Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Scientific report. Health.gov, HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/report/. Updated January 27, 2020. Accessed December 4, 2018.
Nutrition, physical activity, and obesity: data, trend and maps: data, trends and maps. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/data-trends-maps/index.html. Updated February 1, 2021. Accessed November 20, 2019.
- Behavioral counseling interventions to promote a healthy diet and physical activity for cardiovascular disease prevention in adults with cardiovascular risk factors: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2020; 324: 2069-2075https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.21749
- Behavioral weight loss interventions to prevent obesity-related morbidity and mortality in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1163-1171https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.13022
Increase the proportion of health care visits by adults with obesity that include counseling on weight loss, nutrition, or physical activity – NWS-05. HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health promotion.https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/overweight-and-obesity/increase-proportion-health-care-visits-adults-obesity-include-counseling-weight-loss-nutrition-or-physical-activity-nws-05. Updated October 8, 2020. Accessed October 15, 2020.
- The National Physical Activity Plan: a call to action from the American Heart Association: a science advisory from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 131: 1932-1940https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000203
- Call to action on making physical activity assessment and prescription a medical standard of care.Curr Sports Med Rep. 2016; 15: 207-214https://doi.org/10.1249/JSR.0000000000000249
- Implementing Strategies to Enhance Public Health Surveillance of Physical Activity in the United States.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2019https://doi.org/10.17226/25444
- Effect of a tailored physical activity intervention delivered in general practice settings: results of a randomized controlled trial.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 1825-1831https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.044537
- Physician-based physical activity counseling for middle-aged and older adults: a randomized trial.Ann Behav Med. 1999; 21: 40-47https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02895032
- Effectiveness of physician-based assessment and counseling for exercise in a staff model HMO.Prev Med. 2000; 30: 513-523https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2000.0673
- Two-year longitudinal analysis of a cluster randomized trial of physical activity promotion by general practitioners.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e18363https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0018363
- Initial validation of an exercise “vital sign” in electronic medical records.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012; 44: 2071-2076https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3182630ec1
- Associations between physical activity and cardiometabolic risk factors assessed in a Southern California health care system, 2010‒2012.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E219https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.140196
- Accelerometer validation of questionnaires used in clinical settings to assess MVPA.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 1538-1542https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000000565
- Validity of two brief physical activity questionnaires with accelerometers among African-American women.Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2016; 17: 265-276https://doi.org/10.1017/S1463423615000390
- The health and economic effects of light rail lines: design, methods, and protocol for a natural experiment.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 200https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-6518-6
Leo MC, Lindberg NM, Vesco KK, Stevens VJ. Validity of medical chart weights and heights for obese pregnant women. EGEMS (Wash DC). 2014;2(1):1051. https://doi.org/10.13063/2327-9214.1051.
- Body weight and height data in electronic medical records of children.Int J Pediatr Obes. 2010; 5: 237-242https://doi.org/10.3109/17477160903268308
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8
- Interinstrument reliability of the ActiGraph GT3X+ ambulatory activity monitor during free-living conditions in adults.J Phys Act Health. 2015; 12: 382-387https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2013-0070
- Technical variability of the GT3X accelerometer.Med Eng Phys. 2012; 34: 787-790https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2012.02.005
- ActiGraph and Actical physical activity monitors: a peek under the hood.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012; 44: S86-S89https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3182399f5e
- Physical activity in the United States measured by accelerometer.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 181-188https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0b013e31815a51b3
- Low moments for small samples: a comparative study of order statistics.Ann Math Stat. 1947; 18: 413-426https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177730388
- Validity of the global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ) in assessing levels and change in moderate-vigorous physical activity and sedentary behaviour.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1255https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1255
- A systematic review of the physical activity assessment tools used in primary care.Fam Pract. 2017; 34: 384-391https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmx011
- Physical activity assessment: validation of a clinical assessment tool.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 484-491https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2006.08.021
- A collection of Physical Activity Questionnaires for health-related research.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997; 29: S1-S205
- Surveillance systems.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, September 19, 2017https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/data/surveillance.htm#Assessing(Updated)Date accessed: December 9, 2019
Physical activity self-report measures Descriptions. Physical Activity Resource Center for Public Health. http://www.parcph.org/subjDefList.aspx. Accessed June 1, 2020.
- Recommendations to improve the accuracy of estimates of physical activity derived from self report.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: S76-S84https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.9.s1.s76
- A systematic approach to selecting an appropriate measure of self-reported physical activity or sedentary behavior.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: S19-S28https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.9.s1.s19
- Physical activity as a vital sign: a systematic review.Prev Chronic Dis. 2017; 14: E123https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd14.170030
- A review of current literature on vital sign assessment of physical activity in primary care.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2018; 50: 65-73https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12351
- Physical activity by self-report: a brief history and future issues.J Phys Act Health. 2012; 9: S5-S10https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.9.s1.s5
- Evolution of accelerometer methods for physical activity research.Br J Sports Med. 2014; 48: 1019-1023https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2014-093546
- Validation of the long international physical activity questionnaire: influence of age and language region.Prev Med Rep. 2016; 3: 250-256https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2016.03.003
- Risk estimates for diabetes and hypertension with different physical activity methods.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019; 51: 2498-2505https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000002083
- Comparison of self-reported versus accelerometer-measured physical activity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014; 46: 99-106https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3182a0595f