Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
McKnight DH, Chervany N. While trust is cool and collected, distrust is fiery and frenzied: a model of distrust concepts. In: Proceeding of the seventh Americas Conference on Information Systems; 2001 August 3–5; Boston, MA. 2001:171. https://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2001/171. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- Trust and distrust: new relationships and realities.Acad Manag Rev. 1998; 23: 438-458
- Trust, medical care, and racial and ethnic minorities.in: Satcher D Pamies R Multicultural Medicine and Health Disparities. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2006: 437
- Trust in physicians and medical institutions: what is it, can it be measured, and does it matter?.Milbank Q. 2001; 79 (.): 613-639
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2003
- Towards a more inclusive and dynamic understanding of medical mistrust informed by science.Behav Med. 2019; 45: 79-85
- Race and sexual identity: perceptions about medical culture and healthcare among Black men who have sex with men.J Natl Med Assoc. 2004; 96: 97-107
- Medical mistrust among social network members may contribute to antiretroviral treatment nonadherence in African Americans living with HIV.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 164: 133-140
- Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans From Colonial Times to the Present.Doubleday, New York, NY2007
- Ethical failures and history lessons: the U.S. Public Health Service research studies in Tuskegee and Guatemala.Public Health Rev. 2012; 34: 13
- “Normal exposure” and inoculation syphilis: a PHS “Tuskegee” doctor in Guatemala, 1946-1948.J Policy Hist. 2011; 23: 6-28
- U.S. Public Health Service STD experiments in Guatemala (1946-1948) and their aftermath.Ethics Hum Res. 2019; 41: 29-34
Plohl N, Musil B. Modeling compliance with COVID-19 prevention guidelines: the critical role of trust in science. Psychol Health Med. In press. Online June 1, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2020.1772988.
- Transparency and trust during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 909-912
- The effect of segregated cities on ethnoracial minority healthcare system distrust.City Commun. 2019; 18: 321-343
Griffith DM, Jaeger EC, Bergner EM, Stallings S, Wilkins CH. Determinants of trustworthiness to conduct medical research: findings from focus groups conducted with racially and ethnically diverse adults. J Gen Intern Med. In press. Online June 3, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-05868-1.
- Black Rage.Basic Books, New York, NY1968
- Trust and distrust in organizations: emerging perspectives, enduring questions.Annu Rev Psychol. 1999; 50: 569-598
- A systematic review of medical mistrust measures.Patient Educ Couns. 2018; 101: 1786-1794
- “You don't trust a government vaccine”: narratives of institutional trust and influenza vaccination among African American and White adults.Soc Sci Med. 2019; 221: 87-94
- The Group-Based Medical Mistrust Scale: psychometric properties and association with breast cancer screening.Prev Med. 2004; 38: 209-218
- A validation of the group-based medical mistrust scale in formerly incarcerated Black and Latino men.Am J Mens Health. 2018; 12: 844-850
- The study of untreated syphilis in the Negro male.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 5-8
- Under the shadow of Tuskegee: African Americans and health care.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1773-1778
- The Tuskegee Syphilis Study: The Real Story and Beyond.NewSouth Books, 1998
- Attitudes about racism, medical mistrust, and satisfaction with care among African American and white cardiac patients.Med Care Res Rev. 2000; 57: 146-161
- The legacy of Tuskegee and trust in medical care: is Tuskegee responsible for race differences in mistrust of medical care?.J Natl Med Assoc. 2005; 97: 951-956
- First, do no harm: the U.S. sexually transmitted disease experiments in Guatemala.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 2122-2126
- Seeking justice for victims of the Guatemalan sexually transmitted disease experiments 1946–1948.Columbia J Gend Law. 2020; 39: 54-90
- African-American participation in clinical trials: situating trust and trustworthiness.J Natl Med Assoc. 2001; 93: 14S-17S
- Whose responsibility is it to dismantle medical mistrust? Future directions for researchers and health care providers.Behav Med. 2019; 45: 188-196
- Too much medicine: not enough trust?.J Med Ethics. 2019; 45: 31-35
- Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland.Basic Books, New York, NY2019
- Public trust in physicians—U.S. medicine in international perspective.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1570-1572
- Gallup.2019https://news.gallup.com/poll/1597/confidence-institutions.aspxDate accessed: July 26, 2019