Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: a report of the Surgeon General.HHS, CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GAPublished 2012 (https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/preventing-youth-tobacco-use-exec-summary.pdf. Accessed August 5, 2020)
- Vital signs: tobacco product use among middle and high school students - United States, 2011-2018.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 157-164
- Trends in adolescent vaping, 2017-2019.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1490-1491
FDA statement: statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on new steps to address epidemic of youth e-cigarette use. U.S. Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/statement-fda-commissioner-scott-gottlieb-md-new-steps-address-epidemic-youth-e-cigarette-use. Updated September 12, 2018. Accessed August 5, 2020.
- Adolescents’ use of “pod mod” e-cigarettes - urgent concerns.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1099-1102
Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS): average number of hours in the school day and average number of days in the school year for public schools, by state: 2007–08. National Center for Educational Statistics.https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/sass/tables/sass0708_035_s1s.asp. Updated June 2010. Accessed December 31, 2019.
- Vaping moves from the bathroom to the classroom.Wall Street Journal. August 20, 2019;https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaping-moves-from-the-bathroom-to-the-classroom-11566293404?mod=ig_vaping1007Date accessed: August 5, 2020
- JUUL and other stealth vaporisers: hiding the habit from parents and teachers.Tob Control. 2019; 28: 610-616
- Public Health Consequences of E-Cigarettes.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2018
- Electronic cigarettes and future marijuana use: a longitudinal study.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20173787
- Neurobiology of substance use in adolescents and potential therapeutic effects of exercise for prevention and treatment of substance use disorders.Birth Defects Res. 2017; 109: 1711-1729
National Youth Tobacco Survey (NYTS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/nyts/. Updated December 23, 2019. Accessed August 5, 2020.
Historical NYTS data and documentation: 2019 NYTS Methodology Report. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health.https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/nyts/data/index.html. Updated December 23, 2019. Accessed August 17, 2020.
- Feasibility of administering an electronic version of the National Youth Tobacco Survey in a classroom setting.Prev Chronic Dis. 2020; 17 (32105587): E20
- Exposure to advertisements and susceptibility to electronic cigarette use among youth.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 59: 620-626
- Tobacco product use and associated factors among middle and high school students – United States, 2019.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2019; 68: 1-22
- Validation of susceptibility as a predictor of which adolescents take up smoking in the United States.Health Psychol. 1996; 15: 355-361
- Peers, schools, and adolescent cigarette smoking.J Adolesc Health. 2001; 29: 22-30
- The effects of the school environment on student health: a systematic review of multi-level studies.Health Place. 2013; 21: 180-191
- Exposure to secondhand aerosol from electronic cigarettes among U.S. youth from 2015 to 2018.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 298-300
- Secondhand exposure to electronic cigarette aerosol among U.S. youths.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171: 490-492
- How are schools responding to JUUL and the youth e-cigarette epidemic?.Truth Initiative. January 18, 2019;https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/emerging-tobacco-products/how-are-schools-responding-juul-and-youth-e-cigaretteDate accessed: February 28, 2020
- JUUL in school: teacher and administrator awareness and policies of e-cigarettes and JUUL in U.S. middle and high schools.Health Promot Pract. 2020; 21: 20-24
Williams R. The rise of disposable JUUL-type e-cigarette devices. Tob Control. In press. Online December 5, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2019-055379.
- Social norms towards smoking and vaping and associations with product use among youth in England, Canada, and the U.S.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 205107635
- Prevalence and correlates of adolescents’ e-cigarette use frequency and dependence.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 188: 109-112
- Schools influence adolescent e-cigarette use, but when? Examining the interdependent association between school context and teen vaping over time.J Youth Adolesc. 2019; 48: 1899-1911
- Association between school-level prevalence of electronic cigarette use and student-level use behaviors, pre-use intentions, and risk perceptions: evidence from the 2014 U.S. National Youth Tobacco Survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2018; 20: 231-238
- Ecological systems theory.in: Vasta R Six Theories of Child Development: Revised Formulations and Current Issues. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London, United Kingdom1992: 187-249
- Effect of the age at which smoking begins on frequency of smoking in adulthood.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 968-969
- Attitude and peer influences on adolescent substance use: the moderating effect of age, sex, and substance.J Drug Educ. 2003; 33: 1-23
- A middle school program to prevent e-cigarette use: a pilot study of “CATCH My Breath”.Public Health Rep. 2020; 135: 220-229
FDA launches new campaign: “The Real Cost” youth e-cigarette prevention campaign. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/real-cost-campaign/fda-launches-new-campaign-real-cost-youth-e-cigarette-prevention-campaign. Updated May 1, 2020. Accessed August 5, 2020.
Tobacco prevention toolkit: E-cigarettes and vape pens. Unit 1 – where did e-cigarettes and vape pens come from? Stanford Medicine. https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs.html. Updated October 16, 2019. Accessed August 5, 2020.
- A systematic review of school-based smoking prevention trials with long-term follow-up.J Adolesc Health. 2005; 36: 162-169
- Evaluating the public health impact of health promotion interventions: the RE-AIM framework.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1322-1327
- Assessment of factors affecting the validity of self-reported health-risk behavior among adolescents: evidence from the scientific literature.J Adolesc Health. 2003; 33: 436-457
- Importance of survey design for studying the epidemiology of emerging tobacco product use among youth.Am J Epidemiol. 2017; 186: 405-410
- Querying about the use of specific e-cigarette devices may enhance accurate measurement of e-cigarette prevalence rates among high school students.Nicotine Tob Res. 2020; 22: 833-837