Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Effect of physical inactivity on major non-communicable diseases worldwide: an analysis of burden of disease and life expectancy.Lancet. 2012; 380: 219-229https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61031-9
- Evidence based physical activity for school-age youth.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 732-737https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2005.01.055
- Results from the United States 2018 report card on physical activity for children and youth.J Phys Act Health. 2018; 15: S422-S424https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2018-0476
- Objective physical activity of Filipino youth stratified for commuting mode to school.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 465-471https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000053701.30307.A6
- Active school transport, physical activity levels and body weight of children and youth: a systematic review.Prev Med. 2009; 48: 3-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.10.017
- Evaluation of an intervention to increase physical activity in low-income, urban middle schools.J Sch Health. 2019; 89: 705-714https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12808
- Critical factors for active transportation to school among low-income and minority students. Evidence from the 2001 National Household Travel Survey.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 341-344https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.01.004
- Active transportation and public transportation use to achieve physical activity recommendations? A combined GPS, accelerometer, and mobility survey study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 124https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-014-0124-x
- Building resilience after school for early adolescents in urban poverty: open trial of Leaders @ Play.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42: 723-736https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-014-0608-7
- The FLASHE Study: survey development, dyadic perspectives, and participant characteristics.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 839-848https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.01.028
- Calibration and validation of the Youth Activity Profile: the FLASHE Study.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 880-887https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.12.010
- Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity from ages 9 to 15 years [published correction appears in JAMA. 2009;301(20):2095–2098].JAMA. 2008; 300: 295-305https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.300.3.295
Public use microdata samples (PUMS). United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/microdata.html. Updated February 23, 2021. Accessed August 27, 2020.
- Inequality in the built environment underlies key health disparities in physical activity and obesity.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 417-424https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0058
- Youth risk behavior surveillance - United States, 2011.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012; 61: 1-162https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22673000/Date accessed: August 20, 2020
- Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity in U.S. children, 1999-2016 [published correction appears in Pediatrics. 2018;142(3):e20181916].Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20173459https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-3459
- New technologies and automakers have the potential to eliminate transportation as a major factor contributing to health disparities, and provide additional benefits.J Transp Technol. 2016; 6: 449-456https://doi.org/10.4236/jtts.2016.65036
- Obesogenic neighborhood environments, child and parent obesity: the Neighborhood Impact on Kids study.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: e57-e64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.02.008
- Longitudinal effects of transportation vulnerability on the association between racial/ethnic segregation and youth cardiovascular health.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2021; 8: 618-629https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-020-00821-8
- Relationship between recreational resources in the school neighborhood and changes in fitness in New York City public school students.J Urban Health. 2017; 94: 20-29https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-016-0114-1
- Physical activity in relation to urban environments in 14 cities worldwide: a cross-sectional study [published correction appears in Lancet. 2016;387(10034):2198].Lancet. 2016; 387: 2207-2217https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01284-2
Adolescent health. Healthy People 2020, HHS, Office of Disease Prevention and Health promotion. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/Adolescent-Health. Updated June 23, 2021. Accessed August 27, 2020.
Moudon AV, Stewart O, Lin L. Safe routes to school (SRTS) statewide mobility assessment study: phase I report. Seattle, WA: Washington State, Department of Transportation, Office of Research & Library Services. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/743.1.pdf. Published January 2010. Accessed August 27, 2020.