Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The global prevalence of latent tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Respir J. 2019; 541900655https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00655-2019
Tuberculosis. WHO. https://www.who.int/health-topics/tuberculosis#tab=tab_1. Updated June 14, 2020. Accessed September 19, 2020.
- Burden of non-adherence to latent tuberculosis infection drug therapy and the potential cost-effectiveness of adherence interventions in Canada: a simulation study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e015108https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-015108
- Clinical and economic impact of medication non-adherence in drug-susceptible tuberculosis: a systematic review.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2020; 24: 811-819https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.19.0754
- Risk factors of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a global systematic review and meta-analysis.J Infect. 2018; 77: 469-478https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2018.10.004
- Development of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis during multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 182: 426-432https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200911-1768OC
- Guidelines for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: recommendations from the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association and CDC, 2020.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2020; 69: 1-11https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.rr6901a1
- Official American Thoracic Society/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Infectious Diseases Society of America Clinical Practice Guidelines: treatment of drug-susceptible tuberculosis.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: e147-e195https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciw376
- Incidence of serious side effects from first-line antituberculosis drugs among patients treated for active tuberculosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 167: 1472-1477https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200206-626OC
- Costs to health services and the patient of treating tuberculosis: a systematic literature review.Pharmacoeconomics. 2015; 33: 939-955https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-015-0279-6
- Directly observed therapy for tuberculosis: history of an idea.Lancet. 1995; 345 ([published correction appears in Lancet. 1995;346(8970):322]): 1545-1548https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(95)91090-5
- WHO Guidelines for treatment of drug-susceptible tuberculosis and patient care (2017 update).WHO, Geneva, Switzerland2017https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/255052/9789241550000-eng.pdf(Published)Date accessed: September 1, 2020
Tuberculosis. National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE). https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng33. Updated September 12, 2019. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- Directly observed therapy for treating tuberculosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 5 (2015)CD003343https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003343.pub4
- Adherence interventions and outcomes of tuberculosis treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis of trials and observational studies.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002595https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002595
- Does directly observed therapy improve tuberculosis treatment? More evidence is needed to guide tuberculosis policy.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 537https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-016-1862-y
- Patients’ costs and cost-effectiveness of tuberculosis treatment in DOTS and non-DOTS facilities in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e14014https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0014014
- Schraufnagel D. Video directly observed therapy for treatment of tuberculosis is patient-oriented and cost-effective.Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 871-874https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00011015
- Home videophones improve direct observation in tuberculosis treatment: a mixed methods evaluation.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50155https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0050155
- The use of videophone for directly observed therapy for the treatment of tuberculosis.Can J Public Health. 2013; 104: e272https://doi.org/10.17269/cjph.104.3869
- Synchronous and asynchronous video observed therapy (VOT) for tuberculosis treatment adherence monitoring and support.J Clin Tuberc Other Mycobact Dis. 2019; 17100098https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jctube.2019.100098
- Cost of tuberculosis therapy directly observed on video for health departments and patients in New York City; San Francisco, California; and Rhode Island (2017-2018).Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1696-1703https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305877
- Enhancing management of tuberculosis treatment with video directly observed therapy in New York City.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016; 20: 588-593https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.15.0738
- Smartphone-enabled video-observed versus directly observed treatment for tuberculosis: a multicentre, analyst-blinded, randomised, controlled superiority trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1216-1224https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32993-3
Directly observed therapy (DOT) for the treatment of tuberculosis. Minnesota Department of Health. https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/tb/lph/dot.html. Updated January 24, 2020. Accessed December 31, 2020.
- Advancing patient-centered care in tuberculosis management: a mixed-methods appraisal of video directly observed therapy.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018; 5: ofy046https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofy046
- Using video technology to increase treatment completion for patients with latent tuberculosis infection on 3-month isoniazid and rifapentine: an implementation study.J Med Internet Res. 2018; 20: e287https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.9825
- Video-observed therapy and medication adherence for tuberculosis patients: randomised controlled trial in Moldova.Eur Respir J. 2020; 562000493https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00493-2020
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l4898
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses.The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada2020http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp(Published)Date accessed: December 31, 2020
Quality assessment tool for before–after (pre–post) studies with no control group. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/study-quality-assessment-tools. Updated July 1, 2020. Accessed December 31, 2020.
- Adherence to medication.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 487-497https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra050100
Winkler A, Teuscher AU, Mueller B, Diem P. Monotoring adherence to prescribed medication in type 2 diabetic patients treated with sulfonylureas. Swiss Med Wkly. 2002;132(27–28):379‒385. doi: https://doi.org/10.2002/27/smw-10036.
WHO. Definitions and reporting framework for tuberculosis −2013 revision (updated December 2014 and January 2020). Geneva, Switzerland: WHO. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/79199/9789241505345_eng.pdf?. Published 2013. Accessed December 31, 2020.
- Challenges in meta-analyses with observational studies.Evid Based Ment Health. 2020; 23: 83-87https://doi.org/10.1136/ebmental-2019-300129
- Updates in the treatment of active and latent tuberculosis.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2018; 39: 297-309https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1660863
Higgins JPT, Thomas J, Chandler J, et al. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.1. Cochrane. https://training.cochrane.org/handbook. Updated September 2020. Accessed September 15, 2020.
- Estimating the sample mean and standard deviation from the sample size, median, range and/or interquartile range.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 135https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-14-135
- A Comprehensive app that improves tuberculosis treatment management through video-observed therapy: usability study.JMIR MHealth UHealth. 2020; 8: e17658https://doi.org/10.2196/17658
- Tuberculosis treatment monitoring by video directly observed therapy in 5 health districts, California, USA.Emerg Infect Dis. 2018; 24: 1806-1815https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2410.180459
- Telemedicine technologies and tuberculosis management: a randomized controlled trial.Telemed J E Health. 2020; 26: 1150-1156https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2019.0190
- Advantage in privacy protection by using synchronous video observed treatment enhances treatment adherence among patients with latent tuberculosis infection.J Infect Public Health. 2020; 13: 1354-1359https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2020.03.013
- Adoption of digital technologies in health care during the COVID-19 pandemic: systematic review of early scientific literature.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e22280https://doi.org/10.2196/22280
Jamison DT, Feachem RG, Makgoba MW, et al. Tuberculosis: disease and mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa, second edition. Washington, DC: The World Bank. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/7050. Published 2006. Accessed December 31, 2020.
- The application of telemedicine technology to a directly observed therapy program for tuberculosis: a pilot project.Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 33: 2082-2084https://doi.org/10.1086/324506
- Videophone utilization as an alternative to directly observed therapy for tuberculosis.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010; 14: 779-781