Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- America's eating habits: food away from home.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2018https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=90227Date accessed: March 9, 2021
National statistics: restaurant industry facts at a glance. National Restaurant Association. https://restaurant.org/research/restaurant-statistics/restaurant-industry-facts-at-a-glance. Updated March 9, 2021. Accessed January 29, 2019.
- Fast food restaurant use among women in the pound of prevention study: dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 1353-1359https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801429
- Epidemic obesity in the United States: are fast foods and television viewing contributing?.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 277-280https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.88.2.277
- Fast food consumption and increased caloric intake: a systematic review of a trajectory towards weight gain and obesity risk.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 535-547https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2008.00477.x
- The relationship of the local food environment with obesity: a systematic review of methods, study quality, and results [published correction appears in Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015;23(12):2517–2519].Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 1331-1344https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21118
- The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the U.S. obesity epidemic.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 246-249https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.92.2.246
- Calorie and nutrient trends in large U.S. chain restaurants, 2012-2018.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0228891.https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0228891
- Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: a geographic analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 211-217https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(04)00139-4
- Impact of changes in chain restaurant calories over time on obesity risk.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 1743-1750https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-05683-8
- Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015‒2016.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; : 1-8
- Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity among adults: United States, 2017-2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; : 1-8
- Prevalence of obesity among adults, by household income and education—United States, 2011-2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 1369-1373https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6650a1
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.2020https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/Default.aspxDate accessed: September 2, 2020
National Health and Examination Survey 2017‒2018. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/index.htm. Published November 2020. Accessed August 6, 2021.
- Caloric intake from fast food among adults: United States, 2007-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2013; : 1-8
- Fast food consumption among adults in the United States, 2013-2016.NCHS Data Brief. 2018; : 1-8
- Caloric intake from fast food among children and adolescents in the United States, 2011-2012.NCHS Data Brief. 2015; (Accessed March 9, 2021): 1-8
- Fast food intake among children and adolescents in the United States, 2015-2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; : 1-8
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: analytic guidelines, 2011‒2014 and 2015‒2016.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2018Accessed March 9, 2021)
- Stata base reference manual release 15.StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2017Accessed March 9, 2021)
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Academic Press, New York, NY2013https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203771587
- Fast food pattern and cardiometabolic disorders: a review of current studies.Health Promot Perspect. 2015; 5: 231-240https://doi.org/10.15171/hpp.2015.028
- Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and severe obesity among adults aged 20 and over: United States, 1960–1962 through 2015–2016.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2018Accessed March 9, 2021)
- Changes in racial/ethnic disparities in the prevalence of type 2 diabetes by obesity level among U.S. adults.Ethn Health. 2009; 14: 439-457https://doi.org/10.1080/13557850802699155
- Limitations in the assessment of dietary energy intake by self-report.Metabolism. 1995; 44: 18-22https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(95)90204-x
- Association between commercial television exposure and fast-food consumption among adults.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 105-110https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980008002012
- Food advertising in the age of obesity: content analysis of food advertising on general market and African American television.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2005; 37: 191-196https://doi.org/10.1016/s1499-4046(06)60245-5