Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Quickfacts United States. U.S. Census Bureau.http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045218. Accessed September 14, 2019.
- Prescription opioid use, misuse, and use disorders in U.S. adults: 2015 National Survey on drug use and health.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 293-301
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230
Opioid overdose crisis. NIH, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Advancing Addiction Science.http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-overdose-crisis#two. Accessed July 31, 2019.
What is the U.S. opioid epidemic?HHS.http://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/index.html. Accessed July 31, 2019.
- Mood and anxiety disorders and their association with non-medical prescription opioid use and prescription opioid-use disorder: longitudinal evidence from the National Epidemiologic Study on Alcohol and Related Conditions.Psychol Med. 2012; 42: 1261-1272
- Co-occurring prescription opioid use problems and posttraumatic stress disorder symptom severity.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2014; 40: 304-311
- Frequency of prescription opioid misuse and suicidal ideation, planning, and attempts.J Psychiatr Res. 2017; 92: 1-7
- Results from the 2017 National survey on drug use and health: detailed tables: prevalence estimates, standard errors, P values, and sample sizes.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Rockville, MD2018https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUHDetailedTabs2017/NSDUHDetailedTabs2017.pdfDate accessed: September 4, 2019
- 2017 National survey on drug use and health: public use file codebook.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Rockville, MD2018http://samhda.s3-us-gov-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/field-uploads-protected/studies/NSDUH-2017/NSDUH-2017-datasets/NSDUH-2017-DS0001/NSDUH-2017-DS0001-info/NSDUH-2017-DS0001-info-codebook.pdfDate accessed: September 10, 2019
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV.4th ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1994
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general population.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 184-189
- Mechanisms of action and persistent neuroplasticity by drugs of abuse.Pharmacol Rev. 2015; 67: 872-1004
- Drug-related falls in older patients: implicated drugs, consequences, and possible prevention strategies.Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2013; 4: 147-154
- Substance abuse and misuse in older adults.Aging Well. 2008; 3 (Accessed August 5, 2019): 20
- Opioid complications and side effects.Pain Physician. 2008; 11 (Accessed Accessed August 5, 2019): S105-S120
- Mechanisms of fatal opioid overdose.Addiction. 1999; 94: 961-972
- Initial opioid prescriptions among U.S. commercially insured patients, 2012-2017.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1043-1052
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain–United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645