Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
WHO, Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health - final report of the commission on social determinants of health, Published August 27, 2008, WHO; Geneva, Switzerland https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-IER-CSDH-08.1. Accessed August 30, 2021.
- Meanings and misunderstandings: a social determinants of health lexicon for health care systems.Milbank Q. 2019; 97: 407-419https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12390
- Social Determinants of health 201 for health care: plan, do study, act.NAM Perspect. 2021; 2021https://doi.org/10.31478/202106c
- When talking about social determinants, precision matters.HealthAffairs, Bethesda, MDPublished October 29, 2019Accessed August 30, 2021)
- Screening and interventions for social risk factors: technical brief to support the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 2021; 326: 1416-1428https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2021.12825
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. The accountable health communities health-related social needs screening tool. Washington, DC: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. https://innovation.cms.gov/files/worksheets/ahcm-screeningtool.pdf. Published 2019. Accessed August 30, 2021.
- Neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and 30-day rehospitalization: a retrospective cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 765-774https://doi.org/10.7326/M13-2946
- Socioeconomic status and readmissions: evidence from an urban teaching hospital.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 778-785https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0816
- Area deprivation index predicts readmission risk at an urban teaching hospital.Am J Med Qual. 2018; 33: 493-501https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860617753063
- Social factors and patient perceptions associated with preventable hospital readmissions.J Patient Exp. 2020; 7: 19-26https://doi.org/10.1177/2374373518825143
- Assessing the impact of social determinants of health on predictive models for potentially avoidable 30-day readmission or death.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0235064https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0235064
- Hospital readmission and social risk factors identified from physician notes.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 1110-1136https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12670
- The impact of social determinants of health on hospitalization in the Veterans Health Administration.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 56: 811-818https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2018.12.012
- Social determinants of health and 90-day mortality after hospitalization for heart failure in the REGARDS Study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e014836https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.119.014836
- Social needs and health-related outcomes among Medicaid beneficiaries.Health Educ Behav. 2019; 46: 436-444https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198118822724
- Addressing social determinants of health in hospitals: how are hospitals and health systems investing in and addressing social needs?.Deloitte, New York, NYPublished 2017https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/life-sciences-and-health-care/articles/addressing-social-determinants-of-health-hospitals-survey.htmlDate accessed: October 21, 2021
- Health care hotspotting - a randomized, controlled trial.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 152-162https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1906848
- Effect of a housing and case management program on emergency department visits and hospitalizations among chronically ill homeless adults: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 1771-1778https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.561
- Effect of community health worker support on clinical outcomes of low-income patients across primary care facilities: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1635-1643https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.4630
- Incorporating patients’ social determinants of health into hypertension and depression care: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Community Ment Health J. 2017; 53: 703-710https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-017-0131-x
- Standardized screening for health-related social needs in clinical settings: the accountable health communities screening tool.National Academy of Medicine, Washington, DCPublished May 30, 2017https://doi.org/10.31478/201705b
- A randomized trial on screening for social determinants of health: the iScreen study.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e1611-e1618https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1439
- Universal screening of social determinants of health at a large U.S. academic medical center, 2018.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: S219-S221https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305747
- Screening for health-related social needs of emergency department patients.Ann Emerg Med. 2021; 77: 62-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2020.08.010
- CPT® evaluation and management (E/M) office or other outpatient (99202–99215) and prolonged services (99354:99355, 99356, 99417) code and guideline changes.American Medical Association, Chicago, ILPublished January 1, 2021https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2019-06/cpt-office-prolonged-svs-code-changes.pdfDate accessed: October 21, 2021
Decoding social determinants of health. Missiouri Hospital Association. https://web.mhanet.com/media-library/decoding-social-determinants-of-health/. Published 2019. Accessed August 30, 2021.
Reidhead M, Moyer L, Gerimann A. Z Codes for Social Determinants of Health: which hospitals are most likely to use them and for which patients? Jefferson City: MO: Missiouri Hospital Association. https://www.mhanet.com/mhaimages/HIDIHealthStats/Jan2020_HealthStats_SDOH.pdf. Published 2020. Accessed August 30, 2021.
- Utilization of social determinants of health ICD-10 Z-Codes among hospitalized patients in the United States, 2016-2017.Med Care. 2020; 58: 1037-1043https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001418
- Health-related social needs and increased readmission rates: findings from the Nationwide Readmissions Database.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 1173-1180https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-021-06646-3
- Understanding the context of health for persons with multiple chronic conditions: moving from what is the matter to what matters.Ann Fam Med. 2014; 12: 260-269https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1643
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions among U.S. adults: estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2010.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E65https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.120203
- Prevalence of multiple chronic conditions in the United States’ Medicare population.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009; 7: 82https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-7-82
- Socioeconomic disparities and air pollution exposure: a global review.Curr Environ Health Rep. 2015; 2: 440-450https://doi.org/10.1007/s40572-015-0069-5
- Individual and neighborhood-level factors in predicting asthma.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005; 159: 759-763https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.159.8.759
- Disparities in asthma care, management, and education among children with asthma.Clin Pulm Med. 2013; 20: 172-177https://doi.org/10.1097/CPM.0b013e3182991146
- Asthma-related school absenteeism, morbidity, and modifiable factors.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 23-32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.12.012
- Uncontrolled asthma means missed work and school, emergency department visits for many Californians.Policy Brief UCLA Cent Health Policy Res. 2008; : 1-8https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18810806/Date accessed: August 30, 2021
Health and economic costs of chronic diseases. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/about/costs/index.htm. Updated 23 June 2021. Accessed August 30, 2021.
- Mortality in the United States, 2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; 355: 1-8https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db355.htmDate accessed: August 30, 2021
- Psychiatric diagnoses and risk of suicide in veterans.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1152-1158https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.129
- Drug abuse and suicidal behavior.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2004; 76: S1-S2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2004.08.001
- Confidence intervals for the ratio of two binomial proportions.Biometrics. 1984; 40: 513-517https://doi.org/10.2307/2531405
- Abandon statistical significance.Am Stat. 2019; 73: 235-245https://doi.org/10.1080/00031305.2018.1527253
- Initiating and implementing social determinants of health data collection in community health centers.Popul Health Manag. 2021; 24: 52-58https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2019.0205
- Bringing social context into diabetes care: intervening on social risks versus providing contextualized care.Curr Diab Rep. 2019; 19: 30https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-019-1149-y
- Variation in electronic health record documentation of social determinants of health across a national network of community health centers.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: S65-S73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.07.014
- Adoption of social determinants of health EHR tools by community health centers.Ann Fam Med. 2018; 16: 399-407https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2275
- Documenting social determinants of health-related clinical activities using standardized medical vocabularies.JAMIA Open. 2018; 2: 81-88https://doi.org/10.1093/jamiaopen/ooy051
- Second report to congress on social risk factors and performance in Medicare’s value-based purchasing program.HHS, Washington, DCPublished June 28, 2020https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/second-report-congress-social-risk-medicares-value-based-purchasing-programs(Accessed August 30, 2021)
- Social risk trial final report.National Quality Forum, Washington, DCPublished July 2017Accessed August 30, 2021)
- Social determinants of health in managed care payment formulas.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1424-1430https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.3317
- Unlocking race and ethnicity data to promote health equity in California: proposals for state action.Manatt, New York, NYPublished April 20, 2021https://www.manatt.com/insights/newsletters/health-highlights/unlocking-race-and-ethnicity-data-to-promote-healtDate accessed: October 21, 2021
Data modernization initiative. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/surveillance-data-strategies/data-IT-transformation.html. Updated April 9, 2021. Accessed April 30, 2021.
Data and research: epilepsy. Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention. Florida Department of Health. http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/epilepsy/Data-Research.html. Updated June 14, 2018. Accessed January 25, 2020.
- 2019 Florida Diabetes Report.Florida Diabetes Advisory Council, Tallahassee, FLPublished January 10, 2019http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/Diabetes-Resources/_documents/2019-dac-report.pdf(Accessed August 30, 2021)
- How do we define homelessness in large health care data? Identifying variation in composition and comorbidities.Health Serv Outcomes Res Method. 2021; 21: 145-166https://doi.org/10.1007/s10742-020-00225-5