Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2019.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2019Published December 2019. Accessed December 16, 2020)
- Drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths - United States, 2013-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 67: 1419-1427https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm675152e1
Nearly half a million Americans suffered from Clostridium difficile infections in a single year [press release]. Atlanta, GA: CDC Newsroom; February 25, 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2015/p0225-clostridium-difficile.html. Accessed 4 February 2017.
The White House. National action plan for combating antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Washington, DC: The White House.https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/pdf/national_action_plan_for_combating_antibotic-resistant_bacteria.pdf. Published March 2015. Accessed December 16, 2020.
National action plan for ADE prevention. HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. https://health.gov/our-work/health-care-quality/adverse-drug-events/national-ade-action-plan. Updated July 24, 2020. Accessed December 16, 2020.
- Inappropriate prescribing of antibiotics in primary dental care: reasons and resolutions.Prim Dent J. 2014; 3: 33-37https://doi.org/10.1308/205016814813877333
- Differential prescribing of opioid analgesics according to physician specialty for Medicaid patients with chronic noncancer pain diagnoses.Pain Res Manag. 2014; 19: 179-185https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/857952
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1299-1301https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.401
- A survey of antibiotic use in dentistry.J Am Dent Assoc. 2000; 131: 1600-1609https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0090
- Prevention of infective endocarditis: guidelines from the American Heart Association: a guideline from the American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, and the Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, and the Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Interdisciplinary Working Group [published correction appears in Circulation. 2007;116(15):e376–e377].Circulation. 2007; 116: 1736-1754https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.183095
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Dental Association clinical practice guideline on the prevention of orthopaedic implant infection in patients undergoing dental procedures.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013; 95: 745-747https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-201304170-00011
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for dental patients with total joint replacements.J Am Dent Assoc. 2003; 134: 895-899https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0289
- Assessment of the appropriateness of antibiotic prescriptions for infection prophylaxis before dental procedures, 2011 to 2015.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e193909https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.3909
- Antibiotic use by members of the American Association of Endodontists in the year 2000: report of a national survey.J Endod. 2002; 28: 396-404https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200205000-00012
- The iatrogenic epidemic of prescription drug abuse: county-level determinants of opioid availability and abuse.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 138: 209-215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.03.002
- Dental opioid prescribing practices and risk mitigation strategy implementation: identification of potential targets for provider-level intervention.Subst Abus. 2016; 37: 9-14https://doi.org/10.1080/08897077.2015.1127870
- Specialty of prescribers associated with prescription opioid fatalities in Utah, 2002-2010.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 73-78https://doi.org/10.1111/pme.12247
- Analgesic prescribing patterns in a group of dentists.Gen Dent. 2000; 48 (Accessed December 16, 2020): 586-590
- Opioid prescribing after surgical extraction of teeth in Medicaid patients, 2000-2010.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1653-1654https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.19058
- Overprescribing of opioids to adults by dentists in the U.S., 2011-2015.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 58: 473-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.11.006
- Comparison of opioid prescribing by dentists in the United States and England.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e194303https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.4303
Boardman C, inventor; IMS Health Inc., assignee. System and method for estimating product distribution using a product specific universe; U.S. patent7,174,304. February 6, 2007. https://patents.google.com/patent/US7174304B1. Accessed February 17, 2021.
- U.S. outpatient antibiotic prescribing variation according to geography, patient population, and provider specialty in 2011.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 1308-1316https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ076
- Generalized Linear Mixed Models: Modern Concepts, Methods and Applications.Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL2013https://doi.org/10.1201/b13151
- Trends and patterns of geographic variation in opioid prescribing practices by state, United States, 2006-2017 [published correction appears in JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(5):e194307].JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e190665https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.0665
- Vital signs: changes in opioid prescribing in the United States, 2006-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 697-704https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6626a4
- Regional variation in antibiotic prescribing among Medicare part D enrollees, 2013.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 744https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-016-2091-0
- Geographic variation in opioid prescribing in the U.S.J Pain. 2012; 13: 988-996https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2012.07.007
- Prevalence of oral health problems in U.S. adults, NHANES 1999-2004: exploring differences by age, education, and race/ethnicity.Spec Care Dentist. 2012; 32: 234-241https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2012.00280.x
- Sex and race or ethnicity disparities in opioid prescriptions for dental diagnoses among patients receiving Medicaid [published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2019;150(10):e135–e144].J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; 149: 246-255https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2018.02.010
- Variability of antibiotic prescribing in a large healthcare network despite adjusting for patient-mix: reconsidering targets for improved prescribing.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6 (ofz018)https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz018
- Opioid analgesic prescribing practices of dental professionals in the United States.JDR Clin Transl Res. 2017; 2: 241-248https://doi.org/10.1177/2380084417693826
- Impact of a mandatory prescription drug monitoring program on prescription of opioid analgesics by dentists.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0135957https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0135957
- Opioid prescribing in the United States before and after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2016 opioid guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 367-375https://doi.org/10.7326/M18-1243
- The U.S. opioid crisis: current federal and state legal issues.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 1675-1681https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002403
- Effect of Florida's prescription drug monitoring program and pill mill laws on opioid prescribing and use.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1642-1649https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.3931
- Changes in U.S. outpatient antibiotic prescriptions from 2011-2016.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 70: 370-377https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciz225
- Core elements of outpatient antibiotic stewardship.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016; 65: 1-12https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.rr6506a1
- Successful Implementation of an antibiotic stewardship program in an academic dental practice.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: ofz067https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz067