Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Comparison of opioid prescribing by dentists in the United States and England.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e194303https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.4303
- Benefits and harms associated with analgesic medications used in the management of acute dental pain: an overview of systematic reviews.J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; 149 ([published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2018;149(6):413] [published correction appears in J Am Dent Assoc. 2020;151(3):163]) (e3): 256-265https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2018.02.012
- Opioid prescribing patterns by dental procedure among U.S. publicly and privately insured patients, 2013 through 2018.J Am Dent Assoc. 2021; 152: 309-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2021.01.001
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and opioids in postsurgical dental pain.J Dent Res. 2020; 99: 777-786https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034520914254
- Just-in-case opioid prescribing.J Dent Educ. 2020; 84: 1327-1328https://doi.org/10.1002/jdd.12500
- Variability in the analgesic response to ibuprofen is associated with cyclooxygenase activation in inflammatory pain.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 106: 632-641https://doi.org/10.1002/cpt.1446
- Persistent opioid use after wisdom tooth extraction.JAMA. 2018; 320: 504-506https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.9023
- Association of opioid prescriptions from dental clinicians for U.S. adolescents and young adults with subsequent opioid use and abuse.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179 ([published correction appears in JAMA Intern Med. 2019;179(7):1007]): 145-152https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.5419
- Brummett CM. Persistent opioid use associated with dental opioid prescriptions among publicly and privately insured U.S. patients, 2014 to 2018.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e216464https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.6464
- Nalliah RP. Dental opioid prescriptions and overdose risk in patients and their families.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 61: 165-173https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.02.008
- Dental opioid prescription characteristics and the risk of new, persistent use.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: 831-839https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.01.016
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1299-1301https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.401
- Opioid prescribing patterns among medical providers in the United States, 2003-17: retrospective, observational study.BMJ. 2020; 368: l6968https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l6968
- Opioid prescribing to U.S. children and young adults in 2019.Pediatrics. 2021; 148e2021051539https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2021-051539
OneKey reference assets. IQVIA.https://www.iqvia.com/locations/united-states/solutions/life-sciences/information-solutions/essential-information/onekey-reference-assets. Accessed June 9, 2021.
National Plan & Provider Enumeration System. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov. Accessed June 9, 2021.
- Association between concurrent use of prescription opioids and benzodiazepines and overdose: retrospective analysis.BMJ. 2017; 356: j760https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j760
- Multiple opioid prescriptions among privately insured dental patients in the United States: evidence from claims data.J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; 149 (e1): 619-627https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2018.02.025
- Initial opioid prescriptions among U.S. commercially insured patients, 2012-2017.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1043-1052https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1807069
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain - United States, 2016.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016; 65 ([published correction appears in MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(11):295]): 1-49https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.rr6501e1
- Characteristics of initial prescription episodes and likelihood of long-term opioid use - United States, 2006-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 265-269https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6610a1
- PQA measures overview: initial opioid prescribing for long duration (IOP-LD).Pharmacy Quality Alliance, Alexandria, VA2021 (https://www.pqaalliance.org/assets/Measures/PQA_Measures_Overview.pdf. Published February 2021. Accessed November 19, 2021)
- Data resources: analyzing prescription data and morphine milligram equivalents (MMEs).Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2021; (https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/resources/data.html. Updated June 4, 2021. Accessed January 2)
- Benzodiazepine prescribing patterns and deaths from drug overdose among U.S. veterans receiving opioid analgesics: case-cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2698https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2698
- Association of opioid prescribing patterns with prescription opioid overdose in adolescents and young adults.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 141-148https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.4878
- Association between receipt of overlapping opioid and benzodiazepine prescriptions from multiple prescribers and overdose risk.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2120353https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.20353
- Comparison of dental benzodiazepine prescriptions from the U.S., England, and Australia from 2013 to 2018.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 61: 73-79https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.01.025
Relationship files. U.S. Census Bureau.https://www.census.gov/geographies/reference-files/2010/geo/relationship-files.html#par_list. Updated October 8, 2021. Accessed May 15, 2021.
- Assessing the impact of an opioid prescribing guideline for dentists in Ontario.Canada. J Am Dent Assoc. 2020; 151: 43-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2019.08.021
- Impact of a mandatory prescription drug monitoring program on prescription of opioid analgesics by dentists.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0135957https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0135957
- Dental workforce trends: a national study of gender diversity and practice patterns.Med Care Res Rev. 2021; 78 (suppl): 30S-39Shttps://doi.org/10.1177/1077558720952667
- Comparison of hospital mortality and readmission rates for Medicare patients treated by male vs female physicians.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 206-213https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.7875
- Nattinger AB. Surgeon characteristics and variations in treatment for early-stage breast cancer.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 17-22https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.142.1.17
- Overprescribing of opioids to adults by dentists in the U.S., 2011-2015.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 58: 473-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.11.006
- Characteristics associated with opioid and antibiotic prescribing by dentists.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 60: 648-657https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2020.11.017
- Trends and patterns of geographic variation in opioid prescribing practices by state, United States, 2006-2017.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2 ([published correction appears in JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(5):e194307])e190665https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.0665