Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Bullying surveillance among youths: uniform definitions for public health and recommended data elements, version 1.0. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Education, 2014https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/bullying-definitions-final-a.pdfDate accessed: December 1, 2020
Texas health data: Texas Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS). Texas Department of State Health Services. http://healthdata.dshs.texas.gov/dashboard/surveys-and-profiles/youth-risk-behavior-survey. Accessed October 22, 2020.
David's Law. Texas State Legislature, 85th Texas Legislature, S. 179. (2017). https://www.capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/SB00179F.pdf. Accessed July 21, 2021.
Cyberbullying: anti-bullying laws in Texas after SB 179 (David's law). Texas Association of School Boards. https://www.tasb.org/services/legal-services/tasb-school-law-esource/students/documents/cyberbullying.aspx. Updated August 2018. Accessed July 21, 2021.
- Impact of bullying in childhood on adult health, wealth, crime, and social outcomes.Psychol Sci. 2013; 24: 1958-1970https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797613481608
- Bullying among young adolescents: the strong, the weak, and the troubled.Pediatrics. 2003; 112: 1231-1237https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.112.6.1231
- Association between bullying and psychosomatic problems: a meta-analysis [published correction appears in Pediatrics. 2009;124(3):1000].Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 1059-1065https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-1215
- Bullying among middle-school students in low and middle income countries.Health Promot Int. 2010; 25: 73-84https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dap046
- Poor dietary habits in bullied adolescents: the moderating effects of diet on depression.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15: 1569https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15081569
- Cyber bullying and physical bullying in adolescent suicide: the role of violent behavior and substance use.J Youth Adolesc. 2013; 42: 675-684https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-013-9925-5
- Is peer victimization associated with academic achievement? A meta-analytic review.Soc Dev. 2010; 19: 221-242https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9507.2009.00539.x
- Childhood bullying behaviors at age eight and substance use at age 18 among males. A nationwide prospective study.Addict Behav. 2011; 36: 256-260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2010.10.012
- Victimization from mental and physical bullying and substance use in early adolescence.Addict Behav. 2009; 34: 561-567https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2009.03.012
- Illuminating the relationship between bullying and substance use among middle and high school youth.Addict Behav. 2012; 37: 569-572https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2012.01.001
- Examining the association between bullying victimization and prescription drug misuse among adolescents in the United States.J Affect Disord. 2019; 259: 317-324https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.08.063
- Bullying Victimization and e-cigarette use among middle and high school students.J Sch Health. 2020; 90: 545-553https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12902
- Up in smoke: exploring the relationship between bullying victimization and e-cigarette use in sexual minority youths.Subst Use Misuse. 2020; 55: 2221-2229https://doi.org/10.1080/10826084.2020.1797809
- Sex as a biological variable: a 5-year progress report and call to action.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2020; 29: 858-864https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2019.8247
- Reasons for electronic cigarette use among middle and high school students - National Youth Tobacco Survey, United States, 2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 196-200https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6706a5
Teen vaping in Texas. Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living, UTHealth, The University of Texas, Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health. https://sph.uth.edu/research/centers/dell/texas-child-health-status-report/teen%20vaping%20in%20texas%2010.16.20.pdf. Updated September 16, 2020. Accessed October 12, 2020.
- A conceptual framework for understanding the association between school bullying victimization and substance misuse.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2014; 84: 696-710https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000036
- Bullying victimization and substance use among U.S. adolescents: mediation by depression.Prev Sci. 2010; 11: 355-359https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-010-0179-0
- Vaping in adolescents: epidemiology and respiratory harm.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2020; 32: 378-383https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0000000000000896
- Review of health consequences of electronic cigarettes and the outbreak of electronic cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury.J Med Toxicol. 2020; 16: 295-310https://doi.org/10.1007/s13181-020-00772-w
- 2017 Texas Youth Risk Behavior Survey.(Published 2018)www.dshs.texas.gov/chs/yrbsDate accessed: July 21, 2021
Texas Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. 2019 Texas Youth Risk Behavior Survey. www.dshs.texas.gov/chs/yrbs. Published 2020. Accessed July 21, 2021.
- Methodology of the youth risk behavior surveillance system–2013.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013; 62: 1-20
- Simulation study of confounder-selection strategies.Am J Epidemiol. 1993; 138: 923-936https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a116813
- Linkages between depressive symptomatology and internet harassment among young regular internet users.Cyberpsychol Behav. 2004; 7: 247-257https://doi.org/10.1089/109493104323024500
- Bullying and victimization: prevalence and relationship to gender, grade level, ethnicity, self-esteem, and depression.Adolescence. 2003; 38: 735-747
- Early-onset depressive disorders predict the use of addictive substances in adolescence: a prospective study of adolescent Finnish twins.Addiction. 2008; 103: 2045-2053https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02363.x
- Gender differences in trajectories of depressive symptomatology and substance use during the transition from adolescence to young adulthood.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1166-1179https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.04.037
- Appearance-related teasing and substance use during early adolescence.Psychol Addict Behav. 2020; 34: 541-548https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000563
- Assault, PTSD, family substance use, and depression as risk factors for cigarette use in youth: findings from the National Survey of Adolescents.J Trauma Stress. 2000; 13: 381-396https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007772905696
- Peer victimization as a predictor of depression and body mass index in obese and non-obese adolescents.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008; 49: 858-866https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2008.01886.x
- Cyberbullying, school bullying, and psychological distress: a regional census of high school students.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 171-177https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300308