Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Trends in intentional abuse or misuse of benzodiazepines and opioid analgesics and the associated mortality reported to poison centers across the United States from 2000 to 2014.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2018; 56: 1107-1114https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650.2018.1457792
- Pharmaceutical drug misuse in Australia.Aust Prescr. 2014; 37: 79-81https://doi.org/10.18773/austprescr.2014.033
- Addiction: part I. Benzodiazepines–side effects, abuse risk and alternatives.Am Fam Physician. 2000; 61 (https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0401/p2121.html. Accessed March 24, 2021): 2121-2128
- Epidemiology of benzodiazepine use and dependence.Psychiatr Ann. 1995; 25: 146-148https://doi.org/10.3928/0048-5713-19950301-06
- Child and adolescent benzodiazepine exposure and overdose in the United States: 16 years of poison center data.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2020; 58: 725-731https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650.2019.1674321
- Increasing benzodiazepine prescriptions and overdose mortality in the United States, 1996-2013.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 686-688https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303061
- Benzodiazepine drug class: drug safety communication—boxed warning updated to improve safe use.U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2020 (https://www.fda.gov/safety/medical-product-safety-information/benzodiazepine-drug-class-drug-safety-communication-boxed-warning-updated-improve-safe-use?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery. Updated September 23, 2020. Accessed February 12, 2021)
- Therapeutic Guidelines: Oral and Dental Version 3.Therapeutic Guidelines Ltd, Melbourne, Australia2019
- Conscious sedation in dentistry: dental clinical guidance.third edition. NHS Education for Scotland, Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme, Dundee, Scotland2017https://www.sdcep.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SDCEP-Conscious-Sedation-Guidance.pdf(Published June)Date accessed: December 13, 2020
Dental Practitioner's Formulary, British National Formulary. https://www.nice.org.uk/bnf-uk-only. Accessed March 24, 2021.
- Drug prescribing for dentistry: dental clinical guidance.third edition. Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme, Dundee, Scotland2016 (https://www.sdcep.org.uk/published-guidance/drug-prescribing/. Accessed March 24, 2021)
- Access and Barriers to Care—a Report From the Adult Dental Health Survey.2009 (http://doc.ukdataservice.ac.uk/doc/6884/mrdoc/pdf/6884theme8_barriers_and_access_to_care.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed August 1, 2020)
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Equator Network, Enhancing the Quality and Transparency of Health Research.2019 (https://www.equator-network.org/reporting-guidelines/strobe/. Updated October 22, 2019. Accessed October 1, 2020)
Population. U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/topics/population.html. Accessed August 1, 2020.
- Prescription cost analysis – England, 2017 [PAS]: National statistics. NHS Digital.2019https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/prescription-cost-analysis/prescription-cost-analysis-england-2017(Updated October 10)Date accessed: October 1, 2020
Population Estimates. Office of National Statistics.https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates. Accessed August 1, 2020.
PBS and RPBS Section 85 Date of Supply Data. Australian Government Department of Health. http://www.pbs.gov.au/info/statistics/dos-and-dop/dos-and-dop. Accessed August 1, 2020.
The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, browse by dental items. Australian Government Department of Health. http://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/dental. Updated March 1, 2021. Accessed August 1, 2020.
Australian Statistics on Medicines. Australian Government Department of Health.http://www.pbs.gov.au/info/statistics/asm/asm-2011#info_on_asm. Accessed August 1, 2020.
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Government. http://www.abs.gov.au/. Accessed August 30, 2020.
- Open Government Licence for Public Sector Information.2019 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/. Accessed August 1, 2020)
- Comparison of the dental health of adults and children living in NSW with their counterparts in the U.S. and UK.N S W Public Health Bull. 2009; 20: 52-55https://doi.org/10.1071/NB08067
- Socioeconomic status, oral health and dental disease in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States.BMC Oral Health. 2018; 18: 176https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-018-0630-3
- Impacts of oral disorders in the United Kingdom and Australia.Br Dent J. 2005; 198: 489-493https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4812252
- Comparison of opioid prescribing by dentists in the United States and England.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e194303https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.4303
- Dental opioid prescribing rates after the up-scheduling of codeine in Australia.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 8463https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-65390-6
- A review of alprazolam use, misuse, and withdrawal.J Addict Med. 2018; 12: 4-10https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000350
- Abuse liability of alprazolam relative to other commonly used benzodiazepines: a review.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1993; 17: 277-285https://doi.org/10.1016/s0149-7634(05)80011-9
- Conscious sedation for dentistry: risk management and patient selection.Dent Clin North Am. 2002; 46: 767-780https://doi.org/10.1016/s0011-8532(02)00034-4
- Illinois dental anesthesia and sedation survey for 2016.Anesth Prog. 2019; 66: 77-86https://doi.org/10.2344/anpr-66-01-08
- A comparison of the sedation provision of NHS dental services 2014‒2016 for local authorities throughout England.Br Dent J. 2019; 227: 497-502https://doi.org/10.1038/s41415-019-0714-8
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, Dental Board of Australia.2019 (https://www.dentalboard.gov.au/Registration/Conscious-Sedation.aspx. Updated February 2, 2019. Accessed December 15, 2020)
- Registrant data. Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.2020 (https://www.dentalboard.gov.au/about-the-board/statistics.aspx. Accessed December 6, 2020)
- Temporomandibular disorders and associated clinical comorbidities.Clin J Pain. 2011; 27: 268-274https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e31820215f5
- Treatment modalities for burning mouth syndrome: a systematic review [published correction appears in Clin Oral Investig. 2019;23(9):3657].Clin Oral Investig. 2018; 22: 1893-1905https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-018-2454-6
- The American Academy of Oral Medicine.2015 (https://maaom.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:burning-mouth-syndrome&catid=22:patient-condition-information&Itemid=120. Updated January 22, 2015. Accessed December 15, 2020)
- How Should Dentists Prescribe, Store, Order and Dispose of Controlled Drugs?.2016 (https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/NW-QA178.4-Controlled-drugs-for-dentists-1-1.pdf. Accessed August 1, 2020)
The poisons standard (the SUSMP). Australian Government, Department of Health, Therapeutic Goods Administration.https://www.tga.gov.au/publication/poisons-standard-susmp. Accessed December 13 2020.
- A survey of prescribing practices by general dentists in Australia.BMC Oral Health. 2019; 19 (https://bmcoralhealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12903-019-0882-6. Accessed March 24, 2021): 193