Pain Management and the Opioid Epidemic: Balancing Societal and Individual Benefits and Risks of Prescription Opioid Use.
- Vijay A
- Ross JS
- Shah ND
- Jeffery MM
- Dhruva SS
FDA requires strong warnings for opioid analgesics, prescription opioid cough products, and benzodiazepine labeling related to serious risks and death from combined use.
Reduce risk of opioid overdose deaths by avoiding and reducing co-prescribing benzodiazepines.
- Zhang VS
- Olfson M
- King M
FDA in Brief: FDA requires new warnings for gabapentinoids about risk of respiratory depression.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Pain Management and the Opioid Epidemic: Balancing Societal and Individual Benefits and Risks of Prescription Opioid Use.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2017
- Medicare formulary coverage and restrictions for opioid potentiators from 2013 to 2017.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 518-520
- FDA requires strong warnings for opioid analgesics, prescription opioid cough products, and benzodiazepine labeling related to serious risks and death from combined use.U.S. Food & Drug Administration. August 31, 2016;https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm518697.htmDate accessed: October 2, 2020
- Reduce risk of opioid overdose deaths by avoiding and reducing co-prescribing benzodiazepines.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Baltimore, MDPublished July 1, 2019https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/SE19011.pdfDate accessed: August 15, 2020
- Opioid and benzodiazepine coprescribing in the United States before and after U.S. Food and Drug Administration boxed warning.JAMA Psychiatry. 2019; 76: 1208-1210
- FDA in Brief: FDA requires new warnings for gabapentinoids about risk of respiratory depression.U.S. Food & Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MDPublished December 19, 2019https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-brief/fda-brief-fda-requires-new-warnings-gabapentinoids-about-risk-respiratory-depressionDate accessed: June 8, 2020
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: NHANES 2013–2014. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics.https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/continuousnhanes/default.aspx?BeginYear=2013. Updated August 4, 2020. Accessed November 27, 2019.
- Trends in the concomitant prescribing of opioids and benzodiazepines, 2002-2014.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 151-160
- Coprescribing of benzodiazepines and opioids in older adults: rates, correlates, and national trends.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 1910-1915
- Trends in gabapentin prescribing in a commercially insured U.S. adult population, 2009-2016.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2020; 26: 246-252