Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2013-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1419-1427
- Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 85-92
- Prescription opioid duration of action and the risk of unintentional overdose among patients receiving opioid therapy.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 608-615
- Association between opioid prescribing patterns and opioid overdose-related deaths.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1315-1321
- Cohort study of the impact of high-dose opioid analgesics on overdose mortality [published correction appears in Pain Med. 2016;17(4):797–798].Pain Med. 2016; 17: 85-98
- Vital signs: demographic and substance use trends among heroin users - United States, 2002-2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 719-725
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: summary of national findings. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2014. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHresultsPDFWHTML2013/Web/NSDUHresults2013.pdf. Published September.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual surveillance report of drug-related risks and outcomes—United States, 2017. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/pubs/2017-cdc-drug-surveillance-report.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- U.S. emergency department visits for acute harms from prescription opioid use, 2016-2017.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 784-791
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Rockville, MD: Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018.pdf. Published 2019. Accessed March 1, 2020.
- The economic burden of prescription opioid overdose, abuse and dependence in the United States, 2013.Med Care. 2016; 54: 901-906
- Opioid crisis: no easy fix to its social and economic determinants.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 182-186
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain–United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
North Carolina Medical Board. 2016 North Carolina Medical Board annual report. Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Medical Board. https://www.ncmedboard.org/images/uploads/disciplinary_reports/2016_Annual_Report1.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed January 1, 2019
- Challenges with implementing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention opioid guideline: a consensus panel report.Pain Med. 2019; 20: 724-735
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.2019https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/s0424-advises-misapplication-guideline-prescribing-opioids.html(Updated June 5,)Date accessed: September 19, 2019
- Trends in opioid dosing among Washington State Medicaid patients before and after opioid dosing guideline implementation.J Pain. 2016; 17: 561-568
- The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 276-286
- Intractable or chronic pain: there is a difference.West J Med. 2000; 173: 306
Merskey H, Bogduk N. Classification of chronic pain. Descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms. Prepared by the International Association for the Study of Pain, Subcommittee on Taxonomy. Pain Suppl. 1986;3:S1–S226. https://s3.amazonaws.com/rdcms-iasp/files/production/public/Content/ContentFolders/Publications2/FreeBooks/Classification-of-Chronic-Pain.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- High-risk use by patients prescribed opioids for pain and its role in overdose deaths.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 796-801
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.2020https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/resources/data.html(Updated October 9,)Date accessed: October 21, 2020
- Opioid overdose rates and implementation of overdose education and nasal naloxone distribution in Massachusetts: interrupted time series analysis.BMJ. 2013; 346: f174
- The use of controls in interrupted time series studies of public health interventions.Int J Epidemiol. 2018; 47: 2082-2093
- Impact of Iowa's prescription monitoring program on opioid pain reliever prescribing patterns: an interrupted time series study 2003-2014 [published correction appears in Pain Med. 2019;20(9):1879].Pain Med. 2019; 20: 290-300
- Increased risk of opioid overdose death following cold weather: a case-crossover study.Epidemiology. 2019; 30: 637-641
- Relationship between nonmedical prescription-opioid use and heroin use.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 154-163
- Scientists rise up against statistical significance.Nature. 2019; 567: 305-307
- The ASA's statement on p-values: context, process, and purpose.J Am Stat Assoc. 2016; 70: 129-133
- State laws regulating prescribing of controlled substances: balancing the public health problems of chronic pain and prescription painkiller abuse and overdose.J Law Med Ethics. 2013; 41: 42-45
- Regulating opioid prescribing through prescription monitoring programs: balancing drug diversion and treatment of pain.Pain Med. 2004; 5: 309-324
- Physicians charged with opioid analgesic-prescribing offenses.Pain Med. 2008; 9: 737-747
- Achieving the right balance in oversight of physician opioid prescribing for pain: the role of state medical boards.J Law Med Ethics. 2003; 31: 21-40
- The pendulum swings for opioid prescribing.J Palliat Med. 2016; 19: 348
- Opioid medication discontinuation and risk of adverse opioid-related health care events.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2019; 103: 58-63
- Rethinking opioid dose tapering, prescription opioid dependence, and indications for buprenorphine [published correction appears in Ann Intern Med. 2019;171(9):684].Ann Intern Med. 2019; 171: 427-429
- No shortcuts to safer opioid prescribing.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 2285-2287
- Patient-centered reduction or discontinuation of long-term opioid analgesics: the HHS Guide for Clinicians.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1855-1856
- Opioid prescribing in the United States before and after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2016 opioid guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 367-375