Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
2015–2020 dietary guidelines for Americans 8th edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Published 2015. Accessed December 12, 2019.
- Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among U.S. adults, 2011‒2014.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db270.pdf. Accessed August 19, 2020): 1-8
- Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among U.S. youth, 2011‒2014.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db271.pdf. Accessed August 19, 2020): 1-8
- The negative impact of sugar-sweetened beverages on children's health: an update of the literature.BMC Obes. 2018; 5: 6
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes: epidemiologic evidence.Physiol Behav. 2010; 100: 47-54
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk.Circulation. 2010; 121: 1356-1364
WHO. Guideline: sugars intake for adults and children.https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/149782/9789241549028_eng.pdf;jsessionid=B2DBEBDB0A19B3A00515EDE9A20146E5?sequence=1. Published March 2015. Accessed December 12, 2019.
- Health warning messages on tobacco products: a review.Tob Control. 2011; 20: 327-337
- The impact of strengthening cigarette pack warnings: systematic review of longitudinal observational studies.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 164: 118-129
American Heart Association. Warning labels on sugary drinks: AHA policy position and issue messaging.https://www.heart.org/-/media/files/about-us/policy-research/prevention-nutrition/warning-labels-on-sugary-drinks-ucm_482397.pdf?la=en&hash=63E7C377A3F1E5BB1A2CF37A691CCEF034953F1E. Published 2017. Accessed December 12, 2019.
SB-1000 Public health: sugar-sweetened beverages: safety warnings. California Legislative Information.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB1000. Published February 13, 2014. Accessed December 12, 2019.
- Growing momentum for sugar-sweetened beverage campaigns and policies: costs and considerations.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 835-838
SB347 Sugar-sweetened beverages: safety warnings. California Legislative Information.http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB347. Published June 12, 2019. Accessed December 12, 2019.
HB 2798-2015-16 Concerning mitigation of the adverse impacts of sugar-sweetened beverages. Washington State Legislature.https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=2798&Year=2016#documentSection. Published March 10, 2016. Accessed December 12, 2019.
HB1209 Relating to health. Hawaii State Legislature.https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/Archives/measure_indiv_Archives.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=1209&year=2017. Published January 30, 2017. Accessed December 12, 2019.
H.433 An act relating to health and safety warnings on sugar-sweetened beverages. Vermont General Assembly.https://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2018/H.433. Published February 23, 2017. Accessed December 12, 2019.
Senate Bill S162. The New York State Senate.https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/S162. Published January 4, 2017. Accessed December 12, 2019.
Legislation introduced at roll call. City of San Francisco.https://sfbos.org/sites/default/files/FileCenter/Documents/51814-LI031015.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed December 12, 2019.
Gonzales R. Federal appeals court blocks San Francisco law on ad warnings for sugary drinks. Washington, DC: National Public Radio.https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/690541166/federal-appeals-court-blocks-san-francisco-law-on-ad-warnings-for-sugary-drinks. Published January 31, 2019. Accessed December 12, 2019.
Smith E. Chile battles obesity with stop signs on packaged foods. Washington, DC: National Public Radio.https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/12/486898630/chile-battles-obesity-with-stop-signs-on-packaged-foods. Published August 12, 2016. Accessed December 12, 2019.
- An evaluation of Chile's Law of Food Labeling and Advertising on sugar-sweetened beverage purchases from 2015 to 2017: a before-and-after study.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003015
- Development of the Chilean front-of-package food warning label.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 906
- Mexico votes to strengthen food and beverage warning labels.William Reed, Crawley, United KingdomPublished October 28, 2019https://www.foodnavigator-latam.com/Article/2019/10/28/Mexico-votes-to-strengthen-food-and-beverage-warning-labels(Accessed December 12, 2019)
- Sugar-sweetened beverage warning labels: lessons learned from the tobacco industry.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2016; 44 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5297396/. Accessed August 19, 2020): 633-640
Mukkamala B.Strategies to reduce the consumption of beverages with added sweeteners. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/ama-assn.org/files/corp/media-browser/public/about-ama/councils/Council%20Reports/council-on-science-public-health/a17-csaph-3.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed December 12, 2019.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Taxes and front-of-package labels improve the healthiness of beverage and snack purchases: a randomized experimental marketplace.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2019; 16: 46
- How should sugar-sweetened beverage health warnings be designed? A randomized experiment.Prev Med. 2019; 121: 158-166
- Do consumers think front-of-package “high in” warnings are harsh or reduce their control? A test of food industry concerns.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 1687-1691
- Effects of plain packaging, warning labels, and taxes on young people's predicted sugar-sweetened beverage preferences: an experimental study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 95
- Facts up front versus traffic light food labels: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 134-141
- Effects of energy-content labels and motivational posters on sales of sugar-sweetened beverages: stimulating sales of diet drinks among adults study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1866-1869
- It is not all about information! Sensory experience overrides the impact of nutrition information on consumers’ choice of sugar-reduced drinks.Food Quality and Preference. 2019; 74: 1-9
- Reducing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption by providing caloric information: how black adolescents alter their purchases and whether the effects persist.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 2417-2424
- A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 527-533
- Sugar consumption from beverages and the potential effects of a text-based information label.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2011; 35: 88-89
- Impact of front-of-pack nutrition information and label design on children's choice of two snack foods: comparison of warnings and the traffic-light system.Appetite. 2017; 116: 139-146
- Simulating the impact of sugar-sweetened beverage warning labels in three cities.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 197-204
- Effects of interpretive nutrition labels on consumer food purchases: the Starlight randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2017; 105: 695-704
- Promoting the purchase of low-calorie foods from school vending machines: a cluster-randomized controlled study.J Sch Health. 2012; 82: 115-122
- The effect of graphic warnings on sugary-drink purchasing.Psychol Sci. 2018; 29: 1321-1333
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Quantifying publication bias in meta-analysis.Biometrics. 2018; 74: 785-794
- Chronic noise exposure and adiposity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 403-411
- The impact of price and nutrition labelling on sugary drink purchases: results from an experimental marketplace study.Appetite. 2018; 121: 129-137
- The effect of sugar-sweetened beverage front-of-pack labels on drink selection, health knowledge and awareness: an online randomised controlled trial.Appetite. 2018; 128 (233‒241)
- Traffic-light labels and financial incentives to reduce sugar-sweetened beverage purchases by low-income Latino families: a randomized controlled trial.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 1426-1434
- Impact of warning labels on sugar-sweetened beverages on parental selection: an online experimental study.Prev Med Rep. 2018; 12: 259-267
- Health warning labels correct parents’ misperceptions about sugary drink options.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: e19-e27
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage warnings: a randomized trial of adolescents’ choices and beliefs.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 664-672
- Adolescents’ assessments of advertisements for unhealthy food: an example of warning labels for soft drinks.J Consum Policy. 2014; 37: 279-299
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage health warning labels on parents’ choices.Pediatrics. 2016; 137e20153185
- Graphic Canadian cigarette warning labels and adverse outcomes: evidence from Canadian smokers.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1442-1445
- Research-based guidelines for warning design and evaluation.Appl Ergon. 2002; 33: 219-230
- Text and graphic warnings on cigarette packages: findings from the international tobacco control four country study.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 202-209
- Do young adults perceive that cigarette graphic warnings provide new knowledge about the harms of smoking?.Ann Behav Med. 2015; 49: 594-604
- Negative affect, message reactance and perceived risk: how do pictorial cigarette pack warnings change quit intentions?.Tob Control. 2018; 27: e136-e142
- Influence of point-of-sale tobacco displays and graphic health warning signs on adults: evidence from a virtual store experimental study.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 888-895
- Sugar-sweetened beverage health warnings and purchases: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: 601-610