Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Cancer facts and figures 2019.American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GAPublished 2019https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2019/cancer-facts-and-figures-2019.pdfDate accessed: March 27, 2020
International Agency for Research on Cancer. Global Cancer Observatory. http://gco.iarc.fr/. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Can family history be used as a tool for public health and preventive medicine?.Genet Med. 2002; 4: 304-310
- Research priorities for evaluating family history in the prevention of common chronic diseases.Am J Prev Med. 2003; 24: 128-135
- Family history in public health practice: a genomic tool for disease prevention and health promotion.Annu Rev Public Health. 2010; 31: 69-87
- The family history–more important than ever.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2333-2336
- Validation of family history data in cancer family registries.Am J Prev Med. 2003; 24: 190-198
- Genomics of cancer and a new era for cancer prevention.PLoS Genet. 2015; 11e1005522
- Cancer risk assessment: quality and impact of the family history interview.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 239-245
- Cancer genomics and inherited risk.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 687-698
- Community health worker intervention to decrease cervical cancer disparities in Hispanic women.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 1186-1192
- Community health advisors effectively promote cancer screening.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15: S14-S16
- Community health workers: an untapped resource to promote genomic literacy.J Health Commun. 2016; 21: 25-29
- Driving the precision medicine highway: community health workers and patient navigators.J Transl Med. 2019; 17: 85
- Development and evaluation of a genomics training program for community health workers in Texas.Genet Med. 2018; 20: 1030-1037
Genomic workforce competencies 2001. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/genomics/translation/competencies/index.htm. Updated November 18, 2010. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Genetics education and training: reports of the Secretary's Advisory Committee on Genetics Health and Society.HHS, Secretary's Advisory Committee on Genetics Health and Society, Bethesda, MDPublished February 1, 2011https://osp.od.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/SACGHS_education_report_2011.pdfDate accessed: March 27, 2020
- Will genomics widen or help heal the schism between medicine and public health?.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 310-317
- Genetics/genomics education for nongenetic health professionals: a systematic literature review.Genet Med. 2017; 19: 725-732
NCCN guidelines & clinical resources. National Comprehensive Cancer Network.https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/default.aspx. Updated October 10, 2017. Accessed February 7, 2018.
- Community health worker (CHW) core competencies.Texas Department of State Health Services, Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Section, Austin, TXPublished May 1, 2018https://www.dshs.texas.gov/chw/docs/TexasCHW-Competencies-Final.pdfDate accessed: March 27, 2020
- Development of an African-American role model intervention to increase breast self-examination and mammography.J Cancer Educ. 1992; 7: 311-319
- Using the 4MAT system to bring learning styles to schools.Educ Leadersh. 1990; 48 (https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ416429. Accessed March 27, 2019): 31-37
- Teaching Around the 4MAT® Cycle: Designing Instruction for Diverse Learners With Diverse Learning Styles.Corwin Press, Thousand Oaks, CA2006
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- The theory of planned behavior.Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 1991; 50: 179-211
- Diffusion of Innovations.5th ed. Free Press, New York, NY2003
My Family Health Portrait: a tool from the Surgeon General. Center for Disease Control and Prevention.https://phgkb.cdc.gov/FHH/html/index.html. Updated March 26, 2020. Accessed March 27, 2020.
CHW certification requirements. Texas Department of State Health Services. https://www.dshs.texas.gov/mch/chw/chwdocs.aspx. Updated November 23, 2020. Accessed December 11, 2020.
- SMOG grading: a new readability formula.J Reading. 1969; 12 (https://ogg.osu.edu/media/documents/health_lit/WRRSMOG_Readability_Formula_G._Harry_McLaughlin__1969_.pdf. Accessed March 27, 2020): 639-646
Find shortage areas. Health Resources and Services Administration. https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area. Accessed July 29, 2020.
Robust open-source learning platform. Moodle. https://moodle.org/. Accessed March 27, 2020.
- Training community health workers: using technology and distance education.HHS, Health Resources and Services Administration, Rockville, MDPublished April 2006https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/assets/255-463/training-chw.pdfDate accessed: March 27, 2020
- Community health worker professional advocacy: voices of action from the 2014 National Community Health Worker Advocacy Survey.J Ambul Care Manage. 2015; 38: 225-235