics-library/lgbtfieldguidepdf.pdf?db=web&hash=224B46C31193399359B8113698971F26. Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Did I tell you that? Ethical issues related to using computational methods to discover non-disclosed patient characteristics.J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2016; 11: 214-219