Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The negative impact of sugar-sweetened beverages on children's health: an update of the literature.BMC Obes. 2018; 5: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s40608-017-0178-9
- Sources of added sugars in young children, adolescents, and adults with low and high intakes of added sugars.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 102https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10010102
- Consensus statement. Healthy beverage consumption in early childhood: recommendations from key national health and nutrition organizations.Healthy Eating Research, Minneapolis, MNPublished September 2019https://healthyeatingresearch.org/research/consensus-statement-healthy-beverage-consumption-in-early-childhood-recommendations-from-key-national-health-and-nutrition-organizations/Date accessed: July 27, 2021
- Food consumption patterns of infants and toddlers: findings from the Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study (FITS) 2016.J Nutr. 2018; 148: 1525S-1535Shttps://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxy171
- Room for improvement remains in food consumption patterns of young children aged 2–4 years.J Nutr. 2018; 148: 1536S-1546Shttps://doi.org/10.1093/jn/nxx053
- Trends in beverage consumption among children and adults, 2003-2014 [published correction appears in Obesity (Silver Spring). 2019;27(10):1720].Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018; 26: 432-441https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22056
- Children's drink FACTS 2019, sales, nutrition, and marketing of children's drinks.UConn Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity, Hartford, CTPublished October 2019http://uconnruddcenter.org/files/Pdfs/FACTS2019.pdfDate accessed: July 27, 2021
- Purchases of ready-to-eat cereals vary across U.S. household sociodemographic categories according to nutritional value and advertising targets.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 1456-1465https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980011003065
- Associations between the home environment and children's sweet beverage consumption at 2-year follow-up: the ‘Be active, eat right’ study.Pediatr Obes. 2015; 10: 126-133https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.235
- What proportion of preschool-aged children consume sweetened beverages?.J Sch Health. 2014; 84: 185-194https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12136
- Distributional changes in U.S. sugar-sweetened beverage purchases, 2002-2014.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 59: 260-269https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.02.002
FRED economic data. Economic Research, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/. Updated August 26, 2021. Accessed July 27, 2021.
- U.S. toddler milk sales and associations with marketing practices.Public Health Nutr. 2020; 23: 1127-1135https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980019003756
- An empirical model of advertising dynamics.Quant Mark Econ. 2005; 3: 107-144https://doi.org/10.1007/s11129-005-0334-2
- Food insufficiency is not related to the overall variety of foods consumed by young children in low-income families.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 640-644https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2004.01.018
Prior HHS poverty guidelines and federal register references. ASPE, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation. https://aspe.hhs.gov/prior-hhs-poverty-guidelines-and-federal-register-references. Updated February 1, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2020.
- Food security rates are high for elderly households.Food Rev/Natl Food Rev. 2002; 25: 1-6https://doi.org/10.22004/ag.econ.234603
- Medical expenditures associated with diabetes in myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke patients.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: S190-S196https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2017.07.012
BMC state of the U.S. non alcoholic beverage Industry 2019. Slideshare. April 17, 2019. https://www.slideshare.net/Foodsfluidsandbeyond/bmc-state-of-the-us-non-alcoholic-beverage-industry-2019. Accessed October 6, 2020.
- Targeted marketing and public health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2010; 31: 349-369https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.012809.103607
Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative. BBB National Programs. https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/cfbai. Updated February 1, 2021. Accessed March 23, 2020.
- Committee on Nutrition, Section on Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. The use of nonnutritive sweeteners in children.Pediatrics. 2019; 144e20192765https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-2765
- Recommendations for Responsible Food Marketing to children.Healthy Eating Research, Minneapolis, MNPublished January 2015http://healthyeatingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/HER_Food-Marketing-Recomm_1-2015.pdfDate accessed: August 3, 2021
- Children's fruit “juice” drinks and FDA regulations: opportunities to increase transparency and support public health.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 871-880https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305621
- Impact of sugar-sweetened beverage taxes on purchases and dietary intake: systematic review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2019; 20: 1187-1204https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12868
- The prospective impact of food pricing on improving dietary consumption: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0172277https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0172277
- The influence of socioeconomic factors and family context on energy-dense food consumption among 2-year-old children.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69: 47-54https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2014.140
- Multivariate analysis of diet in children at four and seven years of age and associations with socio-demographic characteristics.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005; 59: 751-760https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602136
- Influences on the quality of young children's diets: the importance of maternal food choices.Br J Nutr. 2011; 105: 287-296https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114510003302
- Infant formula and toddler milk marketing: opportunities to address harmful practices and improve young children's diets.Nutr Rev. 2020; 78: 866-883https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nuz095