Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The health consequences of smoking—50 years of progress: a report of the surgeon general.HHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GAJanuary 2014PublishedAccessed January 2, 2014)
Current cigarette smoking among adults in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm. Updated December 10, 2020. Accessed January 30, 2019.
- County-level associations between tobacco retailer density and smoking prevalence in the USA, 2012.Prev Med Rep. 2019; 17 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2019.101005)101005
Valiente R, Escobar F, Urtasun M, Franco M, Shortt NK, Sureda X. Tobacco retail environment and smoking: a systematic review of geographic exposure measures and implications for future studies. Nicotine Tob Res. In press. Online November 5, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa223.
- The impact of tobacco promotion at the point of sale: a systematic review.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11 (https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntn002): 25-35
- Disparities in tobacco marketing and product availability at the point of sale: results of a national study.Prev Med. 2017; 105: 381-388https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.04.010
- Tobacco point-of-sale influence on U.S. adult smokers.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2020; 31: 249-264https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2020.0021
- Effects of neighbourhood socioeconomic status and convenience store concentration on individual level smoking.J Epidemiol Communnity Health. 2005; 59: 568-573https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2004.029041
Tobacco free pharmacies. CounterTobacco.org. https://countertobacco.org/policy/tobacco-free-pharmacies/. Updated 2021. Accessed November 2, 2018.
The tobacco use supplement to the current population survey. NIH, National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control & Population Sciences. https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/tcrb/tus-cps/. Updated May 20, 2021. Accessed January 20, 2019.
- The 2014-2015 tobacco use supplement to the current population survey.NIH, National Cancer Institute, Tobacco Control Research Branch, Washington, DCNovember 2017PublishedAccessed January 20, 2019)
- Defining quit attempts: what difference does a day make?.Addiction. 2005; 100: 257-258https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00952.x
- Definition of a quit attempt: a replication test.Nicotine Tob Res. 2010; 12: 1176-1179https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntq165
- Is it a quit attempt if it doesn’t last a day? Predictors of serious quit attempts of at least 24 hours duration.Ontario Tobacco Research Unit, Ontario, CanadaSeptember 2015Accessed March 1, 2020)
The economic census. U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/econ/. Updated June 20, 2019. Accessed April 1, 2018.
- Field validation of secondary data sources for enumerating retail tobacco outlets in a state without tobacco outlet licensing.Health Place. 2014; 28: 38-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2014.03.006
- Predictors of tobacco outlet density nationwide: a geographic analysis.Tob Control. 2013; 22: 349-355https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050120
Resources for reference solutions users. ReferenceUSA. http://resource.referenceusa.com/. Updated 2021. Accessed April 1, 2018.
- Associations of tobacco retailer availability with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease related hospital outcomes, United States, 2014.Health Place. 2021; 67102464https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2020.102464
When to use 1-year, 3-year, or 5-year estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/guidance/estimates.html. Updated September 10, 2020. Accessed January 7, 2019.
ACS 2014 (5-year estimates). Social Explorer. https://www.socialexplorer.com/tables/ACS2014_5yr. Accessed December 1, 2019.
- The association between tobacco outlet density and smoking among young people: a systematic methodological review.Nicotine Tob Res. 2021; 23: 239-248https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntz153
State tobacco activities tracking and evaluation (STATE) system. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/statesystem/index.html. Updated April 22, 2021. Accessed April 1, 2018.
- Stuck in neutral: stalled progress in statewide comprehensive smoke-free laws and cigarette excise taxes, United States, 2000-2014.Prev Chronic Dis. 2016; 13: E80https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd13.150409
- Small-area estimation and prioritizing communities for tobacco control efforts in Massachusetts.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 470-479https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.130112
- Tobacco retail environments and social inequalities in individual-level smoking and cessation among Scottish adults.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 138-146https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv089
- Tobacco town: computational modeling of policy options to reduce tobacco retailer density [published correction appears in Am J Public Health. 2017;107(10):e1].Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 740-746https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303685
- The association of tobacco marketing with median income and racial/ethnic characteristics of neighbourhoods in Omaha, Nebraska.Tob Control. 2010; 19: 256-258https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2009.032185
- The density of tobacco retailers and its association with attitudes toward smoking, exposure to point-of-sale tobacco advertising, cigarette purchasing, and smoking among New York youth.Prev Med. 2012; 55: 468-474https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.08.014
- The effect of retail cigarette pack displays on unplanned purchases: results from immediate post purchase interviews.Tob Control. 2009; 18: 218-221https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2008.027870
- A systematic review on the impact of point-of-sale tobacco promotion on smoking.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 2-17https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu168
- Public policy and some-day smoking among adults.J Appl Econ. 2004; 7: 137-162https://doi.org/10.1080/15140326. 2004.12040606
- How should we define light or intermittent smoking? Does it matter?.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11: 111-121https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp010
Obinwa U, Pasch KE, Jetelina KK, et al. A simulation of the potential impact of restricting tobacco retail outlets around middle and high schools on tobacco advertisements. Tob Control. In press. Online December 11, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2020-055724.
- Reducing the density and number of tobacco retailers: policy solutions and legal issues.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 19: 133-140https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw124
Kong AY, King BA. Boosting the Tobacco Control Vaccine: recognizing the role of the retail environment in addressing tobacco use and disparities. Tob Control. In press. Online September 23, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2020-055722.
- A comparison of three policy approaches for tobacco retailer reduction.Prev Med. 2015; 74: 67-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.01.025
Craigmile PF, Onnen N, Schwartz E, Glasser A, Roberts ME. Evaluating how licensing-law strategies will impact disparities in tobacco retailer density: a simulation in Ohio. Tob Control. In press. Online August 21, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2020-055622.
- Is neighbourhood access to tobacco outlets related to smoking behaviour and tobacco-related health outcomes and hospital admissions?.Prev Med. 2016; 88: 218-223https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.05.003
- Nondaily and social smoking: an increasingly prevalent pattern.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1742-1744https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.315
- Social smoking among U.S. college students.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: 1028-1034https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2003-0558-L
- Social smoking implications for public health, clinical practice, and intervention research.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 124-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.03.020
- The effect of tobacco outlet density and proximity on smoking cessation.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 315-320https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2010.191676
- Impact of tobacco outlet density and proximity on smoking cessation: a longitudinal observational study in two English cities.Health Place. 2014; 27: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2014.01.008
- Neighborhood racial, ethnic, and income disparities in accessibility to multiple tobacco retailers: Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, 2015.Prev Med Rep. 2020; 17101031https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2019.101031
- Advancing cessation research by integrating EMA and geospatial methodologies: associations between tobacco retail outlets and real-time smoking urges during a quit attempt.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: S93-S101https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntt135
- Is smoking cessation in young adults associated with tobacco retailer availability in their activity space?.Nicotine Tob Res. 2020; 22: 512-521https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nty242
- Summary of travel trends: 2009 national household travel survey.U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DCJune 2011PublishedAccessed March 30, 2018)