Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Evidence based physical activity for school-age youth.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 732-737
- Modifying effects of sex, age, and education on 22-year trajectory of leisure-time physical activity in a Canadian cohort.J Phys Act Health. 2007; 4: 153-166
- Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 40
- Physical activity and BMI in a nationally representative sample of children and adolescents.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2012; 51: 122-129
- Relations of moderate and vigorous physical activity to fitness and fatness in adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 81: 746-750
- Physical activity and body mass index among U.S. adolescents: youth Risk Behavior Survey, 1999.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 816-820
- Comparison of accelerometer measured levels of physical activity and sedentary time between obese and non-obese children and adolescents: a systematic review.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 106
- Moderate to vigorous physical activity and sedentary time and cardiometabolic risk factors in children and adolescents [published correction appears in JAMA. 2012;307(18):1915. Sardinha L [corrected to Sardinha, L B]; Anderssen, S A [corrected to Anderson, L B]].JAMA. 2012; 307: 704-712
- Physical activity intensity and cardiometabolic risk in youth.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012; 166: 1022-1029
- Exercise and BMI in overweight and obese children and adolescents: a systematic review and trial sequential meta-analysis.BioMed Res Int. 2015; 2015704539
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of school-based interventions to reduce body mass index.J Public Health (Oxf). 2012; 34: 360-369
- The effect of school-based physical activity interventions on body mass index: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2013; 68: 1263-1273
- Efficacy of exercise for treating overweight in children and adolescents: a systematic review.Int J Obes (Lond). 2006; 30: 1027-1040
- The physical activity guidelines for Americans.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2020-2028
- Results from the United States of America's 2016 report card on physical activity for children and youth.J Phys Act Health. 2016; 13: S307-S313
HHS. Physical activity guidelines for Americans, 2nd edition. Washington, DC: HHS; 2018. https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/pdf/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed August 20, 2019.
- Physical activity from childhood to adulthood: a 21-year tracking study.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 28: 267-273
- Physical activity in the United States measured by accelerometer.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 181-188
- Adolescent physical activity participation and motivational determinants across gender, age, and race.J Phys Act Health. 2011; 8: 1074-1083
Institute of Medicine.Educating the Student Body: Taking Physical Activity and Physical Education to School. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2013.
- Association of physical activity with income, race/ethnicity, and sex among adolescents and young adults in the United States: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007-2016.JAMA Pediatr. 2018; 172: 732-740
- Gender differences in physiologic markers and health behaviors associated with childhood obesity.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 468-474
- Gender-related differences in cardiometabolic risk factors and lifestyle behaviors in treatment-seeking adolescents with severe obesity.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 61
- Objective vs. self-reported physical activity and sedentary time: effects of measurement method on relationships with risk biomarkers.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e36345
- Self-reported and objectively measured activity related to biomarkers using NHANES [published correction appears in Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014;46(11):2192–2193].Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 815-821
- Correlates of subjectively and objectively measured physical activity in young adolescents.J Sport Health Sci. 2015; 4: 222-227
- Physical activity in U.S.: adults compliance with the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 454-461
- Physician examination procedures manual.National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD2003Published JanuaryAccessed July 10, 2020)
SAS programs for analyzing NHANES 2003–2004 accelerometer data. National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control & Population Sciences. https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/nhanes_pam/. Updated July 24, 2020. Accessed September 10, 2018.
2003‒2004 Data documentation, codebook, and frequencies. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/2003-2004/PAXRAW_C.htm. Updated December 2007. Accessed September 10, 2019.
- Epoch length and its effect on physical activity intensity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 928-934
- Accelerometer data reduction in adolescents: effects on sample retention and bias.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 140
- Validation of the Global Physical Activity Questionnaire for self-administration in a European context.BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2017; 3e000206
- Global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ): nine country reliability and validity study.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: 790-804
Global physical activity surveillance. WHO. http://www.who.int/ncds/surveillance/steps/GPAQ/en/. Accessed 2019.
- Validity of the global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ) in assessing levels and change in moderate-vigorous physical activity and sedentary behaviour.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1255
About child and teen BMI. Centers for Disease Control and Preventionhttps://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html. Updated November 6, 2015. Accessed February 2, 2019.
- National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Cardiovascular fitness procedures manual.National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD2004Published JanuaryAccessed July 10, 2020)
- The association of race, socioeconomic status, and health insurance status with the prevalence of overweight among children and adolescents.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 2105-2110
- Adolescent and young adult recreational, occupational, and transportation activity: activity recommendation and weight status relationships.J Adolesc Health. 2019; 65: 147-154
- Basic facts about low-income children.National Center for Children in Poverty, New York, NY2017Published JanuaryAccessed July 10, 2020)
- Treatment of pediatric obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 4600-4605
- Effect of school-based physical activity interventions on body mass index in children: a meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2009; 180: 719-726
- Achieving cardiovascular health in young adulthood: which adolescent factors matter?.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 58: 119-121
- Predictability of childhood adiposity and insulin for developing insulin resistance syndrome (syndrome X) in young adulthood: the Bogalusa Heart Study.Diabetes. 2002; 51: 204-209
- Fitness and body mass index during adolescence and disability later in life: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 170: 230-239
- Implications of small reductions in diastolic blood pressure for primary prevention.Arch Intern Med. 1995; 155: 701-709
- BMI and recommended levels of physical activity in school children.BMC Public Health. 2017; 17: 595
- Dose-response relation between physical activity and blood pressure in youth.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 1007-1012
- Overweight, physical activity and high blood pressure in children: a review of the literature.Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2007; 3: 139-149
- Physical activity intensity, bout-duration, and cardiometabolic risk markers in children and adolescents [published correction appears in Int J Obes (Lond). 2019;43(11):2346].Int J Obes (Lond). 2018; 42: 1639-1650
- Physical activity and self-reported health status among adolescents: a cross-sectional population-based study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3e002644
- Body mass index and timing of pubertal initiation in boys.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010; 164: 139-144
- Pubertal onset in boys and girls is influenced by pubertal timing of both parents.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 2667-2674
- Gender differences in food preferences of school-aged children and adolescents.J Sch Health. 2009; 79: 532-540
- Reactivity to accelerometer measurement of children and adolescents.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014; 46: 1140-1146
- Behavioral economic insights for pediatric obesity: suggestions for translating the guidelines for our patients.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 319-320