Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Mental health of transgender and gender nonconforming youth compared with their peers.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20173845https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-3845
- Health of transgender adults in the U.S., 2014-2016.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 336-344https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2018.04.045
- The report of the 2015 U.S. Transgender survey.National Center for Transgender Equality, Washington, DCDecember 2016https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS-Full-Report-Dec17.pdf(Published)Date accessed: November 8, 2021
- Self-reported physical and mental health of gender nonconforming transgender adults in the United States.LGBT Health. 2018; 5: 443-448https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2017.0275
- The health status of transgender and gender nonbinary adults in the United States.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0228765https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0228765
- Gender affirmation: a framework for conceptualizing risk behavior among transgender women of color.Sex Roles. 2013; 68: 675-689https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-012-0216-5
ID documents center. National Center for Transgender Equality. https://transequality.org/documents. Updated October 2021. Accessed October 29, 2021.
- The role of gender affirmation in psychological well-being among transgender women.Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers. 2016; 3: 336-344https://doi.org/10.1037/sgd0000171
- Social and medical gender affirmation experiences are inversely associated with mental health problems in a U.S. non-probability sample of transgender adults.Arch Sex Behav. 2020; 49: 2635-2647https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-020-01655-5
- Legal gender marker and name change is associated with lower negative emotional response to gender-based mistreatment and improve mental health outcomes among trans populations.SSM Popul Health. 2020; 11100595https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmph.2020.100595
- Gender-concordant identity documents and mental health among transgender adults in the USA: a cross-sectional study.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5: e196-e203https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30032-3
Oregon Health Authority. Oregon Health Plan: Application guide. Salem, OR: Oregon Health Authority. https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSforms/Served/he9025.pdf. Published May 2020. Accessed October 29, 2021.
Transhealth program. Washington State Health Care Authority.https://www.hca.wa.gov/health-care-services-and-supports/apple-health-medicaid-coverage/transhealth-program#to-change-your-gender-marker. Updated May 2020. Accessed October 29, 2021.
- Advancing methods for US transgender health research.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2016; 23: 198-207https://doi.org/10.1097/MED.0000000000000229
- Gender-inclusive and gender-specific approaches in trans health research.Transgend Health. 2021; 6: 235-239https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2020.0054
- Electronic medical records and the transgender patient: recommendations from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health EMR Working Group.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013; 20: 700-703https://doi.org/10.1136/amiajnl-2012-001472
- Perspectives from transgender and gender diverse people on how to ask about gender.LGBT Health. 2020; 7: 305-311https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2019.0295
- What sexual and gender minority people want researchers to know about sexual orientation and gender identity questions: a qualitative study.Arch Sex Behav. 2020; 49: 2301-2318https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-020-01810-y
- Assessment of health conditions and health service use among transgender patients in Canada.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2015036https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.15036
- Development of a natural language processing algorithm to identify and evaluate transgender patients in electronic health record systems.Ethn Dis. 2019; 29: 441-450https://doi.org/10.18865/ed.29.S2.441
- Cohort profile: Study of Transition, Outcomes and Gender (STRONG) to assess health status of transgender people.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e018121https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-018121
- A novel method for estimating transgender status using electronic medical records.Ann Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 198-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2016.01.004
Dubin S, Cook T, Liss A, et al. Comparing electronic health record domains' utility to identify transgender patients. Transgend Health. In press. Online November 25, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2020.0069.
- Temporal trends in gender-affirming surgery among transgender patients in the United States.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 609-616https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.6231
- Transgender Medicare beneficiaries and chronic conditions: exploring fee-for-service claims data.LGBT Health. 2017; 4: 404-411https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2016.0208
- Beyond gender identity disorder diagnoses codes: an examination of additional methods to identify transgender individuals in administrative databases.Med Care. 2020; 58: 903-911https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001362
- Estimating the health status of privately insured gender minority children and adults.LGBT Health. 2019; 6: 289-296https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2018.0238
- Primary care for transgender adolescents and young adults in Rhode Island: an analysis of the all payers claims database.J Adolesc Health. 2021; 68: 472-479https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2020.11.014
- Identifying the transgender population in the Medicare Program.Transgend Health. 2016; 1: 250-265https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2016.0031
- Identifying gender minority patients’ health and health care needs in administrative claims data.Health Aff (Millwood). 2018; 37: 413-420https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1295
- Use of administrative medical databases in population-based research.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2014; 68: 283-287https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-202744
- Building a citywide, all-payer, hospital claims database to improve health care delivery in a low-income, urban community.Popul Health Manag. 2013; 16: S20-S25https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2013.0037
- Using clinician text notes in electronic medical record data to validate transgender-related diagnosis codes.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2018; 25: 905-908https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocy022
- Access to care for transgender veterans in the Veterans Health Administration: 2006-2013.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S532-S534https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302086
- Trends in gender-affirming surgery in insured patients in the United States.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018; 6: e1738https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000001738
- Medicare prescription drug plan coverage of hormone therapies used by transgender individuals.LGBT Health. 2020; 7: 137-145https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2019.0306
- Social determinants of discrimination and access to health care among transgender women in Oregon.Transgend Health. 2020; 5: 225-233https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2019.0090
- Demographic characteristics and health status of transgender adults in select US regions: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2014.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 582-589https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303648
Chronic conditions data warehouse. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. https://www2.ccwdata.org/web/guest/condition-categories. Updated February 2021. Accessed October 29, 2021.
- Issues in developing a surveillance case definition for nonfatal suicide attempt and intentional self-harm using International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM) coded data.Natl Health Stat Report. 2018; : 1-19
- Validating data-driven methods for identifying transgender individuals in the Veterans Health Administration of the US Department of Veterans Affairs.Am J Epidemiol. 2021; 190: 1928-1934https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwab102
- Transgender population size in the United States: a meta-regression of population-based probability samples.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: e1-e8https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303578
- What is gender dysphoria? A critical systematic narrative review.Transgend Health. 2018; 3: 159-169https://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2018.0014
- The effect of ACA state Medicaid expansions on medical out-of-pocket expenditures.Med Care Res Rev. 2020; 77: 19-33https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558718768895
- Out-of-pocket spending and financial burden among low income adults after Medicaid expansions in the United States: quasi-experimental difference-in-difference study.BMJ. 2020; 368: m40https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m40