Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Proceedings of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD); 1994 Sept 5–13; Cairo, Egypt: United Nations Population Fund. https://www.unfpa.org/events/international-conference-population-and-development-icpd. Accessed February 26, 2020.
- Women's status and child well-being: a state-level analysis.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 63: 2999-3012
- The status of women's reproductive rights and adverse birth outcomes.Womens Health Issues. 2017; 27: 121-128
Nash E, Gold RB, Mohammed L, Ansari-Thomas Z, Cappello O. Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: state policy trends at midyear, 2018. New York, NY: Guttmacher Institute.https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2018/07/laws-affecting-reproductive-health-and-rights-state-policy-trends-midyear-2018. Published July 31, 2018. Accessed November 26, 2019.
- Immigrant women's access to sexual and reproductive health coverage and care in the United States.Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2018; 2018 (Accessed February 26, 2020): 1-10
- The impact of abstinence and comprehensive sex and STD/HIV education programs on adolescent sexual behavior.Sex Res Soc Policy. 2008; 5: 18
- Contraceptive policies affect post-abortion provision of long-acting reversible contraception.Contraception. 2011; 83: 41-47
- Burden of unintended pregnancy in the United States: potential savings with increased use of long-acting reversible contraception.Contraception. 2013; 87: 154-161
- How are restrictive abortion statutes associated with unintended teen birth?.J Adolesc Health. 2010; 47: 160-167
- Contraceptive experiences among adolescents who experience unintended birth.Contraception. 2011; 84: 578-584
- Pregnancy intention and pregnancy outcome: systematic review and meta-analysis.Matern Child Health J. 2017; 21: 670-704
- Unintended pregnancy and low birthweight in Ecuador.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 808-810
- Intention to become pregnant and low birth weight and preterm birth: a systematic review.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 205-216
- Unintended pregnancy and preterm birth.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2000; 14: 309-313
- The effect of Medicaid abortion funding restrictions on abortions, pregnancies and births.J Health Econ. 1996; 15: 555-578
- Parental involvement laws and fertility behavior.J Health Econ. 2003; 22: 861-878
- Women's reproductive choices: the impact of Medicaid funding restrictions.Fam Plann Perspect. 1997; 29: 228-233
- Changes in abortions and births and the Texas parental notification law.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1031-1038
- Adverse birth outcomes in Colorado: assessing the impact of a statewide initiative to prevent unintended pregnancy.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e66
- The prevalence of unplanned pregnancy ending in birth, associated factors, and health outcomes.Hum Reprod. 2016; 31: 2821-2833
- Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the states.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 48: 21-32
- Gender equity and socioeconomic inequality: a framework for the patterning of women's health.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 54: 649-661
- Gender equality as a means to improve maternal and child health in Africa.Health Care Women Int. 2015; 36: 57-69
- Conceptualizing pathways linking women's empowerment and prematurity in developing countries.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 338
- State-level women's status and psychiatric disorders among U.S. women.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011; 46: 1161-1171
- Women's status and depressive symptoms: a multilevel analysis.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 60: 49-60
- Is the risk of low birth weight or preterm labor greater when maternal stress is experienced during pregnancy? A systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0200594
- Racial discrimination and adverse birth outcomes: an integrative review.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2016; 61: 707-720
Reproductive health: infant mortality. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/infantmortality.htm. Updated March 27, 2019. Accessed November 26, 2019.
- Ethnic and racial disparities in the risk of preterm birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Perinatol. 2013; 30: 433-450
- State-specific trends in U.S. live births to women born outside the 50 states and the District of Columbia–United States, 1990 and 2000 [published correction appears in MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51(49):1127.].MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51 (Accessed Accessed November 26, 2019): 1091-1095
- The “Latina epidemiologic paradox”: contrasting patterns of adverse birth outcomes in U.S.-born and foreign-born Latinas.Womens Health Issues. 2012; 22: e501-e507
- The differential effect of foreign-born status on low birth weight by race/ethnicity and education.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e20-e30
- The “Hispanic paradox”: an investigation of racial disparity in pregnancy outcomes at a tertiary care medical center.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 197 (197.e1–197.e9.)
- Temporal trends, patterns, and predictors of preterm birth in California from 2007 to 2016, based on the obstetric estimate of gestational age.Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol. 2018; 4: 25
- Recent trends, risk factors, and disparities in low birth weight in California, 2005-2014: a retrospective study.Matern Health Neonatol Perinatol. 2018; 4: 15
- Deconstructing a disparity: explaining excess preterm birth among U.S.-born Black women.Ann Epidemiol. 2018; 28: 225-230
- Adverse birth outcomes in African American women: the social context of persistent reproductive disadvantage.Soc Work Public Health. 2011; 26: 3-16
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463
- Structural racism and health inequities: old issues, new directions.Du Bois Rev. 2011; 8: 115-132
- Racism and disparities in women's use of the Depo-Provera injection in the contemporary USA.Crit Sociol (Eugene). 2011; 37: 673-688
- Celebration meets caution: LARC's boons, potential busts, and the benefits of a reproductive justice approach.Contraception. 2014; 89: 237-241
- Women or LARC first? Reproductive autonomy and the promotion of long-acting reversible contraceptive methods.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2014; 46: 171-175
- Under (implicit) pressure: young Black and Latina women's perceptions of contraceptive care.Contraception. 2017; 96: 221-226
- Separate and unequal: structural racism and infant mortality in the U.S.Health Place. 2017; 45: 140-144
- Joint effects of structural racism and income inequality on small-for-gestational-age birth.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1681-1688
Nash E, Mohammed L, Cappello O, Naide S. State Policy Trends 2019: a wave of abortion bans, but some states are fighting back. New York, NY: Guttmacher Institute.https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2019/12/state-policy-trends-2019-wave-abortion-bans-some-states-are-fighting-back. Published December 10, 2019. Accessed May 22, 2020.
- Cumulative risk and child development.Psychol Bull. 2013; 139: 1342-1396
- Included, but deportable: a new public health approach to policies that criminalize and integrate immigrants.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1171-1176
- Restrictive sub-federal immigration policy climates and very preterm birth risk among U.S.-born and foreign-born Hispanic mothers in the United States, 2005-2016.Health Place. 2019; 60102209
Hess C, Milli J, Hayes J, et al. The status of women in the states: 2015. Washington, DC: Institute for Women's Policy Research.http://statusofwomendata.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Status-of-Women-in-the-States-2015-Full-National-Report.pdf. Published February, 2015. Accessed August 4, 2020.
State laws and policies. Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/laws-policies. Updated September 1, 2019. Accessed December 11, 2019.
- National Immigration Law Center.2018https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/healthcoveragemaps/(Updated August 13)Date accessed: March 9, 2020
National map of local entanglement with ICE. Immigrant Legal Resource Center. https://www.ilrc.org/local-enforcement-map. Updated November 13, 2019. Accessed March 9, 2020.
- Regulating the reproduction and mothering of poor women: the controlling image of the welfare mother in television news coverage of welfare reform.J Poverty. 2010; 14: 76-96
- Sterilized in the name of public health: race, immigration, and reproductive control in modern California.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 1128-1138
Abortion bans in cases of sex or race selection or genetic anomaly. Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/abortion-bans-cases-sex-or-race-selection-or-genetic-anomaly. Updated March 3, 2016. Accessed December 11, 2019.
- Restrictive immigration law and birth outcomes of immigrant women.Am J Epidemiol. 2019; 188: 24-33
- Area racism and birth outcomes among Blacks in the United States.Soc Sci Med. 2018; 199: 49-55
- A new threat to immigrants’ health - the public-charge rule.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 901-903
- Closing the Black–White gap in birth outcomes: a life-course approach.Ethn Dis. 2010; 20 (S2–62)
- Perinatal outcomes among Asian American and Pacific Islander women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 834-838