Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain–United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
- Opioid prescribing for opioid-naive patients in emergency departments and other settings: characteristics of prescriptions and association with long-term use.Ann Emerg Med. 2018; 71: 326-336.e19
Manchikanti L, Abdi S, Atluri S, et al. American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing in chronic non-cancer pain: part I–evidence assessment. Pain Physician. 2012;15(3 suppl):S1–S65. https://www.painphysicianjournal.com/linkout?issn=&vol=15&page=S67. Accessed November 3, 2019.
- Opioid prescribing: a systematic review and critical appraisal of guidelines for chronic pain.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 38-47
- Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain.J Pain. 2009; 10: 113-130
- Executive summary: American Association of Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Medicine Practice Guideline—using clinical laboratory tests to monitor drug therapy in pain management patients.J Appl Lab Med. 2018; 2: 489-526
Owen GT, Burton AW, Schade CM, Passik S. Urine drug testing: current recommendations and best practices. Pain Physician. 2012;15(3 suppl):ES119–ES133. https://www.painphysicianjournal.com/linkout?issn=&vol=15&page=ES119. Accessed November 3, 2019.
- Utah clinical guidelines on prescribing opioids for treatment of pain.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2010; 24: 219-235
Christo PJ, Manchikanti L, Ruan X, et al. Urine drug testing in chronic pain. Pain Physician. 2011;14(2):123–143. https://www.painphysicianjournal.com/linkout?issn=&vol=14&page=123. Accessed November 1, 2019.
Manchikanti L, Manchukonda R, Pampati V, et al. Does random urine drug testing reduce illicit drug use in chronic pain patients receiving opioids. Pain Physician. 2006;9(2):123–129. https://www.painphysicianjournal.com/linkout?issn=1533-3159&vol=9&page=123. Accessed October 28, 2019.
- Describing prescription opioid adherence among individuals with chronic pain using urine drug testing.Pain Manag Nurs. 2015; 16: 51-59
- The utility of universal urinary drug screening in chronic pain management.Can J Pain. 2018; 2: 37-47
- The role of urine drug testing for patients on opioid therapy.Pain Pract. 2010; 10: 497-507
- Role of urine drug testing in the current opioid epidemic.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 2094-2104
- Management of chronic pain in survivors of adult cancers: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 3325-3345
- Rational urine drug monitoring in patients receiving opioids for chronic pain: consensus recommendations.Pain Med. 2018; 19: 97-117
- Opioids and the treatment of chronic pain in a primary care sample.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001; 22: 791-796
- Survey of select practice behaviors by primary care physicians on the use of opioids for chronic pain.Curr Med Res Opin. 2006; 22: 1859-1865
- Chronic pain in Canada: have we improved our management of chronic noncancer pain.Pain Res Manag. 2007; 12: 39-47
- Low use of opioid risk reduction strategies in primary care even for high risk patients with chronic pain.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 958-964
- Chronic opioid therapy urine drug testing in primary care: prevalence and predictors of aberrant results.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 1663-1671
- Enhancing system-wide implementation of opioid prescribing guidelines in primary care: protocol for a stepped-wedge quality improvement project.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 415
Optum. Clinformatics data mart. Eden Prairie, MN: Optum; Published 2017. https://www.optum.com/content/dam/optum/resources/productSheets/Clinformatics_for_Data_Mart.pdf. Accessed September 15, 2019.
- Nonmedical prescription opioid use and mental health and pain comorbidities: a narrative review.Can J Psychiatry. 2011; 56: 495-502
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Association of mental health disorders with prescription opioids and high-risk opioid use in U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan [published correction appears in JAMA 2012;307(23):2489].JAMA. 2012; 307: 940-947
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Common elements in guidelines for prescribing opioids for chronic pain. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/common_elements_in_guidelines_for_prescribing_opioids-a.pdf. Published December 15, 2016. Accessed April 2, 2020.
Davis C. Appendix B: state-by-state summary of opioid prescribing regulations and guidelines. Edina, MN: The Network for Public Health law, Southeastern Region Office & the National Health Law Program.https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prevention/womens-childrens-health/injury-prevention/opioid-prevention/appendix-b-state-by-state-summary.pdf. Published August 18, 2017. Accessed April 30, 2020.
- Urine drug testing in cancer pain management.Oncologist. 2020; 25: 99-104
- Risk of prolonged opioid use among opioid-naïve patients following common hand surgery procedures.J Hand Surg Am. 2016; 41: 947-957.e3
- Age and gender trends in long-term opioid analgesic use for noncancer pain.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 2541-2547
- Opiates and elderly: use and side effects.Clin Interv Aging. 2008; 3: 273-278
- Abuse of prescription (Rx) drugs affects young adults most.National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIH, HHS, Bethesda, MDPublished 2016https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/abuseprescription2016.pdfDate accessed: May 1, 2020
- Racial disparities in discontinuation of long-term opioid therapy following illicit drug use among black and white patients.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 192: 371-376
- Observation of improved adherence with frequent urine drug testing in patients with pain.J Opioid Manag. 2014; 10: 111-118
- Prescription opioid abuse and misuse: gap between primary-care investigator assessment and actual extent of these behaviors among patients with chronic pain.Postgrad Med. 2017; 129: 5-11
- Urine drug testing in pain medicine.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 27: 260-267
Laboratory registry. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/CLIA/Laboratory_Registry.html. Updated July 17, 2020. Accessed June 26, 2016.