Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Child Maltreatment.HHS, Children's Bureau, an Office of the Administration for Children & Families, Washington, DC2019https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/report/child-maltreatment-2019(Published January 14, 2021)Date accessed: April 27, 2021
Definitions of child abuse and neglect. HHS, Administration for Children and Families, Children Bureau. https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/define.pdf. Updated March 2019. Accessed August 7, 2020.
- Developmental effects of child abuse: recent findings.Child Abuse Negl. 1987; 11: 15-27https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(87)90029-9
- Language problems among abused and neglected children: a meta-analytic review.Child Maltreat. 2016; 21: 47-58https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559515616703
- Attachment, development, and mental health in abused and neglected preschool children in foster care: a meta-analysis.Trauma Violence Abuse. 2018; 19: 443-458https://doi.org/10.1177/1524838016669503
- Understanding the behavioral and emotional consequences of child abuse.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: 667-673https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-1885
- Long-term effects of child abuse and neglect on emotion processing in adulthood.Child Abuse Negl. 2014; 38: 1369-1381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2014.03.008
- The association between childhood physical abuse and heart disease in adulthood: findings from a representative community sample.Child Abuse Negl. 2010; 34: 689-698https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2010.02.005
- Beating and insulting children as a risk for adult cancer, cardiac disease and asthma.J Behav Med. 2013; 36: 632-640https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-012-9457-6
- The association between adverse childhood experiences and risk of cancer in adulthood: a systematic review of the literature.Pediatrics. 2016; 138: S81-S91https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-4268L
- Adverse childhood experiences, mental health, and excessive alcohol use: examination of race/ethnicity and sex differences.Child Abuse Negl. 2017; 69: 40-48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.04.004
- Adverse childhood experiences and later life adult obesity and smoking in the United States.Ann Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 488-492.e5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2016.06.003
- The Supreme Court's surprising decision on the Medicaid expansion: how will the federal government and states proceed?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 1663-1672https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2012.0766
Status of state action on the Medicaid expansion decision. Kaiser Family Foundation.https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/state-activity-around-expanding-medicaid-under-the-affordable-care-act/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Updated August 10, 2021. Accessed August 7, 2020.
Child Welfare Information Gateway. Child Maltreatment 2019: Summary of key findings. HHS, Administration for Children and Families, Children's Bureau. https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/canstats/. Published April 2021. Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Adults in the income range for the Affordable Care Act's Medicaid expansion are healthier than pre-ACA enrollees.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 691-699https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0743
- Medicaid ‘welcome-mat’ effect of Affordable Care Act implementation could be substantial.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 1319-1325https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0360
- Unemployment rates, single parent density, and indices of child poverty: their relationship to different categories of child abuse and neglect.Child Abuse Negl. 1998; 22: 79-90https://doi.org/10.1016/s0145-2134(97)00134-8
- Income inequality and child maltreatment in the United States.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 454-461https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1707
- Poverty and child maltreatment.in: Korbin JE Krugman RD Handbook of Child Maltreatment. 2. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands2014: 131-148https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-7208-3_7
- The relationship between parental substance abuse and child maltreatment: findings from the Ontario Health Supplement.Child Abuse Negl. 2003; 27: 1409-1425https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2003.07.002
- Maternal mental illness and the safety and stability of maltreated children.Child Abuse Negl. 2011; 35: 309-318https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2011.01.006
- Understanding child protection decisions involving parents with mental illness and substance abuse.Child Abuse Negl. 2018; 81: 235-248https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.05.005
- Risk factors of parents abused as children: a mediational analysis of the intergenerational continuity of child maltreatment (Part I).J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2005; 46: 47-57https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2004.00339.x
- Identifying children at high risk for a child maltreatment report.Child Abuse Negl. 2011; 35: 96-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2010.09.003
- Opioid crisis: no easy fix to its social and economic determinants.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 182-186https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.304187
- A public health strategy for the opioid crisis.Public Health Rep. 2018; 133: 24S-34Shttps://doi.org/10.1177/0033354918793627
- Deaths of Despair and the Future of Capitalism.Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ2020
- Deaths of despair: why? What to do?.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1564-1565https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303992
- The affordable care act Medicaid expansions and personal finance.Med Care Res Rev. 2019; 76: 538-571https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558717725164
- Early Medicaid expansion associated with reduced payday borrowing in California.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1769-1776https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0369
- Medicaid expansion, mental health, and access to care among childless adults with and without chronic conditions.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 376-383https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-017-4217-5
- Can Medicaid expansion prevent housing evictions?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 1451-1457https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2018.05071
- The effects of the ACA Medicaid expansion on nationwide home evictions and eviction-court initiations: United States, 2000–2016.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1379-1383https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2019.305230
- Medicaid expansion increased coverage, improved affordability, and reduced psychological distress for low-income parents.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 808-818https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.1650
- Changes in buprenorphine-naloxone and opioid pain reliever prescriptions after the Affordable Care Act Medicaid expansion.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e181588https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.1588
- Specialty substance use disorder treatment admissions steadily increased in the four years after Medicaid expansion.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 453-461https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.01428
- Assessment of rates of child maltreatment in states with Medicaid expansion vs states without Medicaid expansion.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e195529https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.5529
- Evidence-based practices for children exposed to violence: a selection from federal databases.U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Washington, DCPublished 2011https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/evidence-based-practices-children-exposed-violence-selectionDate accessed: April 28, 2021
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of interventions designed to decrease child abuse in high-risk families.Child Abuse Negl. 2017; 65: 48-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.01.004
- Population-based prevention of child maltreatment: the U.S. Triple P system population trial [published correction appears in Prev Sci. 2015;16(1):168].Prev Sci. 2009; 10: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-009-0123-3
- Money matters: does the minimum wage affect child maltreatment rates?.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2017; 72: 60-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.09.033
Callaway B, Sant'Anna PH. Difference-in-differences with multiple time periods. J Econ. In press. Online December 17, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2020.12.001
- Health and access to care during the first 2 years of the ACA Medicaid expansions.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 947-956https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1612890
- Child maltreatment.HHS, Children Bureau, Washington, DC2015https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/report/child-maltreatment-2015(Published January 19, 2017)Date accessed: August 31, 2020
NCANDS. HHS, Children's Bureau, An Office of the Administration for Children & Families. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/research-data-technology/reporting-systems/ncands. Updated July 1 2021. Accessed August 7, 2020.
- Time to leave substantiation behind: findings from a national probability study.Child Maltreat. 2009; 14: 17-26https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559508326030
- Defining maltreatment according to substantiation: distinction without a difference?.Child Abuse Negl. 2005; 29: 479-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2003.12.005
- Substantiation and recidivism.Child Maltreat. 2003; 8: 248-260https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559503258930
- Substantiated and unsubstantiated cases of child maltreatment: do their consequences differ?.Soc Work Res. 1994; 18: 67-82https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/18.2.67
Interpreting regression coefficients for log-transformed variables. Cornell Statistical Consulting Unit. https://cscu.cornell.edu/wp-content/uploads/83_logv.pdf. Updated September 2020. Accessed February 18, 2021.
Zeldow B, Hatfield LA. Confounding and regression adjustment in difference-in-differences. Ithaca, NY: arXiv, Cornell University. Published November 28, 2019. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1911.12185.pdf. Accessed August 7, 2020.
- The state of applied econometrics: causality and policy evaluation.J Econ Perspect. 2017; 31: 3-32https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.31.2.3
- The Medicaid expansion gap and racial and ethnic minorities with substance use disorders.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: S452-S454https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302560
- Effect of the Affordable Care Act on racial and ethnic disparities in health insurance coverage.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 1416-1421https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303155
Garfield R, Damico A, The coverage gap: uninsured poor adults in states that do not expand Medicaid–an update. 2016. Kaiser Family Foundation; Menlo Park, CA.https://files.kff.org/attachment/issue-brief-the-coverage-gap-uninsured-poor-adults-in-states-that-do-not-expand-medicaid-an-update-2. Accessed September 3, 2021.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in physical abuse reporting and Child Protective Services interventions in the United States.J Natl Med Assoc. 2011; 103: 926-931https://doi.org/10.1016/s0027-9684(15)30449-1
- Community and individual risk factors for physical child abuse and child neglect: variations by poverty status.Child Maltreat. 2017; 22: 215-226https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559517711806
- Children in the opioid epidemic: addressing the next generation's public health crisis.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20181656https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-1656
- Substance use, the opioid epidemic, and the child welfare system: key findings from a mixed methods study.Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, Washington, DCPublished March 6, 2018https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/substance-use-opioid-epidemic-child-welfare-system-key-findings-mixed-methods-studyDate accessed: July 19, 2021
- Difference-in-differences with variation in treatment timing.National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MAPublished September 2018https://doi.org/10.3386/w25018
Sun L, Abraham S. Estimating dynamic treatment effects in event studies with heterogeneous treatment effects. J Econ. In press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2020.09.006.
- Revisiting event study design.Social Science Research Network, Rochester, NYAugust 20, 2016https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2826228
- Two-way fixed effects estimators with heterogeneous treatment effects.Am Econ Rev. 2020; 110: 2964-2996https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20181169
- Design-based analysis in difference-in-differences settings with staggered adoption.National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MAPublished August 2018https://doi.org/10.3386/w24963
Callaway B, Sant'Anna P. Getting started with the did package. https://bcallaway11.github.io/did/articles/did-basics.html. Accessed February 18, 2021.
- States getting a jump start on health reform's Medicaid expansion.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CAPublished April 2, 2012https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/states-getting-a-jump-start-on-health/Date accessed: February 18, 2021
- California's early ACA expansion increased coverage and reduced out-of-pocket spending for the state's low-income population.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1688-1694https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0290
- Early Medicaid expansion in Connecticut stemmed the growth in hospital uncompensated care.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1170-1179https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0107
- Medi-Cal's very big decade.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CA2020https://khn.org/news/medi-cals-very-big-decade/(Published January 17, 2020)Date accessed: February 18, 2021
Medicaid matters: the impact of Minnesota's Medicaid Program. Minnesota Department of Human Services. https://mn.gov/dhs/medicaid-matters/. Accessed February 18, 2021.
Monthly Medicaid & CHIP application, eligibility determination, and enrollment reports & data. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/national-medicaid-chip-program-information/medicaid-chip-enrollment-data/monthly-medicaid-chip-application-eligibility-determination-and-enrollment-reports-data/index.html. Accessed February 18, 2021.
- So you've been told to do my difference-in-differences thing: a guide.Vanderbilt, Nashvelli, TNPublished October 9, 2019https://cdn.vanderbilt.edu/vu-my/wp-content/uploads/sites/2318/2019/10/09023516/so_youve_been_told_dd_10_9_2019.pdfDate accessed: February 19, 2021
- Neglected Children: Research, Practice, and Policy.Sage Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA1999https://doi.org/10.4135/9781452225586
- The social welfare policy landscape and Child Protective Services: opportunities for and barriers to creating systems synergy.Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci. 2020; 692: 140-161https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716220973566
- Why have child maltreatment and child victimization declined?.J Soc Issues. 2006; 62: 685-716https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.2006.00483.x
- Updated trends in child maltreatment.Crimes Against Children Research Center, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH2015http://unh.edu/ccrc/pdf/Updated%20Trends%202015.pdf(Published February 2017)Date accessed: February 27, 2021
HHS, Administration for Children and Families, Administration on Children Youth and Families, Children's Bureau. Child Maltreatment 2018. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/report/child-maltreatment-2018. Published January 15, 2020. Accessed September 3, 2021